Acclimatizing To Heat

abnel

I got sick with POTS in the second half of 2009 although I didn't know it at the time. It started off very gradually with heart palpitations that would wake me from a deep sleep and a feeling that the floor was giving way under my feet. Over the months it became much worse with palpiations during the middle of the day, chest compression, giddiness (blood presure all over the place), difficulty breathing, etc, etc. My GP thought it was post viral fatigue syndrome but I new it was more serious.

My POTS was the worst in November/December 2009. Then in January/February in the hottest months, once I started walking, I started feeling much better even though I still wasn't tolerating the heat that well.

Looking back, I was able to stand on a beach at my sister's wedding in 34 degree heat (celsius) [that's around 93 degrees farenheit] It was 34 in the shade but 44 degrees in the sun where we were standing! It was awful, but I somehow managed. I was also able to walk to meet friends for lunch in the city in 36/37 degree heat(celsius), something I would not dream of doing now. I can now barely tolerate a 27 degree day!

What I can't understand is that all my other POTS symptoms feel better now than they were back then, except for this heat sensitivity and breathing problems.

Anyone else had this experience?

Has anyone been able to acclimatize themselves to heat by gradually exposing themselves to the elements, or is heat avoidance the only way to get by?

I am just wondering whether the fact I had to expose myself to heat (ie had no choice in going to my sister's wedding on the beach) someone forced me to acclimatize even though it was an extremely uncomfortable (almost dangerous) experience.

I am VERY heat intolerant! I started with POTS 5 years ago, but started with the heat issue maybe 3-4 years ago. I cannot even fathom trying to acclimate to it. The other day I had to sit in my car while my husband went shopping. It was a rare warm day here in the South, I think around 74F. I got hot, and when I've reached that "too hot" threshold, my vision goes blurry somewhat, my muscles feel like lead, and I feel like someone is blowing a balloon up in my head. I have noticed this same scenario everytime. I live where our summer, with an average of 95F, goes from May to October. I literally live in a/c either in my house or car. I can't even go to people's homes because they are usually not cool enough for me.

Anyway, after all that loooong story, what I guess I am saying is that I don't think I would acclimate! Not until the underlying problem of my POTS is addressed.

I can't stand heat. It bothers me so much that I have been known to set my AC at 65 degrees. I love the beach, but I'm never able to stay out in the sun for more then 15min. without feeling like I will pass out. I don't enjoy heat at all. I do drink tons when I'm hot even before I knew I had POTS, and it seems to help a little.

I do have occasiona; problems with over heating, but it usually depends on my level of physical activity. I tend to do ok in heat as long as I can sit down or go inside for a/c periodically. My family usually goes to Disney during the late summer and I don't have any problems. I have always lived in the South and I guess I have built up some heat tolerance. I have noticed since moving to Switzerland that I have problems in the cold. I my pulse tends to drop low(you would think I didnt have POTs at all), but my bp spikes very high. I have been sick almost every 3 months also, from sinus infections, pnuemonia to just colds and chest congestion.

For someone like me who can't tolerate the heat well at all, I suppose Tucson is not the best place to live. I moved from Iowa, where I couldn't tolerate the cold. I have been unable to acclimate to the heat here in the past seven years, I'm a huge fan of avoidance. It seems to me like I have a very small window of temperatures that I'm comfortable in....approximately 60 to 75 degrees. Now, where can I find a place like that to live in? Thank goodness for air conditioning and heaters!

Cheers,

Jana

Jana --

The Central Coast of California has that exact temperature range you speak of. I just moved to AZ from having lived there for 7 years. It is the absolute most boring predictable weather on earth. San Luis Obispo County - absolutely gorgeous - then right by the ocean. 60 to 70 tops I'd say about 90% of the time. Rare rain days in winter - rare colder days in winter 50's, rare hotter days in October 80's -- but the rare days are very rare indeed. It drove me bonkers as I love challenging weather and changing weather. The only way you knew what time of year it was -- was to go to your local pharmacy and hit the candy aisle! If the Hershey Kisses were gold, brown and orange color - it was fall. If the Hershey Kisser were silver, green and red - well it was Winter time -- If they were Pastel - Spring was in the air -- and if they were red, silver and blue - wow it was probably summer! Coming from the Midwest I had a hard time with that monotonous perfect weather! Now I'm in AZ and the winter is a bit cooler than it ever was in SLO County.... I've had to turn on my heat -- and well the summers are legendary - but I'm up for the challenge as they say. I didn't use heat or a/c on the coast. I got tired though of the fog in summer and the dampish air near the ocean - it felt bone chilling likely because of my arthritis....

