How Does Magnesium Help?

I think it's hard to know if/how eating Mg of one form or another will interact with POTS but there are ample things one can speculate on. I got interested in Mg from bumping in to this CFS related article, but if you explore the referenced web site further and do other related Mg searching you can find ample studies and theories in most all matters of health. Many of the conditions & symptoms are right up our alley too, so maybe Mg is a key player in our woes:

http://www.mgwater.com/clmd.shtml

The "hardest" link that sticks in my mind is that sympathetic nervous system activity & activity of catecholamines is said to deplete Mg. Folks with POTS are said to have a lot of sympathetic nervous system activity, especially at certain times and probably chronically (and some constantly). Perhaps when we push ourselves, the chance of transient Mg depletion is quite realistic or even inevitable.

It is interesting that this study indicates Mg shortage and some observable responses can be so quick (on the order of days):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1384353?dopt=Abstract

Also some of the "players" mentioned even in just this brief abstract are catchy... kinin related increase in histamine activity via substance-p induced mast cell activity. I forgot what Raj/Vandy substance-P research might have turned up, or if it is still ongoing. Whether or not it found a smoking gun for some folks, perhaps Mg depletion can be a potential link one way or another to some/many of our symptoms.