neck stuff revisited

Merrill

Hi Merrill,

I haven't been dx with the problems you describe but have had chronic pain in my neck and shoulders since the onset of POTS. I have tried a variety of pillows. When I was on a beta blocker and my supine bp would drop too much I used a pillow wedge, raising my head. You probably do NOT want to use this type! I would always slide down in the night and make my neck hurt worse. Once I stopped the bb, I switched to one of those pillows made for neck support....what they are called, I can't think of right now!!. Anyway, you probably have seen them. The outer edges are raised and the center lower. I find it helps with the neck pain.

Hope you can find something to bring relief.

Guest tearose

Hi Merrill, I've had to try several types of pillows. The one that works best is a theraputic foam and the contours fit my head and neck. My physical therapist had several for me to try there but you can also try at a surgical pharmacy. Feel better, tearose

There is another kind of support pillow - don't know the name, sorry. It has squared edges instead of the gradual edges of a regular pillow or that sculpted bump like the typical support pillow. This one also has a "lip" in the center that sticks out in front. If you sleep on your side, you use the right or left squared edge, and if you sleep on your back you use the lip under your neck.

It's kinda strange-looking and takes a few nights to get used to it (it barely fits in a regular pillowcase but works better with a king-size pillowcase). It is the only one authorized by some chiropractic association as being truly worthwhile - sorry, I don't remember those details now.

You need to check for the correct size by measuring from your neck to the outside of your shoulder, and then double check by lying on it on your side to be sure the height is right for you.

I've had mine for about 4 years now and it does seem to help a bit.

Guest Mary from OH

I have the same kind of pillow as Nina. It forms to your head and it too is recommended by the American Chirlpractic Association. It is contoured and I LOVE mine!! ALso, I put a regular pillow underneath it too.

uh-oh...i have the opportunity to gush about another favorite find of mine. corina...no, i do not get paid by this company either!

i also have a tempur-pedic pillow. one on my bed and one for my recliner (just a little one)

they have many different styles...i have the one that looks like a regular pillow on my bed, but they have the swedish ones, the millenium pillow, etc. etc. you can go to a store that sells tempur-pedic and try out the different styles to see what you like.

now, here goes...i also have a tempur-pedic bed! i hate admitting this but i have a fancy schmanzy one that is also adjustable. my dad helped me out with the purchase and it is the biggest purchase i have ever made pretty much...(don't have a car, own a home, etc).

i would not trade my bed for anything...i LOVE it so much and it has been a HUGE HELP for me. i got it two years ago. i tried all the beds out there. for these, you do have to lie on them for thirty minutes or so in the store to get a feel for them. they are so different.

i can adjust the head and feet and get it just right for my neck/back and for my POTS symptoms. also, i was having so much neck pain as well as trigger points. when i got this bed, there was a huge change.

it seems that without realizing it, i made all of these changes in my 'set-up' at home and in a way sort of was able to eliminate a lot of the pain i was having without realizing how i had done it. i still get the trigger points on my shoulders, but mostly i don't get them. i used to wake up all night and be so uncomfortable and have the trigger points on my hips and stuff. also, this way, i can at least prop the bed up a little if i am super-sick so that i am not lying flat all of the time. i can get that u-shape that feels so good when i am having a POTS spell.

anyway, the bed and pillow work so well together. i have used just the pillow on other beds and i have a lot of trouble still with my neck, trigger points, getting comfortable, etc.

i know, i sound like a spoiled brat b/c i have my bed and my cosy soles and la de da...sorry...that is not my intention. just sharing my finds in hopes that they will help someone else!

hey, even my therapist took my advice and she and her husband bought a tempur-pedic bed and they love it.

i really thought that it was maybe not as good as it sounded since they are always on infomercials...but really, i think it is an amazing and reputable product.

i am someone who questions everything...every purchase, etc. and i am so grateful to have invested in this bed! it is amazing. i was at my dad's for two days, and all i could think is...i want my bed! :lol: and my recliner! :)

anyway, just having something touching the back of my neck sends my POTS going sometimes, and the tempur-pedic, while not perfect is my best find so far.

hope this helps! you can try the pillow first, like others have...they are really great.

i promise, this is not MLM or something...i wouldn't do that! just letting you know, since you asked!

emily

Em, What's MLM?

I think I tried a tempurpedic pillow years ago ... I slept on it for several nights and then returned it. I hated it! I didn't sleep well with it and it made me feel very very strange. Maybe I didn't give it enough time? I'm glad to hear, though, that (some of) you have found happiness with your different pillows. (My husband isn't happy unless he's hugging one down pillow and resting his head on another!)

Right now, I like my pillows flat and hard, like you, Gayle. I've been using one that's stuffed with cotton and is stitched in such a way to make a firm roll on one side, tapering softly on the other. But it's time to replace it, I think, because the roll part has become flatter and much much less pronounced. But I think I'll wait to get something else until I talk to my future physical therapist.

I was curious about whether PTs recommended flat, soft, down, foam, tempurpedic ... there are sooo many choices out there!

Thanks for your replies,

m

Merrill, the contoured pillow was suggested to me by several sources: neurosurgeon, physical therapist and neurologist.

