New Study On Pregnancy And Pots

Paint the Moon, I hope this report will give you a mental boost. I'm posting the note separately for other members as well. Dr. Low and the Mayo autonomic team just published a study of 116 women who had POTS while pregnant. There were no adverse events, for mother or baby, related to POTS. And overall, the rate of complications in pregnancies/deliveries with POTS mothers were no greater than with other mothers. The study also identified a "trend toward modest improvement" of POTS symptoms both during pregnancy and after delivery. The improvements weren't large, so the researchers concluded that that pregnancy and childbirth have no significant long-term impact on POTS. But the good news is: (1) no harm to the baby from POTS; (2) no trend toward worsening of symptoms for mothers; and (3) possibility of improvement of symptoms. If you experienced improvement during the first months of pregnancy, Paint the Moon, hopefully that will continue for you after delivery!

I haven't read the full study, but the summary is on pubmed: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20516426

This is great and very comforting, but a small sample and more research needed, obviously. Clearly there are different causes of POTS and it seems like ideally that should be looked at in regards to any question.

I am interested in the statement "no complication was related to POTS." Didn't read the full article, but wonder how they know, seeing as so much is still unknown.

I personally find this contradicts my experience. I was sickest ever with POTS during pregnancy and even sicker post-partum. Eventually improved. Would love to understand why I seem to represent the opposite of the typical trend.

You know that is very interesting.

I was not diagnosed with POTS my first pregnancy delivery in 99 but I always had "low energy"

I felt better while pregnant with that first child than I did at any part of my life. I had energy and I loved the feeling.

With the subsequent it didn't work got through them all with a few minor blips but healthy babies yes.

But I'll never forget that first and how good it felt.

Okay to be specific 2nd pregnancy just felt very tired so tired it hurt sometimes.

3rd my only girl very sick to my stomach and then started having PAC's and had premature labor (labor pains everyday that were actual contractions that could be detected on the monitor) ended up going 10 days over my due date also had some hyperthryoid issues that pregnancy that resolved on their own

4th sick again to stomach got severely anemic

Very interesting!

My symptoms started immidiately after delivery of my first son - my second pregnancy was awesome - my symptoms diminished, I was able to go down on my florinef dose, and I felt fantastic through most of it.

The only 'adverse' effect was fetal growth issues and a very small placenta due likely to the beta blocker (metoprolol) I was on. Neither had a major negative impact on my son though and he was born healthy (if somewhat small) at 42 weeks.

Unfortunately my symptoms came back with a vengance afterwards - but my underlying condition is not POTS, but an autoimmune condition - and this pattern is common with autoimmune disease (improvement with pregnancy, worsening afterwards).

But the 'lull' in symptoms sure was nice!

• 1 year later...

This is great and very comforting, but a small sample and more research needed, obviously. Clearly there are different causes of POTS and it seems like ideally that should be looked at in regards to any question.

I am interested in the statement "no complication was related to POTS." Didn't read the full article, but wonder how they know, seeing as so much is still unknown.

I personally find this contradicts my experience. I was sickest ever with POTS during pregnancy and even sicker post-partum. Eventually improved. Would love to understand why I seem to represent the opposite of the typical trend.

I seem to be opposite to everyone also. Pregnancy caused my POTS and I did have complications (low birth weight baby). It is very frustrating that there is not more information in the literature about this topic.

The thing about pots is that its a collection of symtoms and not a illnes in it self. So that makes its so much harder. Many of us know the reson why we have pots, many of us dont.

I am in the dont group. But i hope to gett in the I know group. And for the first time in many years I have a lilte hope again.

But back to topic... I am at this momment pregnant. I am about 4 mnths now. I got diagnosed whit pots back in 98. Have had symstoms of weird stuff as long as i can remeber.

This is my first pregnancy. Back when i was 23 my cardio told me that i shouldnt gett pregnant. Then he said he had now ide how it would go for me. And now he thinks it migth do me some good if i am lucky.

First 12 weeks was very low in energy and lots of nausa. I was more usless then normal :blink: Then gradualy I got better. last 3 days has been not so good. But we are ina bigg renovation and i have had lots of apiontments. So if i consider all that i am in better shape then for years and years..

So a larger bloodvolume is a good thing for me..=) I love it. But many of my other symtoms and weird intoleranse symtoms etc are ust the same. Since i have gone done on allergy meds i strugling more whit that stuff.

But my pots symtoms are lot more easy to handle now. =) Worse day in a long time was yesterday, when my hart rate was actually rather low. And i had sleept really well (for me)...

So i hope i will continue to feel better during my pregnancy and even after. Evry thiny bit of improvment is very welckomed :D

I hope that there will be lot more recearh on pots and all it difrent reasons. And pregnancy and pots. :)

Congrats!

I did the same my first trimester, great my second and bad my last.

I did really great the first three months after birth and crashed hard 6 month pp.

I really want another, but for me pregnancy did seem to have a pretty negative effect on my pots. Before pregnancy I could drive and work part time and now I am going on disability and no longer drive. However everyone is so different and you might be way better after! Just make sure you have a lot of help in the beginning because newborns.are exhausting.and that doesnt go well with pots :)