Swelling Of One Foot Only

yogini

Hi. I just realized that my right foot has been swollen for a few weeks. I bought a new pair of shoes that seemed tighter on the right side. Then last night I wore another pair of shoes that felt tight too...and realized it was my foot and not the shoes.

My foot doesn't hurt at all. I googled to see what might be causing this, and I saw deep vein thrombosis as a cause. I was hoping it was more like a stress fracture or something. Now I am freaking out. Do any of you have this symptom?

Of course I realize this the day before I am leaving on a work trip too. Even a stress fracture would not be good. I'm calling my dr first thing in the am!

Edited by yogini

Guest tearose

Yogini,

I have swelling in my left foot,calf and left hand, arm. It is called lymphedema. They looked for tumors, cancer, DVT...Mayo Clinic did a lymphocintigraphy and found the lymphatic channels did not drain properly on the left. There is damage. The right side is normal.

It is important you find out that you don't have a clot or something else. If it is lymphedema they will try to figure out how you got it. Treat the first cause and then help you treat the lymphedema. It is unusual to have one sided issues like these so they will consider Central Nervous System involvement.

I am sorry you are dealing with this. When I was first swollen and before adequate drainage I actually had to buy two different sizes of pairs of shoes. My left side needed two sizes bigger!

I am excellent at maintenance and am now back in one size shoe (sometimes I size up a a half size) and one size blouse.

tearose

How swollen is it? Is the whole thing swollen? It is red at all? I have one foot that swells up and gets somewhat painful if I wear certain shoes that cross over the top of my foot. I some a doctor about it, and it turns out that I have an inflammed nerve on the top of this foot. I hope it is nothing serious!

Thanks. The swelling is slight. The only reason I can tell it's swollen is because my right shoes are a bit tight. It is a little numb now that I think about it, but it may be because I am obsessing! It's hard to tell about redness - my feet are always a little red due to POTS. I spoke to a dr friend who thinks it's probably a sprain. I have a drs appt this afternoon and will report back.

Well, my dr doesn't think it's anything serious, such as DVT or congestive heart failure. He confirmed there is some slight swelling and that it doesn't look like a foot injury. He told me to keep my foot elevated and to cut down on salt (which I am NOT going to do). He said he thinks it will either (most likely) go away or get worse, in which case we can do further tests. He did order a blood workup, which I won't have time to do til next week. He ended by saying "There is always something slightly wrong with you and we can never pinpoint the cause." Well HELLO...isn't that the story of my life! Oh well, at least I can go on my trip without worrying.

I have intermittent foot/ankle swelling and at times it's worse than others. My left is always worse than the right. Not sure why but I have a lot of varicose veins and venous insufficiency I just figure it's worse on the left. When it's really acting up I'm always torn on what to do because the obvious things can be horrible for me. (less salt, diuretic) One thing that does help is my compression socks. If I wear those a couple days in a row it takes care of it for a while.

Good luck!!

Brye

He ended by saying "There is always something slightly wrong with you and we can never pinpoint the cause." Well HELLO...isn't that the story of my life!

:) ! At least he's honest! I'm glad he couldn't find a serious problem. I hope it clears up quickly. I get some swelling also, but it's usually relieved by elevating my extremities.

He ended by saying "There is always something slightly wrong with you and we can never pinpoint the cause." Well HELLO...isn't that the story of my life!

The story of so many of our lives... at least those of us here can understand how true that statement is :rolleyes: Maybe someday we will all get an answer... if not in this life, then in the next. Enjoy your trip!