Need Some Advise!

just want to say i really miss coming here! My daughter is taking up so much time now but i love her so much! she will be four months soon! :(

anyways.. I will be 21 in a month, so my mom thought that it would be fun to go to vegas with a bunch of my girlfriends. she even offered to watch my daughter while i go out. Now this seems like every 21 year old dream come true, but at last i have POTS. I have not drank since i came down with this, and I know i will not make it past midnight. she has paid for the trip and everything. All my friends keep saying how they can wait to buy me shots and drinks. I just feel depressed. I almost want to say the trips off, but i dont want to hurt my moms feelings. What can i say when they all take me out and try to force drinks down my throat. They know i have POTS but certainly dont understand it. Its just so frustrating! :angry:

Dani, you don't have to drink to have a good time. Tell your Mother and your friends that you'll go, with one rule: no alcohol for you. If you are taking anything like Klonopin it is a BIG no-no. Actually, if you want to drink the "virgin" drinks all night, it might keep your BP up high enough to enjoy yourself. When I had a four month old, my biggest treat and the greatest gift I could receive was four hours of uninterrupted sleep! If your friends are your friends, they will understand and try not to make you worse. Don't compromise your health or your daughter's safety by indulging people who don't have your best interest at heart.

I have not had a drink in over two years.......it is highly overrated. :angry:

Dani, you don't have to drink to have a good time. Tell your Mother and your friends that you'll go, with one rule: no alcohol for you. If you are taking anything like Klonopin it is a BIG no-no. Actually, if you want to drink the "virgin" drinks all night, it might keep your BP up high enough to enjoy yourself. When I had a four month old, my biggest treat and the greatest gift I could receive was four hours of uninterrupted sleep! If your friends are your friends, they will understand and try not to make you worse. Don't compromise your health or your daughter's safety by indulging people who don't have your best interest at heart.

I have not had a drink in over two years.......it is highly overrated. :angry:

I'm new here, mostly reading and learning. But when I read your post, I thought of an idea for you. Try getting your friends to check out some of the videos on youtube of people with pots. Maybe then your friends can get a better understanding. I hope you have a fun and safe trip.

Guest tearose

Well first, congrats on all your good news.

I suggest you let your friends know that you will faint or be a rag doll or fall fast asleep if you have more than one little drink!

If you want, you can have a half a shot glass of some type of alcohol mixed with a lot of soda or seltzer and just sip that over an hour or two. Keep refilling the same glass with more soda or seltzer.

Clearly most of us, with loose vasoconstriction, have regretted over doing alcohol because even the next day your blood vessels will STILL be open and funky and you will be very symptomatic.

Try to have fun being out with loved ones and let these "loved ones" know that if they really want to be good to you, they need to honor the fact that you will get very sick if you have more than a sip or two of alcohol.

good luck and happy birthday,

tearose

Happy early Birthday, Dani!

I agree with you. I don't even really like Las Vegas (ok, I can't stand it) because some of us POTSies are so sensitive to too much stimulation. All of the people, noise, alcohol can wear you down quickly. Too bad you don't have an option to go to a really mellow place just to hang out with good friends, relax, and get lots of sleep. Actually, that sounds good to me! A nice spa....but I digress. I would make sure you make your wishes and needs known in advance of the trip, and perhaps get a room just for yourself to get adequate sleep? I also liked k'smom suggestion to have your friends read or watch videos of POTS patients before the trip.

Hope you have a really good time, and if you can, post a pix of your little one so we can see her!

Cheers,

Jana

Agree with what others have said. I have to say that when my daughter was 4 months a spa is what I would have most in mind--along with opportunity to sleep!!

Vegas is like a POTS patient's nightmare (I would imagine, I have never been there myself)--hot, dry, hyper-stimulating + the alcohol. Although I hope it is fun for you. I don't think you should feel uncomfortable ensuring that it is a fun occasion, since it has been planned with you in mind. I know it is hard not to feel and responde to peer-pressure. But your friends are just that, friends, and should therefore want to do what is best and most enjoyable for you. Does your mom understand POTS?

--------NOT WORTH IT !!!!!!!!!-----------

You will feel HORRIBLE if you over indulge. You will want to die, because living will be almost unbearable. Don't ever over drink, especially in public. You don't know how your body will react and you won't have the comforts of home. Have fun, but keep your senses about you. The busy atmosphere will be enough stimulation to your senses. You don't need that mix. Let us know how you do. Try to have fun. There are some really good shows there.

Happy birthday Dani.

As others have pointed out, Vegas can be a Potsie's worst nightmare, (overstimulation, excessive heat and rivers flowing with alcohol), unless you do it right. Many of the hotels are interconnected underground and are air-conditioned, with lots of places to rest if you need to, so as long as you stay inside and refrain from overexertion you can have a wonderful time with your friends.

As far as alcohol goes, if your friends insist you drink, go for it, but every time you take a shot of alcohol they must also take a shot of cyanide so they'll feel as you will. Alcohol for us is poison! Period! Don't do it. Without question you'd be far better off smoking a joint than drinking booze (medically, not legally).

Yes, show them some of the videos before you go. If they are true friends they will understand and support you, in fact they should stop you from drinking even if you change your mind and decide to try some. Friends protect friends, even from themselves.

Send your friends a link to this thread. Perhaps then they will understand.

"Friends don't let pots-friends drink and drop."

Hi Dani! Happy Birthday early! I went to Vegas last September for a friends wedding and the Beavers football game. It was 104 at the game and it was 8:00 at night! I would say the heat was very hard for me but I survived with alot of Powerade. I experimented before I left with having some drinks and seeing how I would do. My tolerance for alcohol has gotten better so I did ok but I only had like 2 drinks which actually made me feel quite buzzed since I had not been drinking in such a long time! Do what is going to make you feel the best ok. You have to come back and take care of your little girl and you dont want to come back and need 3 days just to get back to normal! Will you be flying? I have read that some folk have a hard time with plane rides. Hope you are able to go and enjoy yourself without compromising yourself any further! :angry:

KC

[quote name='Simmy' date='Jun 15 2010, 11:43 AM' post='141416'

As far as alcohol goes, if your friends insist you drink, go for it, but every time you take a shot of alcohol they must also take a shot of cyanide so they'll feel as you will. Alcohol for us is poison! Period! Don't do it.

"Friends don't let pots-friends drink and drop."

BRAVO!!!! I loved this.

Guest humanb4monitor

Pardon myhonesty:

last place on earth--even if we blew up--VEGAS! YUCK YUCK YUCK. The heat can be like a literal BLOW TORCH.

BAIL on that and go to the beach. You are in AZ? If not SanDiego--go down to the Texas Gulf or even magical San Antonio.

I am hopeing to go to Sante Fe this summer for spirit and humilty and BEAUTY unmatched. You would have fun there too. It's about this rite of passge for you and the friends you share it with. Not surrounded by a zillion unknown people looking for superficial, shallow and stupid? NAW!

eeewwww--las vegas.

Southwest Ailines can get you anywhere for NUTHIN"! Is that honest? :)

(((with love)))