Getting Sick After Eating

My 16 yr old son is one of those that has put on a lot of weight since he became sick. While nausea is his worst symptom, he has always been able to eat through it. Now, though, after eating he feels sick for several hours. This is a new one for him. He used to have gastropareisis, but was retested this year and no longer had it. Even when he did have it, he could eat and not be sick.

Now he is limiting what he is eating because he doesn't want to be sick afterwards. Does anyone else experience this? We have an appt next week with his POTS dr and thought I would go with as much info as I could.

Thanks,

Christy

Hi Christy,

One of my boys more consistent issues. Comes and goes, can last for weeks. I have found I can usually force him to dring the Kelloggs Chocolate Protien shakes and nibble on protien bars. Have him make a list of what he thinks he might be able to eat a little of and make it available. He used to get mad at me for always trying to bring him food. Mostly I give up and just let it go. Eventually he is able to eat something.

This one happens to me every so often. Comes in spurts and started up again this week, so I really sympathize. I think, at least in my case, the nausea relates to how long a meal sits in my stomach. A little bit longer than normal is fine, but when it starts going on 4+ hours and all of a meal is still in my stomach...it's uncomfortable.

Eating a piece of candied/sugared ginger helps. It might take a while to get used to the taste, but it really does work.

• 3 weeks later...

Be careful! This is the part that really made K spiral out of control fast! She was really struggling with eating and nausea and had gotten to a point of eating almost nothing, which affects your heart in bad ways on it's own. Add POTS and PAF to that and we had a few close calls where it was life/death in the hospital and a code was pulled. The round the clock Zofran has helped her tremendously and we also added Periactin - that helps with nausea and increases appetite. Ask about it when you go to the doctor. Good luck!

Unfortunately Zofran has never helped at all..oral or IV. Periactin also failed, along with every nausea medication they have tried. That is why he has been nauseated for over 2 years now. He says it is always there, but in varying degrees of severity. He has always been able to eat through it though. Now, he is sick after eating, not nauseated so he is reluctant to eat because he knows what will come afterwards.

His doctors in Cleveland and here at home(St Louis) have both determined his nausea is neurological not a GI issue. We are heading to the Mayo Clinic in October, so maybe they can give us more answers.

Christy

Sometimes J is able to nibble on protien bars and they don't bother him too much. I clean out the protien bar shelves when I go, some of this, some of that to have a big selection at home. I don't like them much but he can tolerate them. Also the kelloggs chocolate protien shakes are actually really good, maybe you could freeze them and he could eat just a little at a time so his stomach doesn't really feel like anything is actually in it.

When I first got POTS I lost a lot of weight and couldn't eat. I tried Ensure but I found it thick and yucky so I started drinking Slim Fast. It about the same thing as Ensure only more liquid. Also, I could tolerate ice cream. I find smooth and liquid things go down better when I am not hungry or nauseated.

This sounds like food intolerances to me. Even the weight gain could be from food intolerances.

Have you taken your son in for food allergy or antibody tests ? An integrative or holistic doctor will look for food intolerances and nutritional deficiencies while a traditional doctor will run tests and prescribe drugs. I had a long list of GI diagnosises and drugs when I was seeing traditional doctors but they went away with dietary changes. It's in my signature ...

Another way to look at this is - if you slammed your finger in a car door on a regular basis, a traditional doctor would xray the finger and biopsy the damaged skin so he could accurately diagnose the damage. Then he'd give you drugs or surgery to fix it EACH time. This way you keep coming back. A holistic or integrative doctor would tell you not to slam your finger in the car door anymore ... :P

hope he feels better ... d

PS I had to learn this the hard way myself. After 50 years of listening to my doctors I finally figured out most of my problems were from food intolerances and nutritional deficiences.

My daughter had a terrible time after eating - she would get dizzy and nauseous frequently. When she was put on Octreotide, it helped enormously with this. She wasn't actually put on it for this reason, but the whole sick after eating thing went away immediately. She has NMH, not POTs per se. We just got back from Mayo and they confirmed for us that the Octreotide was probably helping her a lot.

CHRISTYD,

I am so sorry to hear about this. Eating is so important to feeling well -- it is so scary when eating makes you feel worse. Have you considered reactive hypoglycemia (RH)? RH is when blood sugar drops in non-diabetics within hours of eating. Maybe my experience sounds familiar.

I have also experienced weight gain, nausea, brain fog and other cognitive issues with my autonomic neuropathy. After years of addressing/treating GI issues, food intolerances, nutritional issues, and adapting my diet numerous times, I never considered hypoglycemia. My sugars have been normal and my adrenaline symptoms happen after coming out of my episodes. Elevated insulin levels during my symptoms prompted this new glimpse into dysfunction of my glucose metabolism. I am now monitoring sugars at home to try to catch the hypos and learning how important it is to eat protein and fats with low GI carbs to smooth out my spikes, prevent my lows, and improve symptoms.

Best wishes in sorting this all out.

Lyn

Interesting Lyn,

I was having frequent hypoglycemic symptoms although my blood sugars were usually considered in normal range...I would do a fast drop and when I was symptomatic it was typically at a blood sugar of 90.

It took me a long time to adjust to the low glycemic index diet but now that I'm eating those foods I don't notice the blood sugar issues hardly at all.

Dizzysillyak - how did you find out which foods you cant tolerate? Was it through elimination diet or another way?

Hi D,

My doc ordered stool testing to check for antibodies. This found gluten, egg white and I think soy. It's been awhile so I can't remember if soy was found this way. I get phlegm in my throat within minutes of drinking soy milk tho. I don't have antibodies or any gut symptoms to dairy but I get dark marks around my eyes that take 7 - 10 days to go away ... so both methods have their merits. d

I have IBS related to my dysautonomia. Recently, it's really been bad. I'll get bloating and cramping and general discomfort after every meal. Diarrhea takes me down about twice a week now. I also have gastroparesis, which makes me nauseous. This past week, I went online to find out what kinds of foods can make IBS worse, and also to see what I can do about the gastroparesis. I've cut out dairy and wheat, and consciously have been eating low-fat and foods low in acidity. For the gastroparesis, I drink a (homemade) protein shake in the morning, and have several small meals during the day instead of three big ones. I haven't experienced any problems since I started doing this. My appetite has returned, and when I eat I don't feel like I'm cramming food into an overpacked tummy.

A few things have helped with the nausea. Papaya Enzyme (purchased at any health food store). They're chewable. Take 3 or 4 every 15 minutes or so and they help you digest food. Also accupuncture and accupressure. There's a pressure point about two or three inches down from your wrist bend on the inside. Pressing that can help relieve nausea. I've found accupuncture helps (when my insurance covered it) with the feeling of food being stuck in my stomach.

Sara