What Do Your Palpitations Feel Like?

ana_22

hi!

ive had palpitations increase the last couple of days. Ive been searching the site on info about palpitations as its not something i deal with regularly. what i usually feel is my heart beat in my limbs or chest. sometimes i have missed beats and other times i have sinking feeling then a loud thump to my chest.

this time ive been having more irregular beats....like a double beat...normal beats then maybe a skipped beat and a double beat again.

the double beats can happen a few times a minute. hen ill have regular beating for a few minutes then it will start again.

i guess im a little concerned. im going to call my cario but i doubt anyone will get back to me till next week.

is this normal for pots?

i had a 24 hour holter 1.5 years ago that was fine. and various ecgs last one probably 6 months ago. all ok.

i guess i just want to know what your palpitations are like? is irregular beating considered a palpation?

thanks guys

Hi Ana,

Mine are similar to what you describe, too. Mainly missed beats and double beats. Sometimes I'll get that heavy feeling in my chest, too, especially after I first lie down, and then I'll get a bunch of heavy fast beats altogether. Also pain flares in my chest. My cardio told me not to worry unless they last for more than a couple of minutes or so, but of course you may have a different situation going on. I'd call you cardio.

Cheers,

Jana

Hi,

mine are the same also they mostly happening standing and they will come with a shortness of breath feeling and pass quickly. I usually take a deep breath or cough and it stops the panic feeling for me. I do get chest pain like a heart-ache feeling sometimes usually during menses with more palps.

Lissy

My experience too. I was also told that if it goes on for a couple of minutes it is of concern. Mine last maybe 5 seconds (but feels like an eternity). Good to talk to your doctor to get peace of mind.

I would add that I find I am now very sensitive to caffeine much of the time. I can drink tea or eat chocolate occasionally, but I have noticed that if I drink coffee even once, or if I drink tea daily or have several servings of chocolate over several days, I am more likely to have disturbing palpitations.

Mine fit your description to a tee!

"like a double beat...normal beats then maybe a skipped beat and a double beat again."

Mine sometimes include a "pressure" feeling that falls short of pain (have only had full chest pain once, thankfully). Mine last only 5 seconds or so, I think. My breathing gets a little irregular too, as the heart gets my full attention for a bit!

Though palpitations seem to end up being minor in most cases and I certainly hope yours are nothing serious, I think you are very right to seek attention especially since you describe a rather consistent and kind of longer lasting episode.

Kind of like a fish flopping in my chest at irregular intervals.

I have a history of supraventricular tachycardia--way back in 1985 from mitral valve prolapse and the missed beats/extra beats, whatever was/is going on always felt oddly like my heart itself was flopping.

Do you get chest pain with your palpitations? They now happen at the same time for me, it seems. A Holter monitor would sort all this out and make sense of what I feel.

I notice more palpitations when I am lying down and wonder if it is related to the increase in blood pressure.

A year ago my irregular heart beats were coming on stronger and more frequent and as a result playing havoc with my nerves! When I went to my cardiologist he assured me they were begign and that -- I quote "unless you are having more than 10,000 skipper beats a day, I am not going to do anything."

I did the math and that would have been more than 1 'skipper beat' (doesn't it make them sound less hidious when you call them that -- lol) every 10 seconds ALL DAY LONG. Like you I was getting a few a minute.

Despite his reassurance they do still set me off balance. He did recommend Slo-Mag brand magnesium supplement (i was taking magnesium but a diferent brand) and I get waaaay fewer skipper beats ;-) now on the supplement.

Good luck finding answers that ease your mind.