Dehydration~Histamine Related

sue1234

I have been reading up for the last couple of days about MCAD, as I am looking at that possibility again for me. I can't travel up north to any of the experts, so I need to find someone down south who might know something(fat chance, I'm sure!). But, I still want to be armed with information so I can ask the right questions, etc. So, I have gone past MCAD, and reading about histamine. I found this information that was interesting, but it is NOT from a medical journal, just from a naturopathic physician:

"When the body is deprived of water, a water rationing system takes effect. Histamine, a neurotransmitter becomes active and redistributes water throughout the body. The order of circulatory priority is the brain, lungs, liver, kidneys, and glands, then comes the muscles, bones and skin. During periods of dehydration, histamine insures that these vital organs have enough water to function properly. If enough water is not supplied, it must be taken from within the body. Chronic dehydration can cause histamine to become excessively active. This may result in symptoms that may be mistaken for other disorders such as allergies, asthma, dyspepsia, colitis, constipation, rheumatoid arthritis, and chronic pains in various parts of the body such as migraine headaches."

I thought this was interesting, considering the fact that just about most of us feel dehydrated. And, then half of us seem to have MCAD or symptoms of it.

Wow I really need to drink more water.

I do drink a lot, but it's always milk, gatorade, soda, a tiny amount of juice. I don't drink very much plain water at all.

It's strange how often when you do drink other things your tongue still feels dry after.

So far today I've had milk twice I think with Nesquick in it and sipped on a Pepsi. And yeah I'm peeing but my tongue feels like sand paper.

Very interesting, Sue & relevant for me. I've been so shook up by my recent medical news that I haven't been eating or drinking very well. My autonomic symptoms are awful & my mast cells are stirred up good. I had to take an extra zyrtec and my atarx early just to get through the day. I have noticed that the more water I drink, the dramatically better my anaphylaxis-type symptoms are. This seems to apply perfectly to me.

Thanks for sharing-

Julie

Sue,

This is fascinating. I have an unbelievably long list of true food allergies and I have been wondering where in the world they came from. This could be a possible explanation. Fortunately I am able to take sublingual food drops for several of them so I can at least maintain good nutrition. But one slip up, and it's hive-city. Thanks for this interesting post.

Never thought of this - could be part of the reason for my random hives (and my allergist said a lot of women have random hives that can't be attributed to anything and they treat it with Zyrtec + Zantac).

I'm going to try to be better at drinking more water.

I was worried a lot about food allergies but sometimes some things bother me, other times they don't. It doesn't make much sense in that case.

It sounds interesting, but I wonder where the author got his information from? I would feel better if there is some proof to what is being said.

Granted, this naturopath could be right, but at this moment, I'm skeptical. Maybe if there were studies done that corroborate the findings? Maybe there are such studies, but they were not listed on the post?

It sounds interesting, but I wonder where the author got his information from? I would feel better if there is some proof to what is being said.

Granted, this naturopath could be right, but at this moment, I'm skeptical. Maybe if there were studies done that corroborate the findings? Maybe there are such studies, but they were not listed on the post?

There are actually a lot of medical studies that back some of this up. Most of the studies implicate BRAIN histamine and its response to dehydration as a signaling neurotransmitter. In the studies I found on PubMed, taking H1 and H2 blockers eliminates any "over-response" by mast cells and then norepinephrine takes over to release ADH, etc. However, mast cell degranulation is implicated in some studies in heat-stroke/dehydration. Hypovolemia and dehydration are not the same though; hypovolemia means you have too little blood, and dehydration is too little plasma/body water but the blood parts (WBC, RBC, and electrolytes) are concentrated. The histamine release seems to be related to osmoreceptors (blood thickness) in the brain, and they would sense concentration, but not hypovolemia.

Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2000 Dec;279(6):E1305-10.

Dehydration-induced vasopressin secretion in humans: involvement of the histaminergic system.

Kjaer A, Knigge U, J?rgensen H, Warberg J.

Department of Medical Physiology, Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, The Panum Institute, Rigshospitalet, University of Copenhagen, DK-2200 Copenhagen N, Denmark. kjaer@mfi.ku.dk

Abstract

In rats, the hypothalamic neurotransmitter histamine participates in regulation of vasopressin secretion and seems to be of physiological importance, because blockade of the histaminergic system reduces dehydration-induced vasopressin secretion. We investigated whether histamine is also involved in regulation of vasopressin secretion during dehydration in humans. We found that 40 h of dehydration gradually increased plasma osmolality by 10 mosmol/kg and induced a fourfold increase in vasopressin levels. Pretreatment with the H(2)-receptor antagonists cimetidine or ranitidine significantly reduced the dehydration-induced increase in vasopressin levels approximately 40% after 34 and 37 h of dehydration, whereas this was not the case with the H(1)-receptor antagonist mepyramine. Dehydration reduced aldosterone secretion by approximately 50%. This effect of dehydration was reduced by both H(1)- and H(2)-receptor blockade after 16 and/or 34 h of dehydration. We conclude that vasopressin secretion in response to dehydration in humans is under the regulatory influence of histamine and that the effect seems to be mediated via H(2)-receptors. In addition, the regulation of aldosterone secretion during dehydration also seems to involve the histaminergic system via H(1) and H(2) receptors.

PMID: 11093918

• 1 year later...