Difficulty Talking

starby

Does anyone else have problems talking due to muscle fatigue? When I'm paticularly bad I feel my chest and stomach muscles contract and this causes great difficulty talking to people. I'm usually ok with short conversations but really struggle with long intense ones. Sometimes it sets my heart off as well. I also have a diagnosis of CFS so not sure if the talking problems relate to this, the POTS, both or neither.

If anyone does have this problem is there anything you've found helpful to deal with it? I'm guessing pacing is the main one - avoiding long conversations too often. This is so limitating socially though.

Sorry I don't have anything to offer that helps. This happens to me as well. For me it only happens when I'm at my worst, which I am grateful for. I go into "quiet mode." I keep the talking to the bare minimal to conserve my energy, like you said. I have to say that it is a really weird feeling when you just can't talk because it just takes too much out of you. I would never be able to understand if I didn't go through it. You're not alone.

Thanks for replying Tablet. I'm so glad someone understands! I too only get this when I'm very bad but unfortunately it seems to be occuring more often lately. Like you I have to cut back on talking during those times and only allow one intense conversation every so often. I experience a sort of weak and tight feeling in my chest and stomach when I'm struggling and this sometimes causes my heart to race. It's really unpleasant, like being held in a vice.

P.S. The feeling often causes me to cough too - does anyone else get this? I know I need to stop talking when I have the urge to cough.

I also struggle sometimes with talking and get that cough. I also have some trouble finding the right words on days that I'm feeling pretty bad. Sometimes I just have to speak in almost a whisper, and tell my boyfriend I need to just be quiet. He's very understanding, luckily. Sorry I don't have any cures!

Yes I have difficulty with this too, but for other reasons. It has multi-layers - there's the difficulty accessing words to begin with, the major effort getting words from brain to tongue, and when I'm doing really poorly- difficulty with the mechanics of speaking (getting words out coherently). There are times when I know I'm not going to be able to say a word and I'll try to substitute it for another word that works. And the worst is when the words come out just plain messed up and I sound like I'm drunk or have a stutter. It's embarrassing and frustrating.

Yes, sometimes talking is very difficult. The effort, the word search, the concentration so I don't slur my speech like I'm drunk all become a problem. I don't feel like I have to cough but it does nauseate me when I'm really struggling. I try to stay as quiet as possible. My family has finally figured out that I'm not being rude, I'm just trying not to vomit but it took them a while. I have found that an ice pack on the back of my neck or on my chest when I'm feeling like that helps a little. Please know you are not alone. :-)

I had a speech study done at the Mayo and I failed! I had complained because sometimes I would get so tired just talking on the phone, and a few times was unable to talk. It was kind of like a final straw, like I was stuck in the house and I could not even talk on the phone!

The speech study I had to read a little paragraph 3 times. After the second time it was tiring and the third time I could not finish. I also tested positive for a startle reflex(I did not even know the SLP was doing that part of the test).

They did a swallow test and it was fine. The PT gave me some muscle strengthening excerises to work on. I also found that when my stomach is full the speech is harder or if I am standing and talking it is harder, not sure how this blood pooling works but I know if I want to talk for a long period of time I have to have not eaten recently and well rested and sitting/laying down. I usually preplan my day around when I will have to talk for long periods of time.

I have also noticed it is alot harder to talk on certain phones. I usually use speaker phone. If I have to hold the phone I get tired very quickly.

I have H-pots so when my converstaions are stressful I notice that I tire more easily.

I hope you get some relief, I totally understand how you feel.

I have this too. If I'm just tired and talking is too much activity, laying down flat and resting will help.

If this feeling is associated with a jittery feeling all over, then I need to eat something sweet followed by a protein but also sit or lay down perfectly still till it goes away.

BUT ... the low blood sugar / can't talk feeling was also how I felt just before having a 2 hour seizure back in March. I carry Klonopin with me now. :blink: (I'm a mess ... )

I get this too. I usually know what I am trying to say (sometimes I can't remember some of the words I'm trying to use though) but I can get pretty tongue-tied at times. Usually the physical symptoms of talking are worse than the brain fog though. I get really tired when talking and like I don't have the energy to form the words sometimes. I also get out of breath when talking at times. I try to just stay quiet when my symptoms are worse and avoid situations where I will have to talk a lot. I definitely get "the cough" too. I hate it when I am talking to a friend and I keep having to cough just to be able to talk! It is weird.

I've found that I get short of breath in normal, everyday conversation. If I keep talking, it can get to the point where I struggle to speak. This I've been told is due to my autonomic dysfunction.

I also have found that I randomly swallow in the middle of a word or sentence, or at least my body tries to but I'm talking at the same time so I end up making an odd "click" noise. My tongue trips over my words on a regular basis. I figure both of these things are related to my vagus nerve, which I've been told doesn't function correctly.

I haven't been able to do anything about any of it, though :/

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm sorry I can't address each of you, but I'm glad to know I'm not alone!

I get the nausea plus shortness of breath too :( The idea of whispering when it gets too much is a good one, plus lying down and not trying to talk when I've eaten a big meal. I will give the ice pack idea a go too.

I felt really alone with this so it does help to know I'm not, even if there's not much that can be done about the problem.