Can't Breathe Lying Down

Regardless of my position (on my back, on my side, or on my stomach), I normally have difficulty breathing (along with bad chest pains) while lying down, thus making going to sleep very difficult (why I am writing this at 1:30 am when I need to be awake by 8:00 am). I feel like I am suffocating, and it only is relieved when I sit back up again. I currently can't raise the head of my bed, as it is part of a bunk bed and would be too unbalanced to raise up. Does anyone else get this, and if so, do you have any tips on how to deal with it and maybe help my breathing and chest pains?

i do get this but i am also 9 months pregnant so that could be it too..

but i have gotten this symptoms way before i was so maybe not LOL. the only thing that works for me is to prop up a bunch of pillows and lay on my side.

I get this when ANS stuff is bad and I find if I prop myself up with lots of pillows and such I can get some sleep.

If this is a new thing for you I would get it looked into if it continues.

I get this when I am in a bad patch-which is right now. I had no sleep last night because of this and feel shattered.xx

I was able to, probably out of just sheer exhaustion, finally make it to sleep... I still woke up several times feeling smothered. My POTS symptoms have been just HORRIBLE the past few days (at one point, I thought I was getting a stomach virus, I was so bad). I have an hour drive (two way trip) today, but I'm kind of excited (exhaustedly excited, though), since I'm going to a Gastrointestional doctor and a geneticist... I think the stomach problems are directly related to POTS and Ehlers-danlos syndrome... Been diagnosed with POTS, the geneticist should be diagnosing me with EDS.

Regardless of my position (on my back, on my side, or on my stomach), I normally have difficulty breathing (along with bad chest pains) while lying down, thus making going to sleep very difficult (why I am writing this at 1:30 am when I need to be awake by 8:00 am). I feel like I am suffocating, and it only is relieved when I sit back up again. I currently can't raise the head of my bed, as it is part of a bunk bed and would be too unbalanced to raise up. Does anyone else get this, and if so, do you have any tips on how to deal with it and maybe help my breathing and chest pains?

I am a "strep carrier" and when I have a flare-up (not strep throat) I get that way. Once I start taking an antibiotic to kick it in the butt, I don't have the night breathing problems anymore. Also, I find that when I have problems breathing any time of day or night, I am usually retaining a lot of fluid... rings are tight, shoes are tight, face puffy, etc.

I am a "strep carrier" and when I have a flare-up (not strep throat) I get that way. Once I start taking an antibiotic to kick it in the butt, I don't have the night breathing problems anymore. Also, I find that when I have problems breathing any time of day or night, I am usually retaining a lot of fluid... rings are tight, shoes are tight, face puffy, etc.

I was a strep carrier too until they removed my adenoids and tonsils. my cardiologist seems to think that having tons of reoccurring strep problems led to my POTS.

Is one determined to be a strep carrier simply by a "culture" (like swab & grow test), or some other process? Does it basically mean that you have strep but it isn't in a florid form with obvious symptoms?

Basically i had strep since i was 9 on and off. When they removed my tonsils/adenoids they found they were very full of the infection even though i had no symptoms at the time. They told me i was a carrier because if someone in my family had strep, I probably did the weeks prior to. Also if I became run down, I would immediately get strep. Since coming down with POTS 3 years ago, the strep attacks increase so i just had the tonsils removed. I have not had one problem since :)

Is one determined to be a strep carrier simply by a "culture" (like swab & grow test), or some other process? Does it basically mean that you have strep but it isn't in a florid form with obvious symptoms?

Basically i had strep since i was 9 on and off. When they removed my tonsils/adenoids they found they were very full of the infection even though i had no symptoms at the time. They told me i was a carrier because if someone in my family had strep, I probably did the weeks prior to. Also if I became run down, I would immediately get strep. Since coming down with POTS 3 years ago, the strep attacks increase so i just had the tonsils removed. I have not had one problem since :blink:

Have any of you had a sleep study. I did and they found that while I dont have sleep apnea, I desaturate into the 70's when I sleep. Its worse on my back. This is something that usually happens to very obese people and I am not so they are not sure why it happens. Now that I think I have dysautonomia, I think its related to it.