Computer Problems

gertie

I am so bad with anything computer related. I have Win XP & upgraded to IE8. I decided to be brave & update adobe reader to 9.2. I uninstalled my previous adobe as instructed. Now I can't get adobe 9.2 to install or any other adobe. I keep getting an error message. Now I have no Adobe. Everything I read says to change browsers but I like what I have. I've tried Firefox & Google & I didn't care for them.

What browser do you use? Any suggestions what I might do to fix my problem. Also, has anyone used Foxit instead of Adobe? I'm a little afraid to change to something I've never heard of. Sorry so many questions but I'm in a big mess.

Thanks.

I use Firefox with Adblocker plus Add on to keep vertigo inducing flashing adds away. ;)

http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/upgrade.html

On pages where Firefox doesn't work (few but they are out there, I use Opera but it does not block adds)

http://www.opera.com/

Also on Firefox I hate it with the "tab" feature, I turn it off so it acts like normal browsers.

Also with Opera, I sometimes get confused with the back button that sometimes disappears...so rarely use Opera except as back up. :)

Ditto to Firefox and Opera... Firefox is one of the Mozilla open source products which is frequently upgraded and improved. Here's the Mozilla Page with options for 3 different Mozilla based broswers and/or suites.

• 2 weeks later...

I always used NetscapeNavigator at university so when I got my own computer and had to use Internet Explorer I didn't get on well with it.

I have been using firefox for about 6 years now and love it. One of the best bits for me is the tab function (came in firefox ages before IE). Right now my open tabs are: DINET, hotmail, facebook, amazon, and a friend's blog. I am forever flicking between different websites.

Flop

What browser do you use? Any suggestions what I might do to fix my problem.
I use Firefox. I enjoy the spellcheck performed automatically when filling in textboxes (like forum posts)!

I also use a plug-in called "wired-marker" which, though it won't bring solution & simplification to any problems, does do some cool stuff when trying to research stuff! Basically it enables one to build tagged & commented "highlights" of web pages, which one then can examine from different angles later. For example, I highlight symptoms, measures, treatments, especially-notable-info, etc. Later I can peruse (or make report of) those topics, seeing the highlighted info, any personal comments, and with quick access to original source (or a cached copy). It is a "power tool", not a life simplifier... but I mention it because it was helpful for me weeding through the many different conditions that cross over with the notoriously "non-specific" symptoms of POTS, CFS, et. al.

http://www.wired-marker.org/en/index.html

It's like what you would do with a box of different colored highlighter pens when tackling a library of complex intertwined information looking for "subtext" or "cross source themes"... after drinking a full pot of coffee, of course. Very "wired" markers, if you will! I use it in addition to a categorized/hierarchical bookmark collection... with my bookmarks being organized by the stated primary topic of the web-site... and the wired-marker embellishes by leaving color coded highlights right on the pages and tracking super-topics across disparate sources. For example, a page talking about a specific endocrine disorder might list symptoms, chemical or exam measurements, treatments and something that strikes me as insightful but nonspecific or allusion to "link" with a different disease. I'll flag those individually. Makes for a "rich" and multi-organized information set.

Full overkill, and not for the feint of heart... but a fun tool.

Hi Alicia,

I'm glad that you managed to get your Adobe downloaded - what a pain that it didn't suggest turning off add-ins. Good thing that it was a simple "fix" and that you didn't have to change your browser against your wishes.

I also thought of another Firefox function that I use so much that I forget it is there - support for languages other than English. I am totally bilingual. I was born in England and grew up in a family that spoke only English at home, but from the age of 6 weeks we actually lived in Wales (one of the Countries that makes up the UK). I went to a Welsh school so did all of my education up to age 16 in Welsh (history essays written in Welsh, my French vocabulary book was Welsh-French!). I know microsoft does support a lot of the major languages but it doesn't have any features for use with Welsh. Firefox has really good spelling and grammar support for Welsh (which is helpful as I now live in England and hardly ever get to speak Welsh but do e-mail friends and post on facebook in Welsh).

A bi-lingual Flop