smoker wanting to quit...

Mary

Life is full of stress for all of us. Healthy alternatives are available I know. My life has greatly improved over the last 3 years due to a much needed divorce, although I do believe the trauma of all that was involved, caused my POTS. My life now seems to be settling out and I am resolved to living with POTS and making the needed accomodations. Thanks in advance for any and all support you can offer. Mary :)

Mary, congratulations! I think you're brave for telling us about this struggle ... and for asking for suggestions and advice. Honestly ... you're on your way to achieving this important goal, and you're going to get a lot of support here, I think. I for one am proud of you ... I know what you're going through is not easy. Pots is hard enough!

Try to stay positive as you move forward--don't look back to those woulda shoulda days ... We all do what we need to do in order to get by, and cigarettes helped you do that at an earlier stage in your life. That's OK; now it's time for something different!

I'll ask around and see if I can find someone with secrets to quitting or to cutting back. Good luck, Mary. This is Good!

Hey Mary..just wanted to let you know I'm in the same boat! Yes, I smoke..No, I'm not proud of it and wish to quit..just don't know how!! I can't take Wellbutrin..had a bad reaction. I worry about the patches and gums..will it effect my POTS? I also worry about my body's reaction to quitting. I know it's not a healthy habit but my body is used to it and I'm afraid quitting will send it in a tail spin..especially since it's so sensative now with the POTS. Think I'll ask my doc. I'd also appriciate any tips or info. other members can provide. My goal has always been to quit by the age of 30..I'm 28 1/2 now..not much time left!! Hang in there and good luck!! :)

Michele

Mary~

I completely understand what you are going through. My college professors and colleagues at work are constantly nagging me about smoking. It is an addiction and it is unfair for people to think that they can do this. An addiction is a disease just like cancer or diabetes and I don't think that people would comment on someone having cancer. I realize that our smoking effects others, but it is very hard to quit. The majority of smokers have to try an average of 4 times (I think that is the stat) before they quit for good so don't beat yourself up for not being successful so far. I am quitting once my finals are done. I plan to get this homeopathic kit from avon because the gum tastes very bad (I've heard) and I am allergic to tape so I can't use the patch. It also helps if you can find a healthy habit to replace the smoking, like if you always smoke in the car you could bring carrot sticks along with you or if you need to be doing something with your hands you could take up knitting. It is harder to quit smoking than it is heroine so, I know this is cliche, but just don't quit quitting. Maybe we could be each others support system and keep each other off the nicotine!! Good luck and let me know what works for you because I know it is going to be hard. Also, I have heard very good things about Zyban/Wellbutrin.

Jaime

Merrill,

Thanks for your booster shot reply :) Any secrets to help me with quitting would be appreciated. POTS is hard enough and keeps me home except for when I have to work. Even then at times I have a hard time and need to go slow and always tank up. I know I will feel much better all the way around... especially my psyche.

Michele,

Thanks for your reply and well wishing. Nice to know I'm not alone here with this addictive habit. My doctor offered wellbutrin but I don't think it would work. I have tried the patch but smoked with it. My doc suggested local programs on smoking cessation. I have looked into the gum idea and will probably try that. Expense involved is not an issue since the habit has cost me plenty already. I believe our bodies response to quitting, due to us having POTS, will be a good one :) I don't think we'll be sent into a tail spin. I've heard that we will have a smokers cough bronchitis for awhile but that I could deal with. I have been sick since the day before Thanksgiving with sinus, upper respiratory yuck and bronchitis I think. I'm sure not getting over it sooner has to do with being a smoker. I figure improving our health by being kind to our body and not abusing it can only improve our symptoms all the way around. Let me know if you make any plan to quit.

Jaime,

Thank you for your understanding on this and also you noting the fact that smoking is an addiction and a disease :( I do believe you are correct with your comment on heroin. I have had my eyes opened, been educated about alcohol and drug addiction and have been involved with it in my personal and professional life for years. People untouched by any of these sometimes lack the education to help them to be understanding and supportive. Wanting to quit is just a beginning. Using the correct device and getting all the support we can is so important :) Please educate me about the homeopathic kit you mentioned. Any suggestions and tips are appreciated. Carrot sticks and knitting give me ideas about other diversions and are a good suggestions. What do you know about Zyban? I'd love to be each others support :):):) especially since we have POTS in common. I surely don't have the time or energy to join another site for support.

Thanks to you all again B) Knowing people care and are supportive means so much, Mary

Guest tearose

Hi Mary,

I have a cousin and a cousin in-law who tried everything and nothing lasted. Both went to a hypnotist in Boston at different times in their lives...it was the only thing that worked! They both have never gone back to smoking.

