Hypoglycemia

gertie

Anyone have trouble keeping their blood glucose level up when they are having periods they can't eat much? I've passed out 3 times this week. Since strep throat I'm not hungry & food especially sweets taste awful but I'm trying to eat a bite or two every few min. Just wonder how you handle low blood sugar? Thanks.

I get low blood sugar, with symptoms, and my readings will be in the 50s and 40s, with one in the 30s. I am going to a new endo that says she is going to investigate further into this. They checked my cortisol level and she mentioned doing a 72-hour fast to test for an insulinoma. I have never fainted with it. Have you documented your lows by a meter to see how low you get? If you are repeatedly fainting due to low blood sugar, you need to be investigated for an insulinoma! It is not normal to get soooo low that you pass out. Try and ask you endo about further testing.

When I first started with dysautonomia my glucose would get so low it would not register. What was strange the dr would give me an IV's to try to get it stabilized & it only made me pass out more. I have adrenal problems so I have to have protein at every meal. I don't have a problem as long as I can eat but when I get sick for any reason that I can't eat I'm in trouble. At the moment I don't want anything to eat but am forcing myself.

How will you fast for 72 hours & stay conscious? Isn't that dangerous? If your test are positive does that mean you will take insulin? I didn't make it through a colonoscopy prep without passing out so I know I would be dead in 72 hours. The more sugary drinks I drank the sicker I got. Please be careful. Thanks for reply.

The 72-hour fast only lasts as long as your body lasts. In other words, if at 6 hours you are having symptoms, they will take all the blood for testing, and as soon as they see a low glucose, they quit. They test your levels before you start the fast, and then when symptoms start. They are also looking to see if you are producing too much insulin that would keep causing your glucose to be lowered. If you have low glucose in the face of an abnormally normal insulin OR high insulin, then they look for the insulinoma on the pancreas, an insulin-secreting benign tumor. You remove it surgically and you are then all well. If you would like to read on a forum of just insulinoma people, here is the link. It seems you have alot of common symptoms with alot of them.

http://www.unboundedmedicine.com/2006/01/1...-triad-surgery/

Fainting is a serious sign when accompanying low glucose and needs to be addressed.

I got thoroughly tested numerous times for reactive hypoglycemia because I had all the symptoms but my blood sugar was always normal or low normal. for me at least it appeared that POTS made me more sensitive to the adrenaline fluctuations or fairly normal blood sugar regulation. I feel like ive got reactive hypoglycemia - and if i miss a meal sometimes i feel like utter crap.