Very Good Article On Pots

MamaTrain

Nice article. Thanks for sharing it with us. The author had some interesting statements in there that I hadn't read on any other POTS sites. I'd be curious to know if there are some published studies on some of the info...like the reactive hypoglycemia stuff, etc.

Thanks again for posting this. :)

I know this article had lots of little tidbits that I had only heard a little bit about so that was nice! Especially the left side heart stuff. I swear in the beginning of my POTS I could roll over on to my left side and my heart would race to like 120 and then I'd roll over and it would slow down. I think it's all related! Thank you Krista for posting on Facebook!

In reply to train boy mum, I get that too. Esp in the mornings on waking when I roll over to turn the alarm off and my heart goes wild!

Thanks so much for putting the link up - it has explained a few things that I have been worried about - vertigo nausea, chills, fevers, cold hands, stomach stuff,bp variations and the terribly low BP's that my doc said I should be dead with, amongst others!

I was diagnosed with Pots and sent on my way, so no real explanation, or information given to me.

Excellent article!!

I appreciated seeing this although still a little confused. I never had a documented crash in glucose in any testing I had (and had several glucose tolerance tests durng and after pregnancy), just the same, something after eating carbs especially seemed to cause excessive adrenaline, mimicking hypoglycemia.

Researchers now understand that this lowering of blood sugar levels is not the only cause of symptoms. Recent studies show that when patients with reactive hypoglycemia eat carbohydrates, which cause a sudden increase in blood glucose levels, their bodies abnormally produce excessive amounts of adrenaline and other stress hormones. These stress hormones cause many negative symptoms in addition to the eventual crash in blood glucose levels due to excessive reactive insulin production.

That was one of the bits I was hoping to find some studies on- the part about hypoglycemia etc. I know when I had a 3 hour GTT and dropped to a blood glucose of 36, I had VERY similar symptoms to what I had with the TTTs when my BP bottomed out. And when I eat sweets or a meal with a heavier carb load, I get a lot of palpitations, tachycardia and tremors etc. So what she's saying in the article makes total sense to my body. I'd just like to see some of the research she says supports that.

I'd like to see the documentation of the glucose issue too.

As far as the stress hormones causing an eventual crash, I'd really like to see where a medical article states that. From what I understand, stress hormones kick in to help raise glucose. People with pheochromocytomas(spurts of adrenaline day in and day out) get high blood glucose because of that. Some of them become diabetic until their tumors are removed.

I would like to say that when I get stressed, I feel like I get low blood sugar. But, I haven't documented any, but I eat just for prevention's sake. I do get low blood sugar daily if I don't eat for prevention.

I know I get "excessice insulin reaction", or hyperinsulinemia. I think that is more what the researchers should be looking at. Why do some of us produce excess insulin and then crash? They can't say, for me, that I am pre-diabetic, because I've had this problem for 20 years!