Disability Question

Hi everyone,

I have had POTS for a year now and have applied for disability a while ago. Today I recieved a letter in the mail from the Social Security Disability center saying that I need further testing. They set me up with an appointment for a mental health exam on April 28th.

Why would they need me to do this, I mean of course i'll say this is causing me anxiety. I don't want this test to determine my ability to obtain benefits. If any of you out there have ANY suggestions I would be very greatful!

Thank you much,

Jared

The only experience that I have with this is when my mother applied due to fibromyalgia and arthritis. They made her go to their doctor and a psych exam and they still denied it the first time but they approved it on the appeal. I have heard it from more than one person that it appears that they always deny it on the first round just to see if they can eliminate the less persistent and timid people that won't appeal it. I would probably take some really good articles about POTS for the psych doc that can prove that this is serious and real just in case they look at you like you are telling them that your pigmy goat vaccuums for you. Good Luck.

Serena

Guest tearose

This is such a hot topic and few people will want to chime in.

There are various reasons for your mental health testing.

They want to see if you have a mental illness causing your ANS issues, they want to see if you have had all possible treatments including counseling, drugs, meditation... They want to understand you and how you are managing you disability.

This is a long process and many people are turned down over and over again. The "system" unfortunately has had people who abuse it and so to safeguard against this they will also put you through many many hours of testing, questions, observation, paperwork and more.

I hope someone can offer you insights from their experience.

I don't have any brilliant advice but I did want to wish you well. Hope it goes well and is approved soon! I didn't have to have any follow up testing. My lawyer did tell me it seemed to him you have less of a chance of being approved at a younger age on the 1st try. Good luck!!

Brye

Hi,

I applied for SSDI too, I've been sick since for 16years now, but have been out of work and on company disability for the past 2 1/2. I also had cancer/chemo, which seemed to throw the later diagnosed POTs for a loop, and they're still giving me a hard time. I have lawyers that were provided to me for free through my company's disability, so they've been handling the case.. It's been a while now.. well over a year, and we're still waiting to hear back on if I have to go to hearing. I've already had it denied the 1st 2times.. so a hearing is the next step and can take another 1 1/2 to 2yrs... but last i heard, they were seein one last time, if i could avoid a hearing.

Anyway, when i was applying for the 1st time, they made me go for the "mental health" testing. and my lawyers said it is common practice for them to do that. especially since i'm young, etc... i was really concerned they'd somehow find a way to deny it because of that, but they didnt say it was due to that, my lawyer found out it was due to my age, but on the form they wrote it was due to my cancer being treated.. which wasnt even the diagnosis we were using, ugh!!. But Ha, the mental health thing was the biggest waste of time/resources.. such a joke.. the psych just read off a paper, a list of questions in a monotone voice.. like "do you hear voices".. "have you ever want to hurt yourself" .. "have you ever wanted to hurt others"... ha, like completely unrelated.. it wasnt focused on my health issues at all or "anxiety" even.. i was ready to defend myself fiercely, but i kinda didnt have to.. i still did a bit, but the guy was just like.. "sounds like you have a lot of medical issues to deal with, and youre doing the best you can.." i was like, yep, you got it..

anyway, they said you can request a copy to be sent to your physician, and yourself, and i requested it many times, but NEVER got it... so annoying and shady.. even my lawyers havent been able to get a copy yet... anyway, i dont think it made any difference...

anyway, just know, they make a lot of cases do it, and its stupid, but it's just part of the process sometimes.. they're super tough to deal with, and funding for ssdi is down so much this year, its gonna be even harder.. and if youre young, even harder.. i even have these lawyers and notes from my doctors saying here's her diagnosis, symptoms, why she cant work, etc... and they still dont care... thankfully i'm on my company's disability thus far otherwise i'd be homeless.. i need ssdi though, cause if i dont get better, i'm gonna need insurance thru Medicare cause it's too costly to keep "cobra-ing" my employers insurance...(you can apply for medicare after 29months of qualifying for SSDI)

well dont know if that helps you. though your exam might be a joke, like mine..just go in knowing how to explain yourself just in case.. explain a typical day, how youve tried and give anything to get better but cant (which i'm assuming is the case with most of us)...and just stay calm and focused.. i even commented on how i feel my "strength" is my mental health.. how remarkably, i keep a positive hopeful attitude and havent had anxiety or depression.. just wish my physical body was as strong.. but see how your psych is.. you dont want to sound like your overselling yourself either... just be honest, that's all you can do...

and you can also call the Patient Advocate Foundation.. they gave me some tips on dealing with disability if i didnt have a lawyer.. so maybe they'd be helpful as you go along.

best of luck to you.. it really stinks having to deal with them.. i feel ya..

