For Those Of You Who Take Licorice Root

prettyinpink

I just started taking horse chestnut and butchers broom supplements(their are actual scientific studies demonstrating their ability to improve chronic venous insufficiency) and I've noticed a small improvement. I think it depends on how you're doing with the medications you're on. My medications are helping but not helping enough so i'm adding a few things to see if it helps. If my blood pressure gets high or my symptoms are worse i'll know i'm taking too much. Its sooooo challenging to make sure i'm getting the right supplement not all companies and products are created actual.

One thing, since it triggers the kidney to hold salt & dump potassium (just like fludrocortisone does) just keep an eye over time that electrolytes don't drift out of balance. They won't necessarily do this, but they can. Specifically potassium might drift too low. When I went on fludro, my doc had me do a blood test or two over the months to see how I responded. If you go low, I think you just supplement potassium and it should come back into range.

I found the licorice extracts to be a little too strong and in the end I opted for lollies i found with guaranteed 5% licorice extract. That worked wonders for me for years.

Butcher's Broom was the most amazing medication I have ever taken for POTS. I felt wonderful for about three days before it started to require more and more to do the same and I also started to get lots of jitteriness. After about nine days on it it really stopped working and I felt worse than when I started - postural anxiety was worse.

Id say that butchers broom is potentially fantastic if you can work out how to stop the tolerance.

If you happen to know the half-life of the effectiveness, you could work around the tolerance. My sleep doctor taught me how to get around that with Ambien, since I build up a tolerance to hypnotics so fast. He had me cycle every other or every three days so that my body would have a "down-time" without the drug and it would maintain its effectiveness. Obviously you can't do this with some drugs that need to build up in the system, or any that would have profound effects on your cardiovascular system. This was also the last phase of my GP's taper schedule off Klonopin. Do you know how long it remained active in your system? It may also be a cycling of several supplements or an addition of one to the licorice or butcher's broom.

No my GP and i just decided to try it. It was VERY effective at first - almost amazingly so, but it made me feel more 'jumpy' as well which wasnt fun. I think you'd have to take it with a beta blocker or something to make it work well??

Also from RXlist.com:

How does Butcher's Broom work?

The chemicals in butcher's broom might cause the blood vessels to narrow or constrict. Butcher's broom might improve blood circulation in the legs by preventing blood from "pooling" in the veins.

I think a BB would neutralize the effectiveness by lowering BP, perhaps taken with a CNS depressant would be better. Maybe taken with GABA?

Edited by firewatcher

Licorice root seems to act to increase aldosterone:

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration does not strictly regulate herbs and supplements. There is no guarantee of strength, purity or safety of products, and effects may vary. You should always read product labels. If you have a medical condition, or are taking other drugs, herbs, or supplements, you should speak with a qualified healthcare provider before starting a new therapy. Consult a healthcare provider immediately if you experience side effects.

Allergies

People should avoid licorice if they have a known allergy to licorice, any component of licorice, or any member of the Fabaceae (Leguminosae) plant family (pea family). There is a report of rash after applying a cosmetic product containing licorice to the skin.

Side Effects and Warnings

Licorice contains a chemical called glycyrrhizic acid, which is responsible for many of the reported side effects. DGL (deglycyrrhizinated licorice) has had the glycyrrhizic acid removed, and therefore is considered safer for use.

Many of the adverse effects of licorice result from actions on hormone levels in the body. By altering the activities of certain hormones, licorice may cause electrolyte disturbances. Possible effects include sodium and fluid retention, low potassium levels, and metabolic alkalosis.

Electrolyte abnormalities may also lead to irregular heartbeats, heart attack, kidney damage, muscle weakness, or muscle breakdown. Licorice should be used cautiously by people with congestive heart failure, coronary heart disease, kidney or liver disease, fluid retention (edema), high blood pressure, underlying electrolyte disturbances, hormonal abnormalities, or those taking diuretics.

Hormonal imbalances have been reported with the use of licorice, such as abnormally low testosterone levels in men or high prolactin levels and estrogen levels in women. However, study results conflict. These adverse effects may reduce fertility or cause menstrual abnormalities.

Reduced body fat mass has been observed with the use of licorice, but weight gain is also possible. Acute pseudo-aldosteronism syndrome has been associated with licorice. Paralysis has been reported in a patient taking licorice that contributed to low potassium levels. Thyrotoxic periodic paralysis (TPP) has been associated with licorice. Metabolic alkalosis and seizure has been reported from licorice in antacid.

Licorice has been reported to cause high blood pressure, including dangerously high blood pressure with symptoms such as headache, nausea, vomiting, and hypertensive encephalopathy with stroke-like effects (for example, one-sided weakness).

High doses of licorice may cause temporary vision problems or loss. Ocular side effects have been reported. Central retinal vein occlusion has been associated with licorice. A case report exists of licorice-induced hypokalemia associated with dropped head syndrome (DHS).

Pregnancy and Breastfeeding

Licorice cannot be recommended during pregnancy and breastfeeding due to possible alterations of hormone levels and the possibility of premature labor.

Hormonal imbalances reported with the use of licorice include abnormally low testosterone levels in men and high prolactin levels/estrogen levels in women. However, study results conflict. 17-OHP and LH levels may also be affected.

Licorice root seemed to be very helpful in reducing my son's dizziness for several months. Then he seemed to develop a tolerance to it. Now he's taking a Licorice Root "vacation" and we'll try it again in a couple of months. You need to take the type with glycyrrhizin; that's the key to its effectiveness for POTS. I went to a compounding pharmacy that sells a lot of natural remedies and asked them which brand they recommend. They gave me Licorice Root made by Douglas Laboratories.

Have you checked with your doctor to make sure it's okay for you to take this?

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

What ive really noticed with licorice root is that the tolerance does build and the face puffiness goes away on the same dose. Im up to the maximum dose now and it doesnt do anywhere near as much as it was the first two months of this relapse. I literally went from being bed bound and terribly dizzy and weak in bed to going out to dinner one night after two days on nothing but licorice tea!

• 7 years later...
  • 1 year later...