Mri With Contrast!!

anna

Does your daughter have many allergies to meds? You might want to point out your concerns to the staff performing the MRI, so they're advised in case something does go wrong. I'm allergic to contrast dye, it puts me into anaphalytic shock, so they have to pre-dose me with a large amount of Benadryl. Hope all goes well, but better safe....

Good luck,

Jana

Hi- I have had many MRI"S with contrast and never had a problem with the dye. I do have a lot of allergies and have had reactions to meds that were very serious ( now I have an epi pen). I always worry about the dye but it has been fine.

remember they are ready for the rare person that comes in there and does react. having the MRI is so much safer then a CAT scan. Good luck... I know as a mother this must be so hard on you!

I have some issues with Gadolinium. It causes heart palps and slight nausea for me. I ask for a half dose if possible and for it to be given a bit slowly. Both of these reactions are normal with the contrast. (Wish I had been told that when it first happened!!!) I don't premedicate, as it isn't an allergic reaction. I have to have MRIs every 3 months to monitor a pituitary tumor, so this is getting to be old hat for me. Good luck!

Sara

I've also had many MRI's with gadolinium. If they're injecting it directly into her bloodstream, it can cause you to feel very warm and even make you feel as though you need to urinate. But I've also had many injections into my hip joint, where I felt none of those effects.

My mom is allergic to contrast and has developed hives at times (which could lead to more serious reactions, like breathing problems). So she notifies the staff before the procedure, but the medications to stop anaphylaxis are always somewhere close by for any patient, in case of a reaction.

The main thing you need to process the gadolinium is adequate kidney function. Try to have her well-hydrated that day.

I've had no problems with it- I've had it many times. I have MCAD & carry an epi-pen. The radiology tech will describe exactly what your daughter will feel. They can see & communicate with her at all times. If she feels ANYTHING other than what they describe (sometimes a feeling of warmth, a metallic taste, etc.) she needs to speak up. She will most likely have an IV for the contrast so she can easily receive an antihistamine or epinepherine if it becomes necessary.

If your daughter has had a problem with X-rays, CT-scans, or MRI's on the past, there is a med protocol that she can take an hour prior to protect her. I got a copy from my masto doctor at Brigham & Women's, let me know if you'd like that.

All the best-

Julie

I have multiple med allergies, and have had MANY mri's with contrast without a single incident that was a problem. It's not one of the types of contrast the frequently causes problems.

Nina