• 1 month later...

Thank you everyone for the advice. I just wanted you all to know that I was approved and I can't believe it. I thought the process was going to be so hard and long. I wasn't even thinking of the possibility of any chance of it happening. The paper came in the mail saying I was approved but did not list exactly WHY I recieved it. Such as which of my symptoms counted towards it. But i guess they must have seen all of the different doctors I have seen in the past year and tests.

The psych evaluation was the only thing they had me go to last about month ago. It was very weird and she asked really strange questions. My cognitive ablities are very slow and she gave me memorization tests. She gave me a weird look when I couldn't remember the capital of Italy. I could not believe I couldn't think of this!

All in all i'm glad now because I have lots of student loans and can now at least continue making payments. I also can just focus on things that will help me get better.

Thank you everyone who contributed!

Jared

Hi dani,

Thanks!

I am 25 and have had it for over a year. That's good you don't have to have a mental exam lol! Hopefully your doc will be understanding, and just let him know all of your symptoms and how they can vary throughout the day. Just tell him what a whole day is like for you. I am honestly not sure at all what types of things he will test for but I hope for the best!

Jared

Thanks!!

I have had POTS since I was 18 so I am hoping that they see its not going anywhere for awhile now. How long after your exam did you get your approval? Was this on your first try too? Sorry so many questions, just going through it now and its so nerve racking waiting forever to hear back! Thanks again :]

Hi Dani

At least you are young and hopefully will eventually get better. I got it approved 1 month after my exam on my first try. So I think they had made some sort of a decision before the exam, but just wanted to check my mental health. I'm not sure though. Did yours start abrubtly, like after an infection of some sort?

Jared

Congratulations, Jared! You were really lucky.

For others out there wondering about the disability process, if you think you might eventually need it, apply as soon as possible. I also went to the mental exam they requested, and was turned down twice (I hear a lot of people are), got a great disability lawyer and was approved immediately by the judge at my court hearing. It was hard to wait for help with expenses - like food - but the backpay was certainly nice. Yes, they have to pay you what you would have gotten per month for as many months as you've waited since you applied (I think it was 'applied', don't quote me here). I received 9 months of backpay, thank God.

All in all i'm glad now because I have lots of student loans and can now at least continue making payments. I also can just focus on things that will help me get better.

Jared

Jared,

You can have federal student loans discharged due to disability. Please look into this!

http://www.disabilitydischarge.com/Pages/General.aspx

This can save you a lot of heartache in the long run!

My disability back pay was from my last day I was able to work. Not sure if states vary on that. I didn't apply until about a year later but they back paid me from the date I last worked. Happy for you!! What a relief!!

Brye

Thanks everyone,

Lizababy,

I was looking into having my student loan discharged, but it says you have to be Totaly and Permanantly disabled with no expectations of getting better. I don't know if that would work out or if I should try. My doctor at Mayo would have to say sign it saying that I have no expectation of getting better. Has this worked for you or anyone else you know with pots? If there is a chance I will give it a try.

Thank you!

Jared

Congrats Jared!

To answer your question about discharging your loan, I have a close friend that is trying to having her student loans discharged. She was recently diagnosed with ALS and only has 5 to 10 years left. From what I have learned from her is that she had one heck of a time trying to get it taken care of. They first told her that she had to file for bankruptcy first, then and only then would they even look into forgiving her loan even when being on disability. So that was a no go for her, but because she is receiving federal disability, she was able to defer her loan payments for up to 3 years.

From personal experience, I know that I can't do a discharge, but I WAS able to defer my loans because I am on food stamps. All I did was fill out a economic hardship form (by fill out I mean check a box...lol) and sent my foot stamp acceptance letter and it was deferred 3 days later. I can do this for 3 years. It obviously won't get rid of the loan, but for me not having an income, it helps tremendously. Oh, and in your case, my loan company said that IF I was on disability, all I would have to do is send in the acceptance letter, so I am assuming your loan company would be similar.

--Ryan

Thanks Rhino,

Yea, I tried calling my federal loan place and the lady said there is no way unless you are never expected to get better period. I won't even waste my energy on it, it will take to much out of me.

Thanks for the info, I might try to have it deffered for 3 years if interest won't accrue and see how that goes.

Jared

Jared,

I have not tried it. I withdrew from classes the semester I should have graduated when symptoms became unbearable. If I can stick it out, I will finish in December (fingers crossed, fingers crossed) as I only have 17 credit hours remaining.

I would look at deferring your loans first. Since your only income is SSDI, you would fall under the economic hardship category. I don't know about you but I would not want to say that you will never get better or even have a doctor commit to that. Especially at your age.

Best,

Elizabeth