Prior Pharmacy Has Odd Rx Expiration Dates - Can You Find Out Real Dates?

My RX was filled in April 2009 and says "Expires April 2010, Discard."

The problem is this is one of the medicines I don't use all the time (Ambien). For my old insurance, it was much less costly to do a 90-pill supply mail order. I knew this would last me 12-18 months.

Well, I still have a lot of this bottle left and yet it says to throw it out. It looks like this old pharmacy just put a one-year expiration date on all pill medicines. I know that likely cannot be accurate. What are the chances all my meds would expire exactly one year after the fill date?

Is there any way to find the real expiration date? I feel it's probably been too long for them to back track to the original bottle. I know there are a few meds that are not good to use after expiration but is Ambien something that may just lose potency?

It's not a cheap one to fill (the generic gives me headaches so I have to pay the very big difference for brand!).

you should ask a pharmacist directly, but most prescriptions just lose some potency over time--however, there a few drugs that can go bad and change composition as they break down in such a way that they might be dangerous.

depends on the med. yes some lose potency but depends on many things so mileage may very. Temp/humidity etc. Is it hormones or meds that weaken as Nina mentioned, or stuff that goes bad?

Me i've used stuff way beyong the one year date as most things on shelf have longer life. They do this to cover their rears. Also in my house I keep things in a drawer or a hormone like DDAVP in hall closet that stays consistent in temp year round. A bathroom is the worst place to keep meds due to heat/humidity. but again it depends on many factors.

I'm just sharing not saying what to do in individual cases. But I have no script coverage and have used things long past what bottle from pharmacy says with blessing of my doc. Other things, no. Just ask a pharmacist you trust that has your $$ at heart, too.

Hope this helps more than confuses.

Thank you everyone. I keep my stuff in a drawer in the bedroom (away from light/humidity).

I figured that was an odd date - one year from fill date can't always be the exact expiration! I'll try to find a local (nice) Pharmacist to ask if the worst thing is less potency for this one.

I am careful not to take expired BCP (per my doctor). But I've never asked about my sleeping aid.

I have actually asked the pharmacist that filled an rx in the past what the exp. date is on the manufacturer container and have been told and made a note for myself. I don't know how many would be willing to do this, though. They are required to put one year on the rx regardless of what the "real" expiration date is.