Bad case of the Flu

Timbo

I just got over what I can only describe as the worst flu of my life. Now I am having moderate fatigue after it and when I lay down I get short of breath. I have had POTS related shortness of breath before but not after laying down.

Has anyone else experienced this? Oh and I HIGHLY recommend getting a flu shot every year. I found out how bad it can be the hard way.

Tim, I'm sorry to hear that you were so sick and still not feeling well. My son has the flu right now and has been running a fever over 103 for 5 days now. I am petrified to get it as he has actually coughed in my mouth (he is 4 and likes to share his germs with mom). I did have a flu shot, though, so hopefully I will get protection from that.

I am not sure about the shortness of breath when lying down. I am usually relieved by lying down. You are probably just having some after effects from the flu stressing your respiratory system and you will probably feel better soon. I wouldn't hesitate to get it checked out though.

Hope you are better soon.

Elaine

Hi! I hope you feel better soon. I suggest you get your lungs listened to or x-rayed. After a bad case of flu, my husband had this symptom. They thought he had pneumonia, but it turned out that he was having asthmatic bronchitis brought on by the flu. Really, the only way the doctors could tell was by the chest xray.

Best of luck.

Tim,

I'm sorry to hear that the flu came your way ;) I agree with Elaine, that this is probably an after effect and it will pass with time. It really can take our bodies a long time to heal after something like that, weeks or even months of symptoms would not be uncommon. But if you feel that it's very bad, definitely get it checked out, just to be safe!! Feel better soon!!

So so sorry for you. Do be gentle with yourself even after you start to feel better it's so important not to overdo. Follow your bodies wisdom, perhaps propping up with pillows instead of lieing flat. There is a wonderful tea I use called "breathing thyme" -- that is great for respiratory issues.

Good thoughts your way.

EM

Tim, I am really sorry to hear you had the flu. Both my in-laws HAD the flu shot in October and BOTH came down with the flu and were hospitalized a week (in isolation). They both got pneumonia and the doctors say it will be weeks before full strength is restored. I know your body may just be weak and reacting to being overtaxed by the flu but be sure to let your doctor know so if you need to be checked for pneumonia they will. One interesting thing I learned is that when the first chest xray done in the ER was negative for pneumonia, the regular physician said you can't tell anything from a chest xray when the person is dehydrated. After IV treatment the pneumonia was seen.

I hope you get to feeling better soon. TAKE CARE

No pneumonia symptoms. I have had it before and it was no fun! I am getting my flu shot next year.

The shortness of breath is gone. The flu must have caused it. As soon as my lungs cleared, it went away.

I have some lingering fatigue/weakness but that is normal and could last a couple of weeks afterwards.

Edited by Timbo