Good Pre Op Visit

MightyMouse

Hey all, had my preop appt today for my gyn surgery on Friday. The Physician's Assistant who interviewed me was really interested in learning about how I got diagnosed, how long it took, why I wasn't identified in childhood, etc. Wasn't planning on going over THAT long a history, but she really asked good questions and was shocked that I didn't get a dx until 32 despite symptoms like fainting at age 4 while getting my first big batch of vaccines before school. She said "fainting is NEVER normal"--so at least someone taught her well!!! just thought I'd share since it was a decent experience.

Nina

Guest tearose

What a comfort and relief. They care, asked tons of questions and want to assure you will have a successful procedure.

You are in a good place for surgery. I hope you feel more at ease now.

Keeping you in my healing thoughts,

tearose

I'm working on the cloning process for ya!!! If she was in private practice I'd be signing on as a patient right now. She asked the right questions about how, exactly, the collagen problems were related to all my other various diagnoses. She was really shocked that it took so long to get a diagnosis, but then said, "well, I can see how you might not realize your body works differently from other bodies if you've had it since birth" -- but still, she couldn't believe that the POTS dx didn't come until 32. She then asked how the collagen problem was identified and also about which family members had the same issues, whether I have children, etc.

Of course I got my period last night AND have a wicked migraine. Blech.

Nina

Nina,

Best of luck with your surgery on Friday, and I'm sending positive thoughts to banish your headache - sorry, can't do anything about the period. ;) Isn't it great to hit a really good doctor/PA once in a while? It give the rest of us hope! Keep us updated on your surgery and recovery.

Best wishes,

Cheers,

Jana

Thanks all... I'm home and a bit sore and crampy. For all the good parts of my pre op visit, my experience with the anesthesiologist today was a disaster. She saw my list of diagnoses and decided I needed more clearances. I am looking forward to filling out my patient survey b/c the anesth. doc was an absolute idiot and nearly canceled procedure despite several of my personal doc's faxes and phone calls clearing me medically. Teri and I were both calling my gp's office, who's been awesome, and my gyn was arguing on my behalf too... so I ended up having my procedure 3 hours late, but it's done, and I'm relieved.

Time to lay down and sleep with the kitties as bed warmers!

Nina

Praying for speedy healing and a healthier future!

On the flip side, don't be too hard on the anesthesiologist. I respect a doctor who recognizes and admits when they are in over their heads! I'd rather have one be overly cautious and have you come out OK, than one who thinks "piece of cake" and gets you into serious complications! Remember how few doctors actually know how to deal with "us!"

Be well, Nina!