Have Others Had Their Lead Levels Checked?

tinkerbella

Today I was telling my doctor that my young dog has come down with epilepsy. She thought it was strange that we both have a neuro disorder and wondered what we might be exposed to. Our water is high in lead. and we both drink it a lot. The smaller the size, the more absorbed if I understood correctly. Meaning my small dog and being so young. So tomorrow, before hydration I'll be checked. Wouldn't that be bizarre from that conversation that my pots was from lead poisoning?

bellamia~

Bella,

That was one of the first things that my GP checked for. I have multiple heavy metals exposure from my work, but I am extremely careful. My serum and hair levels all came back within normal limits. He still thinks that I must have some odd, so far untested exposure to something. I'm not so sure since I've had symptoms for most of my life. He says that the only other patient he's seen with symptoms like mine had a heavy metal toxicity from well water.

If you are truly concerned, do a hair test. It checks as far back as you've had the hair.

Bella,

That was one of the first things that my GP checked for. I have multiple heavy metals exposure from my work, but I am extremely careful. My serum and hair levels all came back within normal limits. He still thinks that I must have some odd, so far untested exposure to something. I'm not so sure since I've had symptoms for most of my life. He says that the only other patient he's seen with symptoms like mine had a heavy metal toxicity from well water.

If you are truly concerned, do a hair test. It checks as far back as you've had the hair.

Interesting, I've had really long hair due to being house bound....and the last two months I've leaned how to cut mine and my dog's in bed. Each week it's been getting shorter and shorter. I think I'll leave it alone now. But, tomorrow, it a blood test on ice. It may have already been done by my neuro, but she hasn't been sending notes to my PC.

Thanks for the info.

bellamia~*

Yeah I have/had high lead levels in my hair. I found out it was from my bathtub of all things. The finish on it came off and I bathed it in for years! Sadly I had POTS well before all of that, but I'm sure it didn't help me. :(

I'm so sorry to hear that.I know I had POTS forever, but we'll see what they find.

Blessings and Love to all~

bellamia ~

Hi Bella-

Don't be surprised if your doctor will only order blood lead testing - many insurance companies will not pay for hair testing. Blood lead tests show current exposure to the heavy metal. Lead is older plumbing and the solder used to install it. You can have different results from different sinks in your home. If you are on municipal water they should be testing for it but sometimes the material they use to prevent corrosion in delivery lines can actually increase the lead level in water - this is what happened in Washington DC a few years back.

A water filter installed on your primary faucet would do a lot to reduce your lead exposure. Brita, Pur, and Culligan all sell easily installed faucet adaptors which filter out the lead.

There are many, many, many sources of lead in our modern environment. The researchers in the field often preface their remarks with "we live in a leaded world." Lead is a heavy metal found on the table of elements so it does not just 'go away'. It is found in paint and the materials painted or finished- that is it is still in the wood even after stripping or remediation - it has just been reduced to more acceptable levels. The most common source of lead is house dust and dust caused by home remodeling projects. Were any older surfaces disturbed when your wheelchair ramp was recently installed? Surfaces exposed to friction wear such as door jambs and windows are often the culprit. If the renovation work was not properly sectioned off through plastic sheets and the remaining minute debris cleaned with a hepa vacuum, lead could be tracked throughout the home and reside on the floors where our pets spend the majority of their time. It only takes a speck of pure lead to cause symptoms.

Additionally since lead was used as an additive in gasoline in the United States until the 1970s, it is still found in abundance along older established highways. That is one of the reasons to wipe your feet prior to entering the house or to remove your shoes. Those of us alive prior to the gasoline lead ban have lead in our bones as the body treats ingested lead like calcium. This is a major reason that both women and men of a certain age should take calcium supplements so that the lead is not taken from your bone as your body needs calcium and then you have a secondary onslaught of the perils of lead. In NYS, high lead levels have been found in retired hair dressers as lead was used in hair coloring agents during their career.

Lead is still used in gasoline on farms and in aviation fuel. Lead causes high blood pressure and stress increases the uptake of lead. Most psychiatric facilities order lead tests after a Boston psychiatrist found an extraordinarily high percentage of patients exposed to lead - Many of his patients lived near bridges and lead is still used in marine paint applications.

The sources of lead poisoning I've heard about and seen documented is in the hundreds - bathtubs, lollipops, candles, bullets, syrup manufacturing, venetian blinds, cosmetics, in addition to the home paint and plumbing and occupational exposures. In addition to its use as a paint additive and solder, lead is used as a plastic stabilizer which is why some water hoses are marked as Do Not Drink.

I am sure that is more than you wanted to know about lead. I have been tested for heavy metals 3 or 4 times over the past few years as the doctors don't know what is causing symptoms.

Any questions, Bella, feel free to ask. As you remember, I use to work on health education for the state lead poisoning prevention program. Here's a link to a pamphlet prepared for health care providers - Lead Exposure in Adults - A Guide for Health Care Providers

noreen

WOW Sue, you took the words right out of my mouth....Noreen, I'm impressed, but I always am with everything you do. Thanks! I was told the test would be done in an hour, but by the end of the day the nurse said the results were pending. I'm sure I'll hear tomorrow.

