Urge To Urinate

Does anyone have strong urges to urinate but there's not much urine? Are there any meds or other approaches that help? Or any medications that you've noticed can prompt this? My son is going through a spell of this and we're trying to figure out if it's due to recent med changes (over the last month, increased florinef, increased mestinon, added some prednisone--although not all at once) Thanks for any tips!

This can be a sign of a bladder infection. He should probably have a urinalysis. If that's clean, he may have interstitial cystitis. It's relatively common with autonomic dysfunctions & very uncomfortable.

After you've done the test to rule out an infection, there are medications now that can calm an overactive bladder.

Let us know what you find out.

Julie

Guest tearose

I have bladder dysfunction and so I must go frequently although I don' t often get a large or fast flow.

Conversely, I have had times where I was full and could not empty properly.

With a guy I don't have a clue!

Does anyone have strong urges to urinate but there's not much urine? Are there any meds or other approaches that help? Or any medications that you've noticed can prompt this? My son is going through a spell of this and we're trying to figure out if it's due to recent med changes (over the last month, increased florinef, increased mestinon, added some prednisone--although not all at once) Thanks for any tips!

I have this too. It seems to come and go. i narrowed it down to being the DDAVP and gradually lowered my dose and symptoms resolved. I then started to increase the DDAVP again due to my POTS getting worse and worsening polyuria. Oddly, the bladder pressure and urge did not return as expected. Of note, I stopped drinking Gatorade around the time my symptoms improved. I am baffled. The bladder pressure is either bladder dysfunction that is POTS related (possibly due to alpha receptor sensitivity), DDAVP, or less likely something in the Gatorade. It stinks. I know how he feels. My urologist blamed the salt, but I ruled this out.

These are all helpful suggestions--thanks. My son has suspected the DDAVP connection in the past, so we may try reducing that a little. He takes both DDAVP and florinef so, having gone up on the florinef, maybe we should cut back the DDAVP. And I'm going to check out some of the info on interstitial cystitis--there's definitely bladder issues with autonomic dysfunction and maybe there will be some more clues in that literature. Thanks!

I also have interstitial cystitis, and there are medications for it. Does he have to go more frequently at night? Meaning, does he wake up and go a couple of times? That's the most frustrating thing to me!

good luck!

Wow I have had symptoms like this and thought it was a bladder infection but I tested negative for the bladder infection. It comes and goes and seems to show up before I get my period. It feels like I have the urge to urinate and it's a pressure like feeling but hardly any urine comes out. It may happen several times during the day and then it will just disappear after a few days and then come back months or weeks down the line. I had no idea that this could also be a problem in people with dysautonomia. I just looked up interstitial cystitis and it sounds exactly like what I have been having. I use to drink tins of cranberry juice thinking I had a UTI or Bladder infection when this would happen. That is so weird everything is just all coming together for me after dealing with all of these symptoms for so long.