colonoscopy

geneva

Thursday morning I am having my first colonoscopy and first conscious sedation. I have done all my homework-- reviewing all old posts on the subject --and think I have everything set up as well as one can.

I check in the hospital Wed afternoon to do the prep there so they can monitor me and administer fluids which will be very helpful since I know most of you wrote the prep is the worst for you. ALso I will meet with someone from anesthesia group at the hospital Wed and hopefully that will put my mind more at ease on sedation.

My husband will be with me which is a comfort too.

I am resting, doing mild yoga and visualization exercises with my instructor.....but with all this done, why am I not more relaxed?? My neck pain is worse today and I can feel that I am very close to a hyperadrenergic attacks which I hate. Whenever I get near a hospital this is always a challenge but I am determined to go through with this procedure! While I know this is not a big deal procedure, it is just something new for me to go through and my ANS seems to have some reservations (LOL).

Logically I know I will be fine but would welcome words of support.

Guest tearose

Geneva, you will do just fine!

Start to feel that support and know we'll be thinking of you!

It is normal for these new tests to make our gears go and it takes a lot of energy to try to slow down. Keep telling yourself "I will be fine", "I will now put these thoughts aside and think something else".

The waiting now is hard. Hang in there and try to stay with what works for you. Do yoga, meditate and of course, follow your breathing.

warm wishes, tearose

Guest tearose

Geneva,

See, I was just thinking about you! :) I just realized you didn't mention if you were bringing anything with you.

I tend think the air will be a bit cold so I think you should take warm socks and slippers and even a small cozy blanket.

Take your favorite cd or tape too!

bye again, with more support and more warm wishes!

:) tearose

Good luck, Geneva. You're gonna do great! I'm impressed with your preparedness ... everything is set. And it's normal for your ANS to have reservations! That's that, but you are you ... and YOU are as prepared mentally and physically as you could possibly be!

There's an image in Belleruth Naperstak's Successful Surgery CDs (which I used before mine and Emily is using before hers) -- even tho you're not having surgery, it's a helpful image that you can use too! Imagine that you're surrounded by "a magical band of allies" -- everyone you ever loved and who ever loved you--including special animals. This would also include all of your allies on this Forum! We are all surrounding you, cheering you on, proud of your accomplishments and all you've done to get ready for this test, proud of this step you're taking to care for your health and wellbeing. Your band of allies (including the doctors and technicians) will be with you in the procedure room and will see to your safety and confidence and recovery throughout the day.

Please let us know how you make out as soon as you feel up to posting again.

Best,

Merrill

geneva,

i just said the same thing to my mom....i'm still nervous even though everything is in place. a little stress on the ANS. it's just not in my nature to be cool as a cucumber i guess...so, like merrill said, it's just who we are.

tea and merrill already said great things. the band of allies is such a great image for me. i use it all of the time.

i was going to post to you today to wish you luck...so i am glad you had done that...you deserve a post all to yourself just for us to boost you up before your procedure!

you really do have everything set up in the best possible way to make the experience go smoothly.

i will send you good thoughts...from my hospital room to yours! i know, i don't like the whole hospital thing much either!

i do feel like today is hard, like you said...sort of counting the hours in anticipation.

i have also been using steph's imagery...of picturing myself post-surgery, all relaxed, the procedure over, healing well, and everyting having gone perfectly.

that helps me a lot.

please, of course, report back to us when you can and let us know how it all went.

i KNOW YOU ARE GOING TO BE FINE!

keep breathing! and i'll try to remember to do the same!

hugs, emily

Good luck tomorrow. I've had several of those exams--and the test itself was pretty easy. It was the preparation that messed with me for a few days ... more like a week after, to get over the extra dizziness.

Nina

My husband (suffers from NCS) just had one and the procedure was a breeze, he was slightly dizzy for a day afterwards but the prep was not pleasant. I had to beg him to finish the "overload solution" - a mix of laxative and electrolyte cherry flavored solution that he claims he could barely gag down. When the doctor met with us after the procedure he told us that next time we should ask for the Gatorade prep. Gatorade would surely taste better.

Guest tearose

Well Geneva, very soon this should all be "behind" you! :blink:

It is almost 8 am est and I'm visualizing you being well cared for...

I hope you can return to your own home by late morning.

Rest and when you are ready slowly start returning to your regular patterns.

warm wishes, tearose

Guest Mary from OH

Geneva-

I feel badly that I haven't gotten on to see your post in time!! I pray that your procedure went well. I would have reassured you and told you that you won't remember a thing. If I would have known that before my first one I think that would have eased so much of my anxiety. And, like Nina said, the PREP is the worst part!!

Hope you are home and resting soon!! Sorry I was on the late side!! I hope your scope gives you the answers you are looking for!!

;)

For those of you out there that have to have these. There's a new prep called half lytley. It's pills and only a half gallon of solution. SO MUCH BETTER. So if your doctor doesn't bring it up, you should. Also life savers popped in the mouth the second you drink the stuff helps a lot. It's the only way I can gag it down. It's the after taste that gets to me. morgan

Guest Mary from OH

You can't eat life savers after because they will cause staining in your colon. That's why your dr puts you NPO or on clear fluids with NO color. Otherwise your colon can look red because of dyes, etc.