Question Regarding Compression Stockings?

Jen2533

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I was missing in action for a bit. I had a great week last week with a final confirmed diagnosis of POTS and Myasthenia which is responding very well to treatment...hooray!!! So, I am supposed to get compression stockings and before I spend the money I wanted to ask about the size. My cardiologist said he could give me a script for thigh highs but most of his patients find them annoying and end up getting the knee highs over the counter. I am 5'6" and weigh 120, I lost all my muscle and most of my fat while waiting for a diagnosis so my calves are quite small. However I don't want to get them so tight that it hurts. What is the best size for other petite ladies out there?

Thank you so much!

Jen

Hi Jen,

I'm surprised he didn't want you to get the hose that go up to your waist....The best way to get your size is to take your prescription to a medical supply company, who will measure you and get the right fit. Also, the doctor usually writes the 'strength' of hose you should get on the prescription. Hopefully your insurance will cover all if not part of the cost of the hose. I got two pairs, so I could be washing and letting a pair dry and I wore the other pair.

Hope this helps!

cheers,

Jana

I've also heard that to really help with POTS you need at least thigh high but waist high is strongly recommended. I hate the waist high ones but, i love the thigh highs. I get so hot that i hated having them from my toes to above my bottom ribs. But, yes you should be able to go to a place that will measure you for the stockings.

Guest tearose

When you stop and think about it, if it is going to give you a better quality of life and it is non-invasive why not try?

I have had to use the waist high 30-40 hose and now am use to the donning ritual. I make sure to get them on in the morning and I allow time. It does take about 10-20 minutes for the body to adjust after getting them on. I just know it makes such a big difference in my life so I hope you will too.

best regards,

tearose

I would like to give them a try, but I break out in a rash from the elastic that is in regular nylons. I can only imagine what compression stockings would do to me. Also, I am far from being petite. Do they come in sizes for larger women?

I initially went to a medical supply store where they measured me and ordered my first stockings. It was more expensive than ordering my hose off of the internet, but I wanted to get the right fit. Since then, I've ordered different brands from a site called www.brightlifedirect.com. It saves me a good 20% over going to a medical supply store, and they have a measuring chart for each brand that they sell. I measured myself and have gotten the right fit each time.

I was advised by Mayo to get waist-high compression, but with my digestive issues I've found that thigh-high are most comfortable on a daily basis. I wear 20-30mm compression. I have an elastic lumbar support that I wear for abdominal compression as needed.

Caron, are you latex sensitive? If so, there are several options for latex-free compression.

Compression hose were the first treatment I used when starting to manage my POTS symptoms. They've been the easiest and most effective. I even wear them all summer long. I had to stop wearing them for just 2 weeks this past summer while I was treating some athlete's foot, and I became more symptomatic each day. It was wierd. It's like the hose have a cumulatively positive affect for me.

Guest tearose

I do my best with the JUZO brand. I feel no side effects of the compression or the elasticity in these. They can be costly but my pharmacy tries to pass a small discount on to me since the insurance company does not cover them.

I get itchy from the Futuro brand.

I haven't tried Juzo. I currently use Jobst surgical weight (I get runs too easily in anything lighter weight). They are still pretty soft and comfortable. About $60 a pair for the thigh-high, I think? I also get the "it stays" body adhesive so the thigh highs don't slide down. I've also used Bright Life's Allegro brand, which is about half the cost of anything else. They do the job, but aren't as soft and breathable.