What Are My Options For Severe Stomach Bloating?

sue1234

I used to use Reglan, but of course, with all the problems related to it, I had to get off of it. But, my gastro NP didn't offer anything to do a similar job. I have gotten so bad these last few days, I broke out the Reglan to help. I had tried Domperidone last year, and I didn't notice ANY help from it. So, what else is there? I am desperate--it makes me so short of breath. I have lost 12 lbs. in the last 2 months(on purpose) and I still have to wear my original size pants, as my waist size bloats up that big. The hip-part is so baggy now.

Sue, I do not have any suggestions, but wanted to tell you that abdominal distention/swelling is definitely one of my top symptoms too! I also have abdominal pain and constipation. Ugh! I have an appt to see my gastroenterologist this week. I am sorry we are having to deal with this. Please let me know if you come up with something that helps you, and I will do the same! Take care.

Did someone mention bloating? ((((((I'm a bloater)))))))).... someone just recently introduced me to "Kiefer" a delicious strawberry flavored probiotic. I'm addicted to it. I may be wrong, but I may be right. I think it is helping my tummy issues. You buy it in the milk section of the grocery store or at a trader joe's. I find it soothes the belly and I may be wrong but I feel less bloated. : ) and that is a good thing these days.

BellaMia~ :unsure:

I used to have this very badly, very painfully... one of the things I found that helped were anti-spasmodics... mebeverine and buscopan. Do you have those where you are? They are even better if you take them before you know a bloating episode might come on...

I used to have this very badly, very painfully... one of the things I found that helped were anti-spasmodics... mebeverine and buscopan. Do you have those where you are? They are even better if you take them before you know a bloating episode might come on...

JANEY.

where did you get those from? are the over the counter?

bellamia~*

I'm in the UK, and these are widely available to people in the UK who have IBS. Buscopan is over the counter but mebeverine is prescription only..

Whereare you guys based? xx

USA~*

Thanks Janey for the info ; ) Have a nice day. bellamia~*

I have it too, and sometimes I look 8 months pregnant. Unbelivable bloat! It's worse at night. It's the best in the morning.

constipation is my middle name----and the probiotics don't work! No they don't............not at all.

I'm going to the Cleveland Clinic for a GI workup due to both family history of Colon Cancer, and other GI problems.....

They are going to set me up with the best doctor they have for colonoscopies so I can have mine done without sedation, or very little sedation. My body can't handle the effects from sedation right now, as I have too many other issues related to EDS, POTS, and spine instability going on. Local Docs won't do a colonoscopy because of problems with both my POTS and cervical/cranial instability.

I'm scared, but happy to have this investigated further at the same time. I did have an lower GI 2 1/2 years ago, and a upper GI soon after that. Recently they spotted some liver lesions, but said it's probably hepatic cysts. I know I had one cyst for many years----but once I heard about more, I said that's it, I want to get this over with----full GI workup..............

The nurse I spoke with at the CC was very nice, and said these doctors are very familiar with POTs patients, and also likely to know about EDS. She admitted she didn't know a lot about EDS---but assured me they would take good care of me. That's what I want to hear from a Nurse or Doctor!

Maxine :0)

Thanks for all the suggestions.

As far as kefir, yogurt, or probiotics, those are a big no-no for my system! I have tried them off/on over the years, and consistently they make my bloating way worse, and for weeks til it settles down to "normal" bloating.

I actually have a bm everyday or almost, just it's like I don't pass gas(sorry, way TMI!!). It just sits and sits, and I burp and burp. It used to go down by morning but not anymore. It stays with me 24/7 now. The only time I have not been bloated was when I was on my 3-day fast. All the bloating went totally away and it felt wonderful. It lasted for a couple of weeks, then came back. I don't understand why I would be ok for a few weeks after the fast, as I was eating again. It is like things slowly start backing up until it can't ever catch up, maybe??

I go to the gi doctor tomorrow. Does erythromycin move gas along?

Did you get checked out for celiac disease? This can cause a lot of gas. When I first crashed with POTs I couldn't pass gas--(I know TMI)-----but we do have to deal with the business at hand----- :) .

When I go to the Cleveland Clinic, I'm sure they'll check me for this also, as you can see on my signature line I do have some intestinal issues. Bloat is my middle name. I have severe bloat yesterday, and looked 8 months pregnant. Today the bloat is much better.

It would be nice if this misery could be removed from our symptoms.

Maxine :0)

There was a point where stomach bloating, while probably not my worst issues, was definitely my most annoying and uncomfortable one. Normal BMs, but felt like I needed to pass gas and couldn't.

I was also having problems with my blood sugar(I would get the shakes if I didn't eat every few hours), and in trying to fix that I accidentally got rid of the stomach problems too. I cut out all sugar and ate LOTS of fiber. I switched from white flour/rice to brown and stopped eating processed foods, as much as I could anyway. Gradually the stomach problems just went away. So did the shakes. Not really sure what specifically was causing the problem, and I try to pay attention when it flares up again. Like today for example, I feel bloated and have a feeling it has to do with that small bag of chips I ate earlier (needed the sodium!). Don't know for sure though.

Have you ever been checked for any food allergies or intolerances? I was tested by one of my hormone docs and about 15 foods came back positive, so now I avoid the ones with the highest responses (wheat, dairy, yeast, eggs) and I'm doing A LOT better with the bloating.

This might be something to investigate.