Question For Everyone

Lovebug

I've been improved with most of my symptoms but have those days in which I have horrible symptoms. However, one of them I'm not sure can be attributed to Dysautonomia. My ears sometimes feel full of pressure and sometimes it feels like my hearing is being lost. I used to think I was about to faint when this happened but apparently it is only in my ears. I'm not the fainting type of POTS (my BP goes up upon rising). And usually the ear symptoms occur when standing or standing for too long. Does anyone think this is definitely Dys or should I go to an ENT & have my ears checked? The last time they were checked, I had increased pressure and the doc just told me to hold my nose and blow out to pop them (much like you do after a flight). I did not like that doctor...LOL! Any input here is greatly appreciated.

Funny you mention the ears... I remember a few years back that being one of my first symptoms. My ears felt full constantly and I couldn't swallow fully (lump in throat felling) and I thought it was just like an earwax buildup which I've had before. Dr. looked at it and said they were clear of wax but that I was likely experiencing allergy symptoms and post nasal drip. From what I've read and experienced personally dysautonomics feel better when my allergy symptoms are under control. I would say I have minor allergy issues compared to most I've read in the forum and over the counter meds work fine. Next time you see a doctor have him/her look into your ears, they can tell if theres post nasal drip or some wax buildup. Hopefully that's all it is because it's somewhat easily treatable once you find the right meds. For me, loratadine works fine to clear it up. I take it daily but it'd dirt cheap (I think I got a 2 month supply at Target for like $6). Another more powerful option the doctor suggested (this is before my POTS diagnosis) is sudafed but it may make you excitable and cause heart racing. I would look up sudafed in the forum as some have had good results with it, and others have not. Claratin D was also suggested but this caused heart racing and increased anxiety/adrenaline feelings so I stopped. Benadryl may be an option also and it can help with sleep.

Best of luck, hopefully it's simply a treatable allergic issue.

I have this issue as well.... I think i was describing it a tad differently. But the past few weeks it seems to have gotten more noticeable. I was just asking myself the other day if it one of the many many symptoms. However, since it hasnt really been that bothersome, i usually shrug it off until it starts to be bothersome, then i'll start pondering on it and asking questions. Hopefully this one will be one of my lesser, infrequent symptoms.....

hilbiligrl

I have ear problems as well. I have the sensation of fullness/pressure in my ears constantly. And the worse the "cloggy" feeling is, usually the more dizzy/spacey I feel. I posted about ears a long time ago and got a ton of "me too" responses. It seems to come up a lot here. So many of us have ear, as well as vestibular symptoms. I have mentioned before that there is a relationship between the vestibular and autonomic systems (heart rate/BP etc.)and have often wondered if a damaged vestibular system is sending the wrong signals to our autonomic nervous systems (or vice versa?). I made an appointment today to see a neuro-otologist -- a road I have been down before -- but he is supposedly very good (we'll see). If I were you I would check with another ENT -- can't hurt.

I have had intermittent ear pain in one ear for the past 4 years. I've had several docs check my ear at various times and they all say it "looks fine" but I continue to have sharp shooting pain that stops me in my tracks at times because it's so intense. I also have a feeling/sound like I have water in that ear (like what you have after swimming) but can't clear it like when there really IS water in the ear. Unfortunately when I take allergy meds it frequently makes the pain worse. Go figure.

Occasionally I get the full-ear feeling, but mine also feels like I have a fluttering in my ear - like a bird is flapping its wings in my ear. I haven't heard anyone else ever mention anything like that.

Count me in with you....I've had that too, or similar to it. At times I can hear my pulse.

I have ear problems as well. I have the sensation of fullness/pressure in my ears constantly. And the worse the "cloggy" feeling is, usually the more dizzy/spacey I feel. I posted about ears a long time ago and got a ton of "me too" responses. It seems to come up a lot here. So many of us have ear, as well as vestibular symptoms. I have mentioned before that there is a relationship between the vestibular and autonomic systems (heart rate/BP etc.)and have often wondered if a damaged vestibular system is sending the wrong signals to our autonomic nervous systems (or vice versa?). I made an appointment today to see a neuro-otologist -- a road I have been down before -- but he is supposedly very good (we'll see). If I were you I would check with another ENT -- can't hurt.

K...thanks! And please let us know what you find out about your ears. My problems started a few years back (before my diagnosis of Dysautonmia) after a flight to Disney World. I developed a cold so the flight back left me with fluid behind my ears. I swear I still feel like it's there even after I was treated with meds back then. When I wash my hair or scratch my head, my ears feel as if there is fluid in them (strange).

THANKS to everyone for their responses! :D

I feel it in my right ear.

I was also told to hold my nose and I have found that blowing the nose will get things flowing in the sinuses don't notice it in the ear so well.

My doctor said it was a clogged eustachian tube.

Mine does finally drain but when it does I feel it moving like a bug is crawling through my ear.

I usually feel relief after.