Pots And Kidney Stones

persephone

Are there any more theories about connections between POTS and the kidneys?

I never used to have trouble with my kidneys. I've always been one to drink a lot and wee a lot, but now I've just had my 2nd stone in 11 months.

The pain was horrendous.

I am only in my 20s!

my bloods give no clues about why this is happening.

I wonder if my kidneys are irritated by my super high salt diet, the EPO I take, and all the gatorade I drink?

My Gran had low bp and kidney stones...is there a connection, do you think?

Curious to hear others' experiences.

I can't help on a relation of POTS and kidney stones. All I know is if you get kidney stones, you should definitely have your serum calcium, ionized calcium and PTH done, along with a 24-hour urine calcium. That would rule out a parathyroid tumor, which can give people headaches and muscle aches(I see you get migraines and have fibromyalgia). It would be good for you to get it ruled out, for sure.

I got my first stone in 2007 then again in 2008. That was before my dysauto stuff started but I have had kidney pain that feels just like a stone is coming and then nothing! Very odd. It's always in my left side too. I'd have to get my records from my urologist and ask where the scan said I have some stones still!

KC

I never used to have trouble with my kidneys. I've always been one to drink a lot and wee a lot, but now I've just had my 2nd stone in 11 months.

The pain was horrendous.

I am only in my 20s!

I wonder if my kidneys are irritated by my super high salt diet, the EPO I take, and all the gatorade I drink?

Hi Persephone .. can I ask you What tests you have had done to diagnose your stones ... also did they pass on their own ?...

I have had similar happening in past eighteen months now ... I have been hospitalised with renal colic, they did an ultra sound and a plain x-ray ... that showed a tiny thing in my bladder .. the pain was terrible like I had had a big operation ... I did have some visible blood when in the A/E dept ... I have heard that the stones can be tiny and cause a lot of pain ....

the pain seems to be coming on every day intermittently, although on the admission to the hospital I had the pain constant for three weeks unrelenting and was in a lot of pain ... can't seem to be free of it at all ....

I did not have any problems like this before I had pots .. I also have IST ... I often wonder if the kidney problems are related to the fast heart rate, but then everyone with stones would have this problem ....

Just to had, I do drink a lot of water but I have spell of going for a pee quite a lot and frequent in the night could be five times ... and then a spell of the opposite hardly going and doing very little ..... even though my fluids remain the same ......

also I have huge burst of tachy after I have been to pee !! .. does anyone else notice this?....

• 9 years later...
On 11/24/2009 at 4:22 PM, persephone said:

The pain was horrendous.

I am only in my 20s!

I to have had he same issues and have both Pots and the Kidney stones

@Sweet T & @persephone- I get kidney stones (imaged via CT) and have had multiple episodes of kidney pain where there was no stone imaged or passed.  Both hurt the same. In both cases hydrating even more than my POTS-level hydration helps. The pain is very different from muscle pain in the back, which I get sometimes too. I've had 1-2 kidney-stone-like experiences per year for the last 12 years, and possible dysautonomia symptoms dating back 20+ years. My dysautonomia and kidney stones have gotten worse over the past few years (resulting in an actual diagnosis and finding this forum).

I have three unsatisfactory hypotheses for my unexplained kidney pains:

1) My bladder dysfunction may cause a backup of fluid. "Hydronephrosis is the swelling of a kidney due to a build-up of urine." [REF] It is said to be similarly painful to kidney pain. While I constantly pump fluids through my body for POTS (and was before I knew about POTS) I think sometimes fluid backs up into the kidney, causing pain. I have bladder dysfunction, so this seems possible. The problem with this explanation is that drinking more fluid seems like it should make hydronephrosis more painful, not less painful.

2) I get nerve pain nearly everywhere else, so why not in my kidney? But usually my nerve pain feels more like a burning/electricity feeling, whereas my kidney pain is more of a dull achy pressure that builds up to a knife in the back sensation. Plus, I don't see how hydration would help with nerve pain.

3) At 42 years, I'm just falling apart.

Of course, there could be no causation, just correlation. If anyone else has another hypothesis, I'd love to hear it.

• 2 years later...