Cq10

issie

I just recently read that CQ10 can be used for high blood pressure instead of medicine. (This was on the Life Extension web site.) When they thought I had Parkinson's (before my POTS diagnosis). They had me do massive amounts of it -- 1200 mg. day. It supposedly will stop Parkinson's in it's track. With me, I kept getting worse. They also had me taking Lexapro and Wellbutrin with this. Since I kept getting worse, they then thought I had multiple system atrophy. When I got my POTS diagnosis, I stopped all the above things and I'm better, than I was. I wonder if the CQ10 made things worse? I know the Wellbutrin did. I have the hyper form of POTS and with that kind you don't want to take Wellbutrin. I was thinking about trying the CQ10 again, but not sure if I should or not. I tend to have high BP while up and low while lying down. Any ideas?

I?m exactly the opposite, Issie. I get low bp when I stand and high bp when I lie down. I was diagnosed with the Epstein Barr Virus back in 1993, and about seven or eight years ago I discovered a recommended vitamin regimen to combat it, Including 3Kmg Vitamin C, Garlic, Acidophilus and 100mg CQ10. There is no doubt they helped to keep my monthly episodes at bay, but I wonder if taking them for so many years (and still do) has in any way contributed to acquiring Hypo-POTS two years ago. My PotsDoc is well aware of my vitamin intake and had me discontinue only the garlic. Interesting.

I was prescribed CoQ10 for migraines = 1000mg by a headache center. Reduced dose to 500 mg ddue to cost but I have so many things going on it is hard for me to tell whether the change made any difference. The NP at the cardio office liked that I was on it.

I wouldn't be concerned about any effect on BP .

I?m exactly the opposite, Issie. I get low bp when I stand and high bp when I lie down. I was diagnosed with the Epstein Barr Virus back in 1993, and about seven or eight years ago I discovered a recommended vitamin regimen to combat it, Including 3Kmg Vitamin C, Garlic, Acidophilus and 100mg CQ10. There is no doubt they helped to keep my monthly episodes at bay, but I wonder if taking them for so many years (and still do) has in any way contributed to acquiring Hypo-POTS two years ago. My PotsDoc is well aware of my vitamin intake and had me discontinue only the garlic. Interesting.

Simmy,

I don't know?????? It might make your BP drop because you are probably taking it in the A.M. One way to find out ----Stop taking it and see if your BP comes up. If it can be taken as an alternative to high blood pressure pills, it would make sense that it may drop your BP. Let us know if it makes a difference. I did a search on this site and there was a thread in 2004 and allot of people had come to the conclusion that it made them worse. Type in CQ10 into the search box. Let me know what you think. Doctors don't really know that much about natural supplements. You have to educate yourself. What's good for one person will be terrible for another. That's one reason why health stores are not supposed to recommend supplements any more --- it's like prescribing medicine. It can be just that. If you don't know the whole history of someone and you treat only one symptom, you could be messing up something else.