Ooops! Forgot To Take My Mestinon Tonight - Should It Matter Too Much?

Hmmm. I was busy and forgot to take out my 'cut' Mestinon tonight.

I read the instructions and if you miss a dose it says to not double it and wait for the next regular dosage (which is tomorrow).

Of course I get myself paranoid because my heart just skipped a few beats (but I'm telling myself everyone's does that once in a while...it's NORMAL).

I also took 10mg instead of 5mg Midodrine because while running errands I was feeling faint, but I'm allowed to 'adjust' my dosage if needed like that. Usually 5mg is plenty, but today I was feeling a bit off. This was before my Mestinon was due so I know this wasn't the fault of the missed dosage.

Has anyone just forgot to take a medication before? Brain fog/busy and all that. :rolleyes:

If you were certain you missed your dose AND it was still before bedtime, you could have taken it when you remembered, because your next dose wouldn't have been until the following morning anyway. If you're not sure if you took it, wait until the next. A missed dose is far better than an overdose.

Now that I'm on four different daily meds it's become confusing and yes, I have missed many doses and my heart has skipped many beats. It's all normal.

Anyway, since the one thing I always carry with me is my cell phone, I programmed my doses into separate, repeating calendar alarms to ring and remind me at the right time (there are also apps available for download). That works pretty well except for the times I hit snooze, or thought I did, or wasn't sure if I did because I was busy at the time, so I also bought two 7-day pill boxes, one for my morning doses and one for my bedtime Desmopressin. I know with 100% accuracy whether or not I took those doses just by looking at the correct day, and with POTS my memory isn't what it used to be.

Like you, I also adjust my Midodrine doses throughout the day (10mg, 5mg, or none) depending on my expected activity level for the coming four hours, and my 2nd dose of Mestinon is in the evening but not at bedtime, so for those I rely on my phone and adjust times accordingly.

Of course whenever I go out I also carry a portable, small pill container, holding a bunch of Midodrines and a few of each of the others, just in case.

I hate it when I take too much by mistake and the doctor just makes sure someone is with me for the day and that I'm in bed not moving around. Now I use a pill box even though I hate filling it.

I now have a 'weekly pill box' that is broken down by day, too. I guess with this I will KNOW if I took my medicines that day or not.

I'm really not fond of these memory problems. :(

I'll look into the cell phone alarm, too.

Thanks for making me feel better. Sometimes I feel like I'm losing it!

Can't give you any Mestinon advice but I have that losing it feeling frequently lately. I took an extra dose of atenolol right before bed last week instead of the xanax I usually take. My HR runs all the way down to the 40's as it is just with one dose. I stayed up late that night to make sure I didnt' get too bradycardic and survived another night. Hate when that happens!!

Brye