Thanks you everyone now it's cuddle time with my dogie. `:.3 xxxx's bellamia~

Today,

I wondering what my results were... I was told yesterday that it would take an hour and went to have my infusion which lasts about 5 hours. When I was done the results said pending. Hummmm, today I forgot all about it and was busy with the wheel chair company who came for the second time to put the power legs on my chair. Each time something goes wrong. Now, they need a new joystick for the power legs and the reason I flew off my chair going down the ramp is the measured me wrong and the bottom foot plate was hitting the ramp and pitching me off. When will all of this end? Then I get a call from the hospital infusion clinic saying my lead results are in. Nothing is flagged, but I should call my doctor. I felt some urgency in the woman's voice who I know who called me, as I have grow very close to all of these people after 2 years of infusions. I called my doctor and I'm told she hasn't got the results back yet. So, I don't know what to think. I wondering what is up. I know no news is good news, but this confuses me...

Noreen, do you think that lead poisoning in Adults can cause Pots?

Bellamia ~

Today,

So, I don't know what to think. I wondering what is up. I know no news is good news, but this confuses me...

Noreen, do you think that lead poisoning in Adults can cause Pots?

Bellamia ~

One of the hardest things is what level of lead is actually safe. No national level of concern exists for adults but generally labs use 25 ug/dL as a level of concern (versus 10 ug/dL as poisoning for children - that level was 20 ug/dL 10 yrs ago) No level is considered safe but we all are exposed and have some present in our bodies. As mentioned the human body uses lead as if it were calcium and stores it in bone for future use. Calcium is needed for many many bodily functions in addition to building bones and teeth. Your doctor may have ordered a zinc protoporphyrin (ZPP) test which, in adults, serves as an indicator of average lead exposure. Essentially there is no black and white answer as to what to do at each level.

Lead poisoning has not been associated with PoTS. While there have been correlations made with lead poisoning/exposure and fibromyalgia / CFS, nothing has been proved. Since calcium is used by the body for blood clotting, nerve impulse transmission, muscle contraction, enzyme regulation, and membrane permeability, any lead in the body will be used via the same pathways with obviously different results. The only thing we can do is ensure adequate calcium, vitamin D, and Vitamin C intake along with possibly increased zinc.

Our water is high in lead. and we both drink it a lot.

bellamia~

Bella-

Is it possible for someone to put a filter on your primary tap? Brita, Pur, and Culligan all make faucet filters which screw on a regular kitchen faucet. Here is the Amazon link to kitchen faucet filters. The Culligan has the best rating for longevity and ease of use. None of the filters will eliminate all lead but will reduce exposure. Pur and Brita also make pitchers with filters built in.

Whether or not your lead level is in the 'level of concern' or not, it is a really really good idea to reduce your exposure to it.

hope your puppy is doing well,

noreen

Guest tearose

I did have my blood levels checked and it was normal.

However, that did not stop me from having all the fillings in my teeth taken out and replaced. I am glad I did because under the old mercury based fillings there were four teeth that had "hidden" cavity and decay under the normal looking old filling!

I do have a water filter on my faucet, but the doctor said that lead wasn't filtered out. Also, I have to tell the truth...It takes so long for the water to come out, that I have been lazy and just turn on the water and fill up an cup and pan and use it. Now I know better, plus I need new filters. So, a few lessons have been learned here along with passing them along to family and friends.. So I will know Monday, what the results were when I go to the hospital to be infused. I recently stopped taking my calcium due to the reports of lead being in those. If it's not one thing it's another.

Thanks again,

BellaMia~

Got my lead blood test back today it was relativ 1.8 H specime: venous , Lead < 2 , LEAD ME GFAAS

Made the nurse think it was a bit odd.

Don't know what to make of it.

BellaMia ~

I have no idea, as I haven't heard from my doc. I got the print out from the hospital as they were concerned about the high. I don't understand it, and I had a bad day in the clinic. My BP and HR were out of CONTROL and I wasn't going to the ER again. They did the labs and I went home. If I lay down I'm fine here...but if I stand I'm really taching away today. Plus I was so dry It took 3 tries to get a vein, I really needed the other bag of fluids. grrrr.

; ( bellamia~

Dear BellaMia~

I hate that you're continuing to have so many problems. How tough is it to get a wheelchair ramp installed correctly and your chair outfitted properly? Geez....like you need another thing to worry about. That's been going on too long.

Did you find out about your lead levels yesterday? I hope all is well with that, and that you start feeling better soon.

Take good care of yourself.

xxxxx,

Jana

It came back high, I'll see my neuro and find out what she thinks about it this afternoon. Sorry I haven't been in touch. I hope all is well with you my sweet friend.

hugs and lots of love,

bellamia~

Got my lead blood test back today it was relativ 1.8 H specime: venous , Lead < 2 , LEAD ME GFAAS

Made the nurse think it was a bit odd.

Don't know what to make of it.

BellaMia ~

I don't see an elevated result here although I am not sure what they mean by H - usually results are given as ug/dL (micrograms per deciliter). They list the type of sample so the physician can determine whether there is a possibility of collection contamination - if it is a capillary sample (blood drawn from finger - known as a fingerstick) the results can be higher due to contamination by the environment, i.e. the lead could have been on the finger and not in the blood but was transferred to the sample by the act of getting the blood. Lead at less than 2 ug/dL is not a cause for concern. Is there a reference on the slip telling you what the H is or what the normal ranges are? If there is no indication that they mean mmol/L or anything, the results may mean the highest found was 1.8 ug/dL.

The other part of the result LEAD ME GFAAS means that the lab did the testing for lead using the GFAAS method. GFAAS stands for graphite furnace atomic absorption spectrometry. Heavy metal testing can be rather specialized and the nurse may not have been familiar with how the results are listed.

Thanks Noreen,

That was the only thing that made the nurses concerned and they worry about me. I'm going to the neuro and will have her opinion. I figure bells and whistles would have been going off if something was really wrong.

Thanks again for your wealth of knowledge.

Bellamia~