Be gentle with yourself, habits are hard to let go of but I think you will find other wonderful things that will come to fill the space. tearose

I smoked all through my teen years and then finally quit. It is HARD to do! I can totally relate. I wish I could share some great secrets for quitting with you, but I don't know of any. There are programs/methods out there that are supposed to help. Maybe give them a try?

Best of luck,

Michelle

Guest Julia59

Mary,

I just wanted you to know I support you in your efforts in quitting smoking. I smoked for 15 years and I quit in 1990. I was lucky as smoking actually aggrivated my hyper adrengic tachycardia spells. So it was a bit easier to quit.

Also I think it was easier because I had cut down to about 5 cigerettes a day because my husband hated it. Maybe if you taper off slowly---it might be easier.

Oh my God, I used to smoke menthol and non-menthol----Kool ultra lights long, and Marlboro lights, I kept both packs on me and rotated between the two! What was I thinking.........

It was the worst for me after eating, and talking on the phone. And I noticed I liked to smoke when I drove. I am right handed, and to this day I still drive left handed, as I always held my cigerette in my right hand.

I think you can do this---I really do. I know nicotine is one of the worst addictive drugs out there. My brother Joe has tried to quit and struggles every time. His lifestyle doesn't help. He plays in a band, and plays in smokey bars-----which makes things very difficult for a person who smokes.

Sometimes finding what provokes you to smoke, and avoiding certain situations that may seduce you into smoking may help. I found that I rarely smoked at home unless on the phone. My smoking was associated with social events 95% of the time. If I drank a few beers, I could smoke a whole pack in one sitting. I later enjoyed social events and a few drinks just fine after I quit. I can no longer handle even a half a beer now---due to the many issues that come with POTS. I quit smoking long before my POTS symptoms got into high gear----10 years before.

Family support helps also. You need the support of family and friends to get you through this. I don't believe in shaming a person who smokes---they feel bad enough. And if they don't feel bad about smoking it's their right as long as they respect the rights of others who don't smoke.

On a funny note------------> my Aunt Marilyn who passed away in 2002 used to keep a pack of cigerettes in what she called "the cigarette table"---a very cute tiny end table with a small drawer. She never smoked, but she kept a pack of the most favored cigarettes in that drawer. WEll---NOT BEING A SMOKER HERSELF----she didn't realize cigarettes get stale. One time I took a cigarette out of that drawer and lit it, took a drag----and half the cigarette was gone-------and burned the you know what out of my throat :o . After that she kept cigarettes in her refrigerator----LOL

Good luck---I know you can do it.

Julie :0)

Hi Mary,

I quit (sort of) as I will explain. Last January. There is a good web site you have to go to. It's the only thing that really helped me. It is called quitnet.com and is a support group. You do not have to pay to belong, though for additional services you can pay. I am 45 and smoked since I was 18. I was dx with emphysema, chronic bronchitis and asthma. I got to the point where I was coughing non stop for an hour in the morning while trying to smoke! I couldn't go anywhere without haveing coughing fits, my 13 year old daughter was scared and embarressed and used to cry for me to quit. I was coughing so hard I cracked ribs and damaged cartilidge in my chest, one day it hurt so bad I couldn't get up. It was horrid. Well I did go to a hypnosis class, which personally don't think helped all that much. I had already circled the date. Well I did have the nicotrol inhaler which I used breifly but that made me cough too. After 2 days I cracked and had 1 cigerette then was very mad at myself. I think I cried the whole first week and stayed on the computer on the quit net support group alot. It is like this forum a place to vent and support, etc. I also had a brand new baby granddaughter to hold when ever i wanted to ease the pain. I think the longest I have gone was about 45 days, but I did break the original habit. Unfortunetly lately I have been haveing 1 or 2 on days I am very stressed. and if i drink beer i buy a pack. I am not happy with myself, but at least not waking up wanting one everyday. One of the most important things I have found is NOT TO HAVE ANY IN THE HOUSE. It makes it too easy to give in. Go to that website. There are such scary stories about very young people dying from smoking, it probably saved my life. I still have a cough but nothing like it used tobe ,. I wish i had quit sooneer!!!!!! You can do it. Set a day! It is such a releif to run out of the grocery store not wanting a smoke.

Hang in there, I was a 3 packs a day smoker and quit cold turkey in the spring of 1998. My hubby suddenly became very sick form the smell of smoke on my clothes. I became addidicted to gum, Extra speramint is my fav.

I wish you the best of luck in this huge effort. Quitting was one of the hardest and the best thing I have even done for my own health.

Blackwolf