Eating And Pots!!!

anna

My son had a TTT yesterday and he did not have any notable increases in HR and in fact he seemed quite well!!! which to be honest has me very confused as he has been having a hard time over the last year! The only thing that he did different to usual was not eat for 16 hours! now does anyone here have any information or articles on eating triggering POTS!!!!

Oh and another thing my son is a carb monster and always has been, since being a toddler he has liked his toast!

That was my big issue and I was having very scary severe episodes after eating.

I realized my body did better without food.

It would either trigger my heart in a bad way and I would have almost an out of body experience for about 40 minutes with hard fast thumping heart rates difficulty breathing just really uncomfy and down right scary or it would trigger my vagus nerve it felt like I would get cold and clammy blood pressure would drop and I would feel like I was going out.

I basically stopped eating and lost way too much weight.

Now I've found foods I can tolerate and that usually doesn't happen any more and if I don't eat every 1-2 hours I start feeling really bad.

Nights are hardest I wake up feeling like I'm starving in a bad way. Not a empty stomach feeling-it literally feels like my body is wasting away-I hate that feeling and it isn't logical when I've eaten all day long every day that my body goes into this starvation mode at night.

Maybe my metabolism just never shuts down even though I'm sleeping it's like I'm still on hyper drive burning tons of calories.

It depended on the meal.

With chicken or a heavy carb it's up to almost an hour in and I just start feeling like death.

With other foods initially I can feel great and then 20 minutes in I get a bad feeling.

Like what ever process is going on with digestion is almost down right toxic.

I've even wondered if there could be a portion of my bowel with bad germs or unhealthy and when this area gets triggered it just makes me feel sick as a dog for about 10-15 minutes.

Not a nausea almost a chemical thing being released that is toxic.

With certain things like wheat right now I get an instant tightening if the throat which seems to be a spasm I'm going into. I did not show allergy to wheat in my allergy testing except for inhaled farm pollen.

And was negative for celiac.

Looking back now with the trouble eating if I had it to do over I would really recommend someone try to substitute with liquid nutrition rather than just not eating.

Being malnourished just makes everything 100 times worse.

I wonder if going to liquid could heal the gut and allergies. Would the body forget in time to react to things if you took a total break for 6 months to a year and just let the body and immune system be nourished with easy digestible absorbable nutrition?

Thanks Anna, I hope so too! (I share your name btw!)

Sue: Maybe 20 so minutes after I've eaten something (eating big meals usually is worse but sometimes small meals can be as bad) I get fatigued, lightheaded, clammy cold hands and feet (most of the time they are cold but not always sweaty) - sometimes sweaty all over, have strong palpitations and HR shoots up. Laying down helps with the dizziness but the rest remains. Lasts 1-2 hours usually.

Leize, you are in a class all yourself! You definitely sound like you have some kind of immediate allergic reaction. There are a slew of hormones and enzymes that get secreted with food intake, so who knows if you might have too much of one or another??

For the others, I've noticed two events going on regarding feeling bad after eating on this forum. The first is the fact that eating pulls more blood to the gastrointestinal system, obviously leaving less to circulate throughout the body, specifically the brain. I guess with less brain circulation, the brain must send out a cry for help(adrenaline) and thus the symptoms.

The other thing that can happen, and is my problem, is blood sugar dropping. I think it is imperative that anyone with symptoms related to eating start checking their blood sugar levels before eating, and again when your symptoms set in. I personally don't get my low blood sugar until 2-2 1/2 hours after eating, but some people get it early. It will cause the adrenaline rush also.

The symptoms of low blood sugar are: shaking, sweating with either feeling hot or cold, lightheadedness, dizziness, irritibility, confusion, forgetful, not fully aware(foggy), possible anxiety, and then the worse things are seizures and passing out. As you can see, these symptoms fit alot of what people here call their "POTS symptoms".

If nothing else, when you get the symptoms 20 minutes after eating, try eating something with a little sugar, such as milk or a little orange juice and see if your symptoms improve in 10 minutes. Try it again next time you feel bad also. If you notice food does not help, then you can assume it is POTS-related.

Yeah I figured as much too - if there's allready troubles getting the blood to go where it's supposed to when there's even less cause it's going to the digestive system it should aggravate symptoms. I'm gonna try out having a little sugar. I'm a student at the heart medicine clinic at the local hospital right now, I might actually steal the glucose meter and try what values I get before and after (can just say I wanna practice! ;) ).

I wander if it could be a bit of both going on with my children!! I am sure the whole blood sugar drops fit part of what is going on with my family, long long history of pancreatic problems on my side of the family!! I am not sure why my son was actually less symptomatic after fasting for 16 hours, I would have thought that his blood sugars have been very low by then!!! Does a normal glucose meter show up something like reactive hypoglycaemia?!

Yes it will.

I would say you could take it when they get symptomatic and see what it is.

Mine are usually within normal range when I check but my mom is diabetic and understands quite a bit about blood sugars and she always says it's not high enough for what i've just eaten.

Isn't it frustrating when the tests don't pick up on what actually happens? I had no symptoms at my first TTT, which was crazy since at that point I had them about 85% of the time when standing. I realized it was because I was freezing...my feet were blocks of ice, and I had goosebumps all over. Usually if I'm cold to that extent I remain less symptomatic for a longer period. So for the second TTT, I made sure to stay at a normal temp, and they were able to capture symptoms. I'm sorry it worked out that way for you -can the doctor do a poor man's test in office to get a more realistic view of what happens?

I know lots of things make me really bad: Potatoes make me faint most times I eat them and Fish, Icecream and Coke a cola can make me vomit most times I eat or drink them, I should stop eating so many things but I just feel life is to short! LOL!