Age Of Diagnosis

Age of Diagnosis  

60 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I see a lot of posts of late from parents with fairly young children. But I also know that for myself, and many others, autonomic dysfunction is something that appeared seemingly out of nowhere much later in life. I am wondering if we are slowly seeing people in the medical profession becoming more aware, and looking for symptoms at an earlier age? Or did we simply fail to see signs when we were younger because of insufficient technology? I had my first syncope episodes when I was 17, but my POTS seemingly receded for much of my 20's, only to come back in a FAR worse incarnation when I was 32. (My 32nd birthday, specifically, so I can always cite the very day my symptoms "started") I was 33 before a diagnosis occurred, and completely desperate by that time. And while my body seems to be determined to limit me, in a strange way my illness has liberated me as well. There has been a lot of nonsense I have freed myself from, and have assembled the most amazing group of people as my support network, I can only thank God for rearranging my priorities, even if it was in such a completely life altering way.

Sandy

I was diagnosed at 37, but I'd had issues from as long as I can remember. At six, it was "growing pains," at 13 it was "puberty" and "stress," at 16 it was "laziness" and possible "blood sugar issues." At 24 it was "exercise induced asthma" (though no testing was ever done,) at 30 it was "you've got two small kids, what do you expect," and "everybody gets dizzy when they stand up." At 36 it was "depression and psychiatric issues," and a month later, at 37 the psychiatrist insisted that I had a "physical issue and all this was NOT normal!" My endocrinologist found autonomic dysfunction within the first twenty minutes of my appointment by doing orthostatic vitals, the pulmonologist did testing and found that I'd never had asthma, and the cardiologist at Vandy wrapped in a bow with POTS, but left a loose end. Unfortunately, that loose end of "something else going on as well," gets tucked into the POTS diagnosis now and I have to research and watch the chronic kidney disease and hormone issues myself until, as my OB/GYN says, "something quits and we know what is going on." :blink:

Hi: I'm a newbie here. It was really interesting for me to see that there are a lot of POTS sufferers diagnosed over the age of 65, since I was diagnosed about 14 months ago. Actually, the POTS goes along with autonomic insufficiency in my case, caused by nerve damage during chest and back surgery. I'd love to know if people diagnosed at 65 or later find that doctors blame many of our symptoms on old age. It's true in my case, that plus they blame the aftereffects of the debilitating surgery. Thanks for asking this question and taking the survey. If nothing else, having these diseases certainly doesn't make life boring, just one more challenge to aging.

I was diagnosed at a few days short of age 62 this February. My symptoms came out of the blue with no surgery, no virus that I know of or anything else. It is possible that my symptoms are connected to an autoimmune disorder since I have many of the signs and symptoms of Sjogren's syndrome but without the blood work to back it up.

So far no doctor has blamed my illness on old age.

Lynne

• 10 months later...

Dx'd at 24, but looking back I see it all the way back to my teens, possibly even earlier. It also explained a lot of why I held certain postures (I've always preferred the fetal position when sitting) and why I find myself fidgeting with my legs so much.

I was 54 when I was diagnosed. I, however, had symptoms for 13 years prior to this, so I was 42 after a virus with major symptoms. I came close to fainting several times when I was younger, though...so I learned to compensate at an early age, and with medical knowledge, as an adult.