Also, I don't have a Tempur Pedic bed, but I do have a 3 inch thick visco-elastic topper on my mattress that I bought directly from a factory that makes them. I can no longer find their website, but here are a few places I had also looked into as we're getting ready to replace our bed using a Froogle search (Google's shopping engine).

http://www.google.com/froogle?q=visco+matt...=Search+Froogle

We both LOVE our visco elastic foam topper---and when it's time, will probably go for the entire foam bed.

and, MLM stands for Multi Level Marketing... Nina

Edited by MightyMouse

nina,

yes, the toppers can be good too.

my dad thinks that the firmer the bed, the better. to me, it means it feels like sleeping on a board. :lol: so, he buys a bed for their extra bedroom in their house and says he is so excited b/c now i can come stay. well, let's just say, i didn't sleep one wink on that thing.

so, i picked out a foam mattress topper and in an effort to save money, got a cheap one...and well, the bed is still hard! so, i didn't choose well on that brand. it does help, but it can't make a bad bed all better.

they now make beds that are sort of a combination of a traditional bed and the foam.

there IS a difference i think b/w the different brands and the quality of the visco-elastic foam...

the tempur-pedic toppers are so expensive...it's hardly worth putting one on an already 'bad' mattress...so, i sprung for the whole bed!

i hope you two like your new bed when you do decide!

merrill...my mom doesn't like my tempur-pedic bed much at all...so maybe you won't like it either? it is definitely personal preference!

can you tell i research EVERYTHING a little too much before making a purchase???? it is called being a MAXIMIZER. and when you are chronically ill it is one big waste of energy! still working on that in therapy....grrrrrr....

goodnight!

emily

• 1 month later...

Hi -- I wanted to add a post to this thread... I shared info about the pillow I had been using (see 12/18 description) with my PT, and he thought it looked good, so I ordered a new one (which finally arrived yesterday!) I guess my old pillow was (incredibly) about 9 years old ... and while it didn't show the wear, the cervical roll part was definitely much flatter than the new one!

Anyway, I wanted to share info about it for all you folks with cervical spine issues--especially for those who don't really like the tempurpedic approach, which I really don't. It's stuffed with wool, not cotton ... and the cervical roll part is firm and supportive in all the right ways. (I have to add that it takes some getting used to...) The height seems right...and seems to take the weight and pressure off your shoulder and neck. You don't cave in on yourself when you're on your side.

(Gayle--you might love this pillow, given your post!)

Here's an URL from one company that sells it--but there are others. The picture here, by the way, is a bit odd. It doesn't quite look this way!

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/comfort1st/nawoclcopide.html

Also check out the company that makes it (they do bedding and all sorts of things--different theory than tempurpedic).

http://www.naturaworld.com

Sleep tight, everyone.

Merrill

Guest Mary from OH

Merrill-

Just wondering, were you saying that YOUR pillow's cervical area is stuffed with wool or the temperpedic one?? I'm HIGHLY allergic to wool, that's why I'm wondering!!

Thanks!!

:o

Mary, my pillow (the Natura one) is wool on the inside, but the covering, which is really thick and nice, is cotton. Tempurpedic is all human-made.

I tested allergic to wool as a kid, and I think it was part of my allergy shots (15 yrs, once a week). I still have some sensitivity, but it's extremely mild and very very livable. If you're curious about this pillow, though, I'd call the customer service folks at Natura ... I found them to be EXTREMELY nice/helpful, and they could answer your questions. Number's on that web site ...

Merrill,

Thanks so much for the pillow info. I'm going to see if I can buy something similar in a local store, if not I'll proabably order it online.

I'm waking up with my neck in some weird positions lately.

Thanks again.

GayleP

Guest tearose

Many pillow choices on that website! I think I'll stay clear of wool cause sometimes it makes me itchy too.

Are the style difference made to satisfy personal taste or our physical aches? I have c-5, c6 pains when my neck is too far forward or not supported when back. Should I stick to one style?

so many choices I'm lost, tearose

Guest Mary from OH

Thanks Merrill!!! Big sigh of relief!! Anything sheep related throws me for a loop!! Lanolin, etc...

Interingly enough, I bought a Temperpedic pillow for my mother as a Christmas gift one year and she broke out in a HORRIBLE rash!! So, I was just double-checking!!

Sometimes my brain does not follow things well. Also, I tend to worry a lot. :o

Hmmm... Not sure what site you're looking at, T. It's true that Natura makes a number of different kinds of pillows ... but the comfortfirst URL shows the wool contour pillow. That's the one I have... The contour pillow is the one with the cervical roll for support.

Here's a blurb about it relating to allergies: "The Contour Pillow is non-allergenic, made from one piece, or batt, of wool. And due to wool's dry environment, there is no build-up of mould or mildew. Studies have shown that the levels of dust mites in wool are so low that they are undetectable by allergy sufferers. Unlike traditional materials, the Contour Pillow doesn't lose its shape, and provides a comforting sleep for years to come."

It's true that it lasts for years ... and to be clear, you don't come into contact with the inside of the pillow! You can't tell what's inside (unlike down, which I'm very allergic to--and the feathers sometimes come out of the lining and you can feel them between your fingers etc.) The outside covering of this one is really thick ... and if you like a firmer flatter pillow, this is great. If you spend any part of the night/morning on your stomach, you just flip the pillow over--and that too is really comfy. It's a bit of a pain to flip the pillow when you're half asleep, but that's how it goes.

Last night was my 2nd night on this new one ... and it really does support my neck in a way that can't really be duplicated. (I've got that same bulging disc at c5-c6, not to mention arthritis etc.) I actually do feel different in the morning!

Guest tearose

Sorry M, I looked last night before bed so maybe I was looking at something else. :huh:

I'll revisit this later... I guess I have to figure out if I want to "risk"trying the wool product or not.

My real important question you answered though! That is you do feel the support of cervical roll.

Thanks for clarifying, tearose

PS I couldn't have looked last night cause you just posted this am! Wow, I better go make some coffee or take a nap! I'm in rare form today! That's all because I started walking on the treadmill and I'm all out of oxygen! :o

Mary, no, the TempurPedic brand contains no latex. Some knockoff's do contain latex.

http://www.tempurpedic.com/tempurcmsvb/faq/

"Tempur-Pedic products are 100% CFC-free, contain no latex or rubber, and are resistant to allergens."

Nina :o