Hugs

me!

Guest tearose

This temperature management issue is difficult.

For me, I do much worse in the winter. I feel like it takes so much energy to get and stay warm.

I am better in spring and fall and in the summer I am okay till the temp nears 90, then I overheat!

If I could pick a temp that is good for living it would be 72-74 degrees.

I DO believe we can and do "acclimate" and that sudden large changes will effect us. You may feel tired while you are acclimating but it will pass.

It is great you were able to manage the wedding. It may also be that because of the "good stress" you naturally raised your blood pressure up! :)

San Luis Obispo County - absolutely gorgeous - then right by the ocean. 60 to 70 tops I'd say about 90% of the time. Rare rain days in winter - rare colder days in winter 50's, rare hotter days in October 80's -- but the rare days are very rare indeed.

San Luis Obispo was featured as the happiest place in America on Oprah the other day. I bet weather like that plays into it.

It sounds divine. We are getting a foot and a half of snow tomorrow on top of today's 6 inches.

For cold, I swear by merino wool cardigans. You don't get overly warm in them as they breathe. I also wear merino wool skirts which are great for warmth yet have no bulk - super simple to care for.

Heat and humidity is the bane of my existence - actually when it is hot and humid I am less than human.

To answer this question: Has anyone been able to acclimatize themselves to heat by gradually exposing themselves to the elements?

YES.

I live in Houston, Texas. I've had POTS symptoms since May 2008. It starts getting uncomfortably hot here in either April or May, depending on the year. With the first wave of heat and humidity, I feel very poorly. I jog outside most mornings and when the heat starts moving back in, I notice a flare in my symptoms, and my exercise tolerance greatly diminishes. I keep at my routine and eventually my body does seem to acclimate to the heat. I return to my normal POTSy self and recover from the heat shocked POTS flare. I find that it takes at least a month to adjust. I don't completely avoid the heat because it is impossible to in Texas, and I have two children that participate in outdoor sports. I just make sure to keep an eye on my pulse and don't push too hard until I get acclimated. Very good question.

To answer this question: Has anyone been able to acclimatize themselves to heat by gradually exposing themselves to the elements?

YES.

I live in Houston, Texas. I've had POTS symptoms since May 2008. It starts getting uncomfortably hot here in either April or May, depending on the year. With the first wave of heat and humidity, I feel very poorly. I jog outside most mornings and when the heat starts moving back in, I notice a flare in my symptoms, and my exercise tolerance greatly diminishes. I keep at my routine and eventually my body does seem to acclimate to the heat. I return to my normal POTSy self and recover from the heat shocked POTS flare. I find that it takes at least a month to adjust. I don't completely avoid the heat because it is impossible to in Texas, and I have two children that participate in outdoor sports. I just make sure to keep an eye on my pulse and don't push too hard until I get acclimated. Very good question.

Do you have a temperature range or humidity level where you don't venture out even after you have acclimated? The weather changes rapidly here. While I try not to stay in AC all the time as the sudden shock of heat as you go from house to car to doc's office can be worse, I don't really think fully acclimating is possible in August.

Hi Reen,

I have even been to my son's soccer games mid-day in September with no issues. By then, I am well acclimated after much time outdoors. So, I don't really put a limit based on the heat index. I go more with how I am feeling. I am always with family and just retreat back to the car or house if I don't feel well. I do have to be sitting, and there are days when I am just not up to being in the heat. You know, I kind of get used to the oven blast when going from AC to heat wave. That's just me though. Other POTSies may be totally different.