For Those Allergiic/sensitive To Most Meds

gertie

I'm 68 yrs old & of all the meds I've been given over those years I have 2 prescriptions drugs I am not terrified to take when needed. That also includes vitamins & otc drugs. I've never been afraid to try a new treatment or supplement but they have all made me feel worse.

If any of you have this problem, how do you manage not to be terrified to go to a dr or dentist? The thoughts of having surgery makes me ill. I've been deathly ill from gall bladder attacks but feel that if I go for surgery I'll have to take antibiotics which I'm also allergic to. The drugs don't just make me feel bad they cause seizure, syncope, migraines, heart problems etc. Thanks.

I'm the same way. Just like with the chemical sensitivity, it's like a filter is missing and everything hits the system in a dramatic way. Are you ok with just regular penicillin? When I've HAD to be on antibiotics, I asked the Dr. to just skip the fancy stuff and give me Amoxicillin. I did ok with it. Gall bladder attacks are awful. I had to have mine removed because I couldn't take it anymore. Maybe you can work with your Dr. to get medicines that will agree with you?

Thanks Naomi, I would be happy if I could find 1 antibiotic I could take. I think Penicillin may have caused the worst reaction with throat swelling, itching, rash. Mycins are equally as bad. I've started with 1/8 dose even pediatric liquid & it's all bad. I know at my age I can't get by without something I can take for infections.

The dr's I have access too have tried everything over the years. I know they hate having me as a patient.

Ok, definitely skip the Penicillin then! I really do know how you feel. Advil and Penicillin are all I've got. And when Dr's see me coming, I'm sure they wish they could run away. I was looking through old Dr. records the other night and found a notation from one Dr. in 1998 "difficult patient" -he actually wrote that down. How cliche. Not trying to be difficult here people, just need you to do your job - diagnose and cure me, then I'll be out of your hair. :D Sorry, I'm ranting all over your thread. Hope others can give you some helpful advice.

Alicia,

I have lots of problems with sensitivity to meds too. They cause me many problems including heart racing and pounding, shaking and tremors, nausea, weakness, insomnia, diahrea, and many more. I also have similar reactions to chemicals and foods. It has gotten a lot worse in the last year. I'm not sure there are even any antibiotics I can take now.

I recently went to see Dr. Grubb and he said I probably have a mast cell disorder (MCAD). He wanted me to start taking 2 Claritin pills per day (one in morning and one at night) and after a few weeks add an H2 blocker like Pepcid or Zantac. He also wanted me to take Singulair, but I can't tolerate it. He said if I feel better on this medicine regime then I likely do have a mast cell problem. He said it can be difficult to diagnose MCAD and trying the meds and seeing if they help is a "clinical diagnosis".

It might be worth a try for you to try an antihistamine like Benadryl, Claritin, Zyrtec, or Allegra and see if it helps. I can tolerate some of them better than others. Dr. Grubb even said that sometimes patients can tolerate a generic instead of the brand name or vice versa depending on what the inactive ingredients are in it. I know it is very unpleasant, but you might have to try a few before you can find one you tolerate.

I hope you can find some relief soon!

Jenny