Getting Up In The Morning

Allene

I imagine this is a big problem for almost everyone with any kind of dysautonomia, but I have major issues getting out of bed in the morning or if I get up at night for a bathroom trip. I almost always have a near-fainting episode, and sometimes I faint just getting out of bed! I don't launch myself out of bed either. I sit up, and sit there for a bit, and then I slowly stand. This doesn't seem to make a difference, but I do it anyway because I'm simply too stiff to get up quickly. Most of my fainting episodes are in the morning getting out of bed.

Does anyone have ways they cope with this?

I have a 3 y.o. that launches me out of bed in the morning. He's normally the 1st to arrive to jump start my day. I've got the sit stand schedule mastered. I have 2 spots for an emergency seat near my bed and that has been a life saver for me. Some mornings it takes several tries to stand up. My kids have learned to be patient. They know mom gets tired and needs to rest. Thank goodness for patient kids!! My husband helps with the morning routine when he can and that gives me some much needed wake up time. Calf raises help me a lot when I 1st stand up as well. More blood flow to my brain I guess. Hope you find something that works for you! If I have a bad day I try to focus on being thankful I can stand at all!

Brye

I went through a bout of very low BP a few months ago. I was caring for our 2 y/o so there was no opportunity to take more than a few minutes getting up out of bed once she was awake! I would keep a midodrine at my bedside and put it under my tongue to make it get into my bloodstream faster. I also kept a 1/2 liter of extremely salty fluids next to the bed and drank them upon waking.

Another thought I had was getting a small office chair or a stool with wheels (like the ones doctors use) that you could use to roll to the bathroom.

My 16 year old was recently given these instructions by her doctor concerning morning time. She was told to take her beta blocker with 8 ounces of water (kept by her bed) and then lie down 10 minutes. Then she sits on her bed and does 20 arm curl ups with weights, then 10-20 squats, and then 20 up and down on toes. I think those are the exercises but basically ones to pump blood throughout the body.

My doctor advised my to have water and something salty on my nightstand so I can get some hydration and salt into me before I try to stand up. I also have a cup of coffee or green tea after I eat breakfast. Do any of you also drink some caffeine first thing in the morning? I find it really helps me.

Cheers,

J

i always have a bottle of fresh water at my nightstand. i usually drink when i wake up during the night as i do feel quite thirsty. i start drinking when i wake up as well and have breakfast with a big mug of tea. after an hour or so i have two mugs of coffee.

corina :)

I totally echo sue's feeling drunk! There's lots of bumping into walls when I first get up. Lol. In addition to water, moving slow, etc - I try to do gentle stretches lying flat in bed since just waking up is hard let alone being able to stand. Especially stretches involving twisting the torso seem to wake up my spine and get my body into a better state. Every little thing helps.