I Forgot To Tell You Guys

Notgivinup

A week or so ago. I wanted him to check the spots/marks on my back that have been there for three years. (the same amount of time I've been sick). Anyway they look like UP to me. I've compared them to pictures on the internet derm. sites.

Do you know what he said to me after he looked at them.

He sat down in his chair and the first thing he said to me was...."how depressed are you?" ***? !?!!

He wouldn't even do a scraping to see if they were mast cell related (contained histamine). I asked him, he mumbled something about not wanting to send me down that path. Seriously?!!! I was furious. I left. Ugggggg.

Hmmmm. No link between depression and UP that I've ever heard of- too weird. Definitely get a 2nd opinion!

I know. I even took pictures of them with my camera to compare. I wish i could upload them for you guys to see. They sure look like em to me.

But the other weird thing was IF he didn't think they were UP why didn't he just say so?

I once went to a well respected doctor and he was a pretty arrogant guy but he said something Ill never forget:

'Now, do you want a Bull S%^! answer or do you want the medical truth?'

I said: 'I guess the truth.'

Doctor: 'Im surprised. Most patients now days seem to prefer the bull %$^* answers.'

Me: 'Aha.'

Doctor: 'Well the truth is I have no idea what is wrong with you. It does seem very similar to hyperthyroidism and reactive hypoglycemia but I can tell you with 100% certainty that it is neither.'

What? How much money did you pay him for this appointment? That's awful ... so sorry! That my require a letter if you have a moment with an extra burst of energy! Hope you don't let that discourage you from getting another opinion!!

Brye

Question: "How depressed are you?"

Answer: "Well, about 5% depressed because I always feel like crap, 10% incredulous at your callous assumption and 85% Pi$$ed off that I actually paid to see YOU! Oh, and 100% disappointed in your bed-side manner!"

BTW, I got the same response from my first dermatologist. I got a better response from my allergist.

The more I think about this one, the angrier :) I get. What an arrogant & chauvinist (I'm assuming he's a man) ***. Whomever his accrediting board is- THEY deserve a letter. Very unprofessional!

Sounds like you need to find a different dermatologist. If he had been able to say "this is totally normal but I can see you are worried about it" or something like that then maybe a discussion about anxiety / depression would be in order, but to just ignore the skin problem is totally unfair.

Flop

Fire, too funny. I wish I would have said something like that.

What I did say was, (in a somewhat harsh voice I'm sure)" I am NOT depressed, I am distressed". To which he had no reply.

I paid my co-pay & left. It really did make me feel like I was crazy. I started thinking to myself, maybe there aren't any spots. No. Wait. I'm not crazy. Beverly at doctor Grubbs office saw them, she acknowledged them, she just couldn't say what they were. She is not a dermatologist.

Unfortunately this has made me very reluctant to see another doctor. You only have so much energy, time and money for co-pays. Not to mention, the possibility of being made to feel like that again, or worse.

Sounds like you need to find a different dermatologist. If he had been able to say "this is totally normal but I can see you are worried about it" or something like that then maybe a discussion about anxiety / depression would be in order, but to just ignore the skin problem is totally unfair.

Flop

My thoughts exactly!!