What Is Low Blood Pressure To You?

I have only rarely gotten a low reading on my son (84/34). Now that we have his diagnosis and also the fact that the bp cuff causes him extreme pain I don't take it anymore. On the tilt table test he had a low reading similar to that also, but quite delayed.

I have wondered about something. Since he has symptoms of low bp but I could only "catch" a low reading a couple of times, I feel like perhaps his bp dipped very low but by the time I tried to get a measurement it went back up but left him with symptoms of tunnel vision, blurry vision, weakness, dizziness, loss of balance... etc. which would last a very long time sometimes. It can take him quite awhile to recover from an episode. With the florinef and midodrine, this is much more rare (which maybe validates my theory?)

Well, I keep trying to donate blood but they won't let me donate if my bp is 90/50 or lower (which makes sense). Before midodrine kicks in, usually sitting down I'm around 70-80/40, but I don't notice unless I am at a doctor or the donation center or something.

I know it's too low when the wooossshhhhh bbuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz sounds are in my ears. Then it's time to lay down! Or if I wake up on the ground. Then I know it was too low :-P

I am told 80/40 is fine by some of the docs, I have a midodrine script but not filled it yet, scared of it lowering my pulse.

What is frustrating is I fell crappy at 80/40 but then when it's up to 100/60 I still feel crappy, so not sure if it's the low BP doing anything or not.

oh and I can't donate blood, I've lived in Europe, they only want American blood here they tell me LOL

Oh my gosh donating blood?! Wow that is crazy! I think I would die! Lol

Even getting my blood pulled for test, I have to lay down or I pass out.

:) I'm not sure if I can yet, I always get disqualified in the screening round! But I figure if some people feel worse than we do, I should try to help them out because I can't even imagine feeling worse sometimes!

I am told 80/40 is fine by some of the docs, I have a midodrine script but not filled it yet, scared of it lowering my pulse.

What is frustrating is I feel crappy at 80/40 but then when it's up to 100/60 I still feel crappy, so not sure if it's the low BP doing anything or not.

Really? Midodrine did nothing to lower my pulse, though I wish it had! Usually the way I feel relates to how fast my HR is rather than my blood pressure. SSRI's made things way worse for me. I vote you just go ahead and try things, and if isn't working, you can always stop and try something new!

Oh yes it varies min by min. But those numbers are low so midodrine should help. I hate taking new meds because I have a phobia if them, but midodrine is so short acting, that if you absolutely hate it it will be out of your system very fast. Just start at 2.5 mgs and see how you do!

Oh yes it varies min by min. But those numbers are low so midodrine should help. I hate taking new meds because I have a phobia if them, but midodrine is so short acting, that if you absolutely hate it it will be out of your system very fast. Just start at 2.5 mgs and see how you do!

I have the same BP's 24/7 so how would it work at night when not taking the med?

From age 9 - 44, my bp "normal" was 90/60 with feelings of lightheadedness, fainting, fatigue etc. My EP prescribed Toprol and it kept dropping so they sent me to the ER and said they had never seen a person with bp as low as mine who was sitting up and fine - they gave me a shot (can't remember what it was) hooked me up to IV's and pumped me full of fluids which I could float a boat with lol even with the shot; my bp stayed at 70/40 and hr of 40 for 11 hours then they said it was just my whacky system and felt I was stabilized enough to go home with a warning of no more Toprol.

During my TTT my bp plummeted to 0 and I had no palpable pulse; which I'm told is rare but not what caused it - I think it's due to Nitro; and still seraching for answers

Hi Shoegal,

I have the same problem. BP can be 100/70 or 89/60 and there is no correlation with symptoms, I can't make sense of it. I am wondering if it's Midodrine time for me too. But like you say, is it the BP that is making us feel sick or something else? It seems like such a simple question to me and yet, no real answer.

Hi Shoegal,

I have the same problem. BP can be 100/70 or 89/60 and there is no correlation with symptoms, I can't make sense of it. I am wondering if it's Midodrine time for me too. But like you say, is it the BP that is making us feel sick or something else? It seems like such a simple question to me and yet, no real answer.

I hate taking pills and scared to try it, stupid I know. But I do wonder as well given how small I am if lower BP is less of an issue

I consider low to be 80/50; however, my blood pressure has droped waaay lower. I used to get scared when I would see the nurses face, but after awhile you learn to laugh it off. After all, I feel fine! B)

you go lower?? do tell! How low before you'd ring 911? You feel fine with it low?

I've been at the doctor's office and they've gotten it in the low 70's high 60's, so nothing compared to the other peole on here! I can hit 75 and feel fine, but other times it will give me trouble at 90/something... *sigh* Just another thing I don't understand about us dysautonomics...

Sorry, I don't know why I said waaay lower. That was silly of me.

I've been at the doctor's office and they've gotten it in the low 70's high 60's, so nothing compared to the other peole on here! I can hit 75 and feel fine, but other times it will give me trouble at 90/something... *sigh* Just another thing I don't understand about us dysautonomics...

Sorry, I don't know why I said waaay lower. That was silly of me.

do you treat it? are you small out of interest? I'm only little 4"10