Potsy After Eating

gertie

I don't think POTSY is a word but don't know how else to describe it. I had plans with DH this a.m.,& felt ok when I got up. I was eating breakfast when I started feeling lethargic, my arms felt weak & I couldn't finish breakfast. I stopped eating & started getting dressed & doing a few light chores hoping to work myself out of this feeling. I continued to be weak, not exactly nauseous but just blah & wanted to lay down. I could not bring myself out of this feeling so I finally told DH to go without me. Three hours later I'm still tired. I've done this before but haven't been able to figure out the cause. I ate nothing that I haven't eaten before. Do you know if there are certain foods that cause this more than others? How do you avoid it? I had not eaten but a few bites so I don't think I had overeaten. Thanks for your help. What makes the most angry is I wasted time & energy getting dressed & then didn't get to leave the house.

YES--I always have had my very worst POTS symptoms in the AM after eating. I believe it is b/c blood pools to the stomach AND we are more dehydrated in the AM after lying in bed for 8 hrs. I think also after lying down for so long, getting up and adjsting to being upright takes some time. Perhaps there are other reasons too. Anyway taking in more fluids and eating a small, salty protein-rich meal seems to minimize symptoms for me.

I had a bad feeling episode today too right after eating.

I swear it felt like a heart attack with numbness and weird feeling in my left arm.

It felt as if my heart had slowed way down but when I checked my pulse and bp they were totally normal.

I had a bit if lightheadedness during and then after felt exhausted-like I could go to sleep.

It's just mind boggling.

The idea that this can just come out of the blue at any time is intimidating.

I used to have this feeling too after I ate in the morning, but I have learned to wait a little while in the morning before I eat. I will usually get up in the morning and wait for the morning dizziness to wear off. I will drink several glasses of water and wait about an hour. Usually I am starving by now and I am able to eat quite a bit and not feel so bad after eating. I will also "try" to go for a walk right after I eat. I assuming that this can help by not letting all the blood pool in the abdomen.

-Ryan

I get POTSY sometimes while eating (and after too), especially larger meals. It just happened over the weekend, was in the middle of eating mexican food when the dizzy/drunk like fog washed over me. It's such an obvious switch from sorta ok to totally out there. I don't get all the other symptoms you described, but definitely dizziness worsens.