Yay Finally!

Dani,

I am glad the Lexapro is working for you. I took a small dose for awhile before I knew I had pots. It seemed to help me. Now that I know about the pots I've been contemplating trying it again. Maybe it, along with my other changes, would help me improve even more. I just worry about withdraw if I have to go off of it. That wasn't much fun last time.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

I am still on 2.5 mg and its working! Only issue still is the waiting for the dose to kick in. Between the time it wears out (about 1 or 2) I get really dizzy and sick, but am great when it kicks in. It takes my body FOREVER to process the med for some reason :[

Heya

MIRACLE DRUG for sure! I started it nearly two weeks ago...had big BP drops several times a day that had me running to the bathroom vomiting, dizzy etc...v draining . I Had to defer final year of college till next year cos of POTS. Started lexapro and overnight for the first time in a year vomiting and all other POTS symptoms disappeared! :) Im So HAPPY! Went into college last week and they are happy to let me back...feel like im gettin my life back..if only I had gone on Lexapro sooner!

But I have the same issue as you Dani which im concerned about...Im only taking 2.5mg at 9am (was perscribed 5mg but its much too strong) Im having side effects from drug during day but overall am much better and am hopeful if i wait it out for another couple of weeks these symptoms will disappear. The drug seems to wear off by 9/10pm thou nd i start to feel rubbish again...got up during night last night and for the first time since i started drug i began Wretching again, obviously it had worn off n BP dropped when i got up.

I'm thinking might it be wise to take the other half of tab 2.5mg at 9pm in the evening?? I'm not sure though is that wise with these drugs as I know they are slow release and it might be too much?

Any advice much appreciated!

I started on 2.5mg a few weeks ago...and bumped up to 5mg last week (my original RX). I'm considering moving back down to 2.5...since I get nausea and sick to my stomach quite often. Not sure if this is due to the dysautonomia or meds.

Does 2.5mg seem to be the consensus RX that is most helpful?

Actually 3 years ago I took the full 10 mg and that is when I felt the best than I ever had. Barely any POTS symptoms at all for a year and a half until I got pregnant.

The bad part is getting up to the full 10. Its not fun, but if you can do it, I would really advise it. 2.5 mg does not last all day for me. I know I need to be at atleast 5mg :[ It is just hard for me to because the first 2 weeks I do anything with my dose I am completely inactive at all and I have a toddler to watch.

Just remember that you wont see a true positive benefit for at least 6 weeks. For me, it was more like 2 months. Then when you up the dose, you will most likely get the start up side effects again. They shouldnt be as bad, but for me, they are definently there.

Good luck! really try to get to at least 5mg, if not 10. I felt SOOOOO good on 10 mg. My bp was completely stable all day and hr was pretty normal. I really wish I didnt have to go off it before and go back to square one all over again.

Thanks so much for that advice Dani!

The 2.5mg is having great effects, still no POTS Symptoms!! But as I'm only on day 14 therefore have miserable side effects and no appetite...woke this morning feeling slightly better and managed a decent brekkie so after reading your posts today I'm very positive if I hold out everything will improve for me :)

But they do wear off by evening so your advice re: gettin up to the 5mg I may try soon. The only problem is, if I'm lucky enough, college is going to let me go back in 2 weeks. I'm a Student Midwife and this involves 12hr shift work :o going thru all these side effects again in a couple of weeks will br a nightmare if I'm working!!

Have you found anything that helps ease them at all? Like I said I've totally lost my appetite, some diarrhea, woozy stoned-like feeling during the day when they peak and tiredness (although not the same as the awful POTS fatigue I was having). Also how long did you wait for initial dosage to stabilise before you increased dosage again?

Thanks a mil again, the posts on here really helped in last day or two keeping me positive with this! Delighted with impact of Lexapro and that I might get back to college but I started getting so nervous when I began to feel unwell again! It's nice to know it's the usual and there is light at the end of this particular tunnel! :)

Edited by thankful

• 2 months later...

Hey Dani,

Are you still on Lexapro? and still benefiting :) ? I did take it about 8 years ago and it changed my life in a good way...I have a new prescription now but am battling my med phobia, I wish I didn't have this fear. I was prescribed 10mg and thought about taking 5mg but maybe I should take 2.5.. I could handle the basic side-effects I just worry about something severe happening. Are the risks for severe reactions low?

My doc said to stay off the PC and searching but its so hard, when I know how sensitive I have become to meds after getting sick with POTS.

I know I need to try this med again (hoping to start this week) but I need to build up my courage, no-one in my life seems to understand my fear and they say just take the pill get over it! So any positive feedback needed :)

Hi! Yes I am! It helped my pots symptoms soooo much but I have been batteling severe allergies and fluid in my ears so my pots came back a bit :( hoping once I can get thst mess undercontrol I will feel better.

I too have a huge medication phobia! I am actually in counseling for it. Even if you only take a half of a fourth of a pill, it is better than nothing. Seriously get some klonopin. It will be your life saver to get you through the initial stages. I no longer have any side effects from the lexapro.

At a small dose, I wouldnt worry too much of reactions, but with any med, you should watch for allergic ones. Of course if you cany breath or get weird body rashes, I would stop it, but I did have some pretty weird side effects the first two weeks. The adrenaline rushes were the worst, but the klonopin will keep those away :) I know how bad the phobia can be, but just keep thinking how much better you will eventually feel!

Thanks Dani,

I will at least go for it this week, I know how good I felt when I 1st took it years ago b4 I knew it was POTS and I also stopped after pregnancy then 3 babies later I had the full relapse so just maybe it will be my answer. I thought it was kinda weird my new family doc suggested taking this instead of the Florinef to start but I believe I may not be as severe as some others on here, because when I went to Cleveland Clinic I was told 6 months after taking the Florinef I would be better and would only need maintenance doses...So I am trying to be completely optimistic about the possibly and thats all I can do.

I have also been going to counseling for the phobias it just isn't really going anywhere, may have to change counselor or something. Well see, I will post when I start and keep all updated, I pray it works:) and I'm so happy for you!!!!!Hope you get well soon.