Sinus Help

Tommyhoney

Hi Everyone,

I hope you're having a "gentle" day.

I have what seems to be a terrible sinus infection, and can't get into my PCP for a bit....I need to take something to relieve this pain & pressure, but I remember being told not to take regular otc cold meds, by my dys. dr, due to my tachycardia.

Has anyone experienced this, and found something for relief.

Sorry I am not new to this, but I can't think clearly enough right now to remember what I've done in the past...

Thanks for any help.

Tommy

There are two OTC meds that should not effect your HR: Guaifenesin (Mucinex) and Afrin (nose spray.) The Afrin is "topical" so it shouldn't give you a high HR and the mucinex thins the secretions. Add these to the frequent use of a neti pot (with water as hot and salty as you can stand) and you might kick it without antibiotics. I just got over one this way.

Thanks Ya'll so much. I was having a little meltdown, dealing with what we all normally do- I'm as used to that as you can get I suppose- but throw something like this on top, and I'm a mess.

I have a neti pot, and don't use it like I should or I would not be in this situation, I'm sure- Firewatcher- you used it when you had an infection already? I was told not to use it if I was having sinus issues already, but of course a Dr. told me this so I'm always skeptical. ( sorry, I know there are good doctors in existence, I just haven't met many)

Anyway, thanks again for being here, when I was in "critical" mode.

The mucinex is the best thing I have used so far. Everything else seems to dry my sinuses or works for such a short time its not even worth getting the stuff out and heating the water. Mucinex helps with draining the gunk out of my sinuses ans clearing out any congestion that has found it's way into my lungs. Good luck and I hope you get better.

I have a neti pot, and don't use it like I should or I would not be in this situation, I'm sure- Firewatcher- you used it when you had an infection already? I was told not to use it if I was having sinus issues already, but of course a Dr. told me this so I'm always skeptical. ( sorry, I know there are good doctors in existence, I just haven't met many)

Anyway, thanks again for being here, when I was in "critical" mode.

Most definitely! It took a long while with hot water to get through the gunk, but it did. Now, if I am that clogged, I'll squirt Afrin and wait for it to shrink the nasal passages and then neti. The water flowing through will pull the goo out of the sinuses. My husband's ENT told him to do it often, immediately after sinus surgery and recommends neti pots for all chronic sinusitis sufferers. Just be careful not to blow your nose too hard and drain your nose well and you'll be fine. The water does not get up into the sinuses, especially if they are already full of nastiness, but you can push it into your ears if you blow too hard. Good luck, I know how horrible you feel! :(

I don't like the neti pot b/c my neck is fused and it's hard for me to tilt the right way. Instead, I use a NeilMed rinsing system. It's a squeeze bottle and is able to get a good volume of fluid through the sinuses, rinsing out yucky stuff. Works great and my allergist wont prescribe meds unless you're already using it.

Nina

Totally agree with firewatcher and I would add that Neilmed is the best, least expensive rinse. My doctor told me if your water is ok to drink it is ok to rinse with. I use it in the shower with tap water.

My son has not had an ear infection since we bought this. By now you might need something more (antibiotics). Hope you feel better soon. I have lots of drug issues but I do ok on a z pack. Once you have an active infection do not use the rinse or it may end up in your ears.

I don't know if the post neti breathing (to dry out the nose) is a part of the other neti pots instructions, but it was emphasized with mine. This is the video that came along with my neti pot:

I do all but the last breathing exercise bent over and breathe much slower than the fellow in the video. You really don't want to leave any water up your nose...it can come out at the most embarrassing of times! :rolleyes:

I DO neti when I have a sinus infection, it provides me with a great deal of relief from the sinus pain and pressure.

• 4 weeks later...

Netti Pot all the way. It has prevented so many sinus problems for me and has also gotten rid of a few of my sinus infections. You may still have crap up there even after using it a few times. There will probably be a lot of plugs (eww I know) following this your sinuses will feel comfortably clear. That is the best way I can describe the feeling when using the netti pot correctly. You just be able to know if it's working.

I don't know what I would do without mine it gives me so much relief.

Guest tearose

I can't do the netti pot, I get an awful tingling in my head from it.

I also use afrin, mucinex and hot compresses on the outside of my face help too. You can also breath in steam from some boiling water...with caution.