Felt Worse With Increase In Bp

lissy

Hey all,

Last night I was very exhausted and angry and when I stood I felt like I was floating when I walked. So i took BP while standing it was 128/87 and heart rate was 115 , this was standing 5 minutes at the most. anyway I have never had 120/ over anything ever and I felt terrible . Usually its 90's maybe 100 over 60 or 70 .

Should that really make me feel worse or could my body just not be use to it that high? Curious because I'm suppose to be taking fludrocortisone and if that increases BP wouldn't that make me feel worse?

Thanks Lissy

Hi Lissy

I know the floating feeling you are talking about.

My BP did the same thing once. I was feeling terrible, racing heart, dizzy as ever and I was thinking, What's going on?! So I took my BP and HR- BP was 140/90 and HR was 130. This is extremely out of the ordinary for me. My average blood pressure is about 89/49. Really low.

I wasn't on any medication when this happened, I have no idea why it happened..

If you get anxious or panicky all of the sudden, it can cause a temporary abnormal spike in blood pressure. Perhaps you got nervous when you stood up and felt funny like you were floating?

I'm no doctor, but I don't think the fludro will make you worse because from what I understand, it only raises and regulates your baseline BP. A slight increase in your baseline BP would probably alleviate some of your daily symptoms. But again.. not a doctor.

How long have you been taking fludro, or have you started..?

Hey all,

Last night I was very exhausted and angry and when I stood I felt like I was floating when I walked. So i took BP while standing it was 128/87 and heart rate was 115 , this was standing 5 minutes at the most. anyway I have never had 120/ over anything ever and I felt terrible . Usually its 90's maybe 100 over 60 or 70 .

Should that really make me feel worse or could my body just not be use to it that high? Curious because I'm suppose to be taking fludrocortisone and if that increases BP wouldn't that make me feel worse?

Thanks Lissy

I believe that it is possible that the fludocortisone could make you feel worse. I spent 6 months on florinef and midodrine along with a beta blocker and as my bp went up (even though only a bit and was still technically low) I felt worse. I had terrible episodes of shortness of breath (along with other things) in which I could hardly talk. My cardiologist discounted my symptoms. But once I stopped the meds and my bp returned to its usual very low normal, I felt better. My advice is to start at the lowest dose possible and tell your doctor immediately if you have problems. Good luck

Hi Lissy,

I wish I could relate, but nothing has been able to raise my BP anything near what you experienced last night (I'm usually 70-75/55-60 or so standing). I think that the stress and anger may have had something to do with it, and obviously from what I read you're not used to pressures like that. I agree with Bren in that you should start your Florinef in very small doses and gradually work your way up. I would definitely give it a try and see how you feel.

Hope you're feeling better today!

Cheers,

Jana

It's possible, too, that high blood pressure from being angry and high blood pressure from taking a medication would feel entirely different. Anger is one of my triggers for migraines, so I know it's a powerful emotion. You might have felt crappy because you were mad, not because of what your blood pressure was doing.

Unless fludrocortisone makes you angry, it might be worth a try. :)

Amy

Hey all,

I have not started any meds as of yet. OK last night BP was normal again its so bizarre 124/80 you know I'm wondering because I know about a week before I start my cycle I usually feel very bad and its almost that time and I have never checked my BP during this time except during the day. I wonder if that may be causing this or my BP is regulating itself somehow . Also when its this HIGH which is normal to a healthy person I have tightness in my neck muscles???? Could exhaustion increase BP or dehydration? And can you go from one type of POTS to another???

Lissy

I've wondered if I have gone "from one type of POTS to another" myself. I've never been "diagnosed" into any sub category though! The POTS subtypes are theoretical too. Thankfully, they introduce a few extra measurable signs to play with and research like from this article:

These patients often have extremely high levels of upright norepinephrine. While we require the upright norepinephrine level to be >600 pg/ml for the diagnosis of POTS, the hyperadrenergic subgroup often has upright norepinephrine level >1000 pg/ml and it is occasionally >2000 pg/ml. These patients sometimes have large increases in blood pressure on standing, indicating that baroreflex buffering is somehow impaired.

I also wonder what happens to a person with POTS, if you then develop regular old "essential hypertension"? Might you look like a different sub-type?

Also, one can have more wild dysautonomic "behaviors" than the typical POTS thing. Some people have dysautonomias that include BP fluxuations all over the map. A generalized dysautonomia.

One last angle, it is reported of POTS patients that "They often have a vigorous pressor response to the Valsalva maneuver, with an exaggerated blood pressure recovery and overshoot both before and after release." Even more than in regular folk, we are characterized by an overreaction to this maneuver, which one can accidentally trigger. Maybe one can even be overly sensitive to triggering it too, who knows.