Why Does It Seem Like Doctors Do Not Care?

yuliya

I went to my primary doctor today for my migraines and told her that my cardiologist finally diagnosed me with POTS. I asked her if she knew what it was, she said "yeah, of course". I told her how bad I been feeling horribley fatigued, and not being able to fall asleep. She asked me if I was exercising. I said no I'm not able to, I can barely get myself to do a little house work everyday. She wrote me a script for Lunesta so I could fall asleep and gave me a card that takes of the co payment up to $50. I went to the pharmacy to fill the script and my insurance does not cover it. The medication is $272.00 for 30 days. so even with the co payment card its over $200. The pharmacy called them to change to something my insurance covers all the doctor said was tell her to use the co payment card. I told her in the office my husband was out of work. I'm so frustrated first no one could tell me what was wrong and it was all in my head, and now no one cares about helping me even now that I have a diagnosis. I feel like screaming and crying.

So sorry Yuliya! I would really do your homework on Lunesta. Anything that affects the nervous system affects how you feel! Have you tried other natural sleep products? I hear Melatonin can not work so good with us but there are others. Hope you get some rest and if you need to scream and cry just do it...you will probably feel alot better afterward!

KC :)

Yuliya,

I wish some doctors could walk in our shoes for just a day. I bet most of them would cry like babies.

I also have insomnia and I take doxepin. It is not a sleeping pill but it does help. It costs four bucks copay. There must be something she could prescribe that won't cost an arm and a leg. I quit crying and screaming once I got a little sleep :P I also take OTC 5HTP 200 mg, both of these from my rheumy.

Now at least you have a dx and that's progress. Seems like we have to scrap for everything we get so just keep at it, you'll get there. Many hugs.

Yuliya,

I wish some doctors could walk in our shoes for just a day. I bet most of them would cry like babies.

I also have insomnia and I take doxepin. It is not a sleeping pill but it does help. It costs four bucks copay. There must be something she could prescribe that won't cost an arm and a leg. I quit crying and screaming once I got a little sleep :P I also take OTC 5HTP 200 mg, both of these from my rheumy.

Now at least you have a dx and that's progress. Seems like we have to scrap for everything we get so just keep at it, you'll get there. Many hugs.

I have tried so many things for sleep, from melatonin, to benadryl, to amitriptyline, nothing works. Its just not fair. I guess I am just tired of being sick and tired :(

I can relate to the not sleeping thing. I have CFS and have found that I get insomnia if I get extremely over-tired....seems like a person would sleep more easily the more tired they are but I have found that the opposite is often true, especially with CFS. I have no real help to offer other than try not to get too over-tired (easier said than done!) and if you can't sleep at least rest as much as you can. Odd as it sounds, sometimes I need to 'rest-up' before I can fall asleep!

Yuliya,

I'm so sorry you're having problems. I too, have insurance that won't pay for certain medications. I usually bring my insurance prescription drug catalog with me to all my appointments. I'm addicted to benzodiaziprines and won't take anything like Ambien or Lunesta. It's been impossible for me to get off Valium (I'm only taking 5 mg now at bedtime) as any reduction causes panic attacks and suicidal thoughts. What I am taking is 50 mg of Doxepin (a $5 co-pay) at bedtime along with 3 Valerian Root capsules (which I purchased for $4 at Walmart). I was up every night at 3 am for about 2 hours prior to taking these meds and even I'm surprised how well I've been sleeping now... Sure hope you get some relief soon,

I would call the doctor's nurse tomorrow and explain that you absolutely cannot pay $200 for Lunesta. ASK for a script for the generic of it, or the generic of Ambien, or something! I know my insurance wouldn't pay for brand-name when I was trying them out, but did pay for generic. In fact, over the years, I've had different doctors give me samples that would last a week to try them out. See if they have samples, if not, see if another one of your doctors will work with you on this.

You could ask for samples. When I tried Lunesta, it gave me a nasty taste in my mouth and quickly stopped working. Doctors rarely know how much the meds they prescribe cost, and sometimes they don't even know about interactions.

Unfortunately, the uncaring attitude of medical professionals is not limited to those of us with "difficult" conditions. My Mom just got another suspicious lump on her mammogram. My Dad had to go to a radiologist's office for another reason and asked the tech about a fairly new procedure that may someday replace a biopsy, and the tech said "You read too much!" :o

I think that the specialization of the medical fields has reduced us to parts instead of people. It is easier to treat a diseased organ than a sick person.