Hives

HopeSprings

Ok ... now what? For the past two months or so I have been breaking out in hives. I have never had them before in my life. Oddly it's only above my upper lip. It will suddenly start to itch, then I look in the mirror and bam there they are. It usually happens in the morning before I've eaten anything, so I don't think it's something I'm coming in contact with or a food allergy. Wonder if the heart racing adrenaline stuff could bring it on? Anyone else get them?

Not sure what's going on with the hives. They were a sign of MCAD for me- despite repeated testing I am not actually allergic to anything.

Could they be related to your toothpaste? I noticed that had chronic bumps on my chin & around my mouth. I stopped using fluoride toothpaste and they went away. Tom's, all natural, without fluoride (they make some varieties WITH fluoride) has taken care of that problem.

The other idea that comes to mind for me is related to blood sugar. Could your blood sugar be very low in the AM- any signs of that? When I have bad episodes of hypoglycemia, I break out in hives. I briefly joined an online hypoglycemia support group to learn more and found out that MANY there had hives when their blood sugar was low- no idea what that's about :blink: Thought I'd throw it out there :rolleyes:

Sorry you have one more thing to deal with!

I too get hives. Sometimes more than others, I can go a week or so without. But mine can be anywhere, but the most annoying is on the palms of my hands or soles of the feet. But most often get them on my arms and sometimes on my face. Once I got into a heated conversation with my boss about a suboptimal coworker and into the conversation started to scratch and realized I had them all the way up my arms. For me it may be an adrenaline release. But the hands and feet I usually wake up with. I can't really relate it to anything.

I have noticed with a hot bath - I start to itch and then the hives appear - thats happened a handful of times or so. Sitting in the sun causes them too. But as for the other times I haven't got a clue what brings them on.

Tell you what else I get which is weird: after swimming or a bath I come up in a brown rash all underneath my breasts and torso which looks sort of like a load of freckles. They last about 30 mins then go. I have had some strange looks when I have stood in the communal shower.

For all with hives and itching:

you should see a dermo and do it ASAP! I'm not kidding! It can be allergy or "just" urticaria (it can also be caused by heat or pressure or cold..) or mastocytosis/MCAD. Antihistamines can help, but you should consult your doctor.

I am interested in the topics of hives related to dysautonomia too. It seems this week is when my relapse in autonomic neuropathy occurred and it started with hives. I broke out into hives for 3 days, took xyzal and my tachycardia and other autonomic symptoms seem to get really bad. I thought it was the xyzal doing it but after stopping the medication, I am still couch ridden and cannot stand up for very long. 2 doctors appt this week which prob wont tell me much bcuz no one seems to know anything about dysautonomia. I really wonder if hives have any relation to dysautonomia?

All dysautonomia experts agree that controlling allergies is very important in autonomic dysfunction. Hives can be a symptom of an allergy. If they're out of control, autonomic symptoms will worsen. That being said, the other connection between hives and dysautonomia is a mast cell disorder. Mast cell disorders can cause tachy , blood pressure changes, and many other symptoms: http://tmsforac.ipower.com/dev/archives/179