Holistic/complementary Medicine

green

Can anyone give me advice on selecting a holistic doctor? I want to find a doctor in my area who believes in optimizing biomarkers to improve overall health. I have had the same mildly irregular blood test results for a couple of years. My GP doesn't think it has any significance, but he doesn't have any new ideas.

I don't want to get involved with touch therapy, or removing dental fillings, diagnosing hidden food allergies or chemical sensitivities, or anything else outside of mainstream medicine. I want a second opinion on these blood test results from someone who is likely to have a different point of view, but certain points of view are ruled out a priori.

So how do I vet based on my criteria? The best sounding strategy I've come up with is to act on personal recommendations and then ask the doctor about their attitudes during our first meeting. But then I'm already out for the cost of a visit. So this doesn't seem like a good idea.

Hi Green!

One site that you might try is called RateMDs.com. When you see the homepage the top says something like "find a doctor" and then a section comes up that asks you to fill in names if you have one, city or state that you may be looking in and the field of expertise you're looking for. I beleive it's under homeopathy/naturpathy in the drop down menu of field selections! I have used this to check up on doctors I have never seen before and to find good ones.

Hope that helps you out!

KC

You are still going to have to wade through a lot, but here are two American sites:

American Holistic Medical Association

American Association of Naturopathic Physicians

My children's physician is a Holistic Physican, and my Chiropractor recommended a Holistic MD to me, but I did not go since I was pleased with my new Internal Medicine Doc (former Mayo.) Good luck!

There is a great discipline out there called FDM, functional diagnostic medicine. These practioners try to find the underlying cause of symptoms in order to correct imbalances.

They use blood labs and other testing.

If you r interested, I use d someone in NY but she might do phone consultations.

you can email her at centralwellness@yahoo.com

good luck