Wierd Symptom

niki

Hi, everyone I am new here. I am wondering if anyone has difficulty using their hands at times because of POTS? I'm not sure exactly how to explain it, but it is as if my brain can't tell my hands what they want them to do. Hopefully that makes sense. Has anyone else experienced this or anything similar?

Hi Niki, and welcome!

Have you been diagnosed with POTS or another autonomic disorder? What you describe isn't one of the typical symptoms, but there are so many ways they can manifest themselves. When I was at my worst, I had tingling in my hands and my feet, and a few times, I had trouble walking because I felt like my legs were rubber and would just go out from under me.

It sounds like a good question to ask your doctor.

Amy

How is your reach? Are you "missing" things that you reach for or try to touch? I noticed several months ago that I started "undershooting" door knobs and other things that we can normally do without thinking. For example, if I mindlessly reach up to scratch an itch on my face, I end up missing it by a centimeter or so, then have to readjust.

The technical name for this is dysmetria. This is what a neurologist is looking for when they do the "finger to nose" test.

Debbie

P.S. I'm writing this in "edit" mode. I meant to post this under Niki's original post. I guess I even missed that!!!

I drop things, miss things, get intention tremors, and notice when I over do it on projects and am getting tired I can't focus as much as I would like. My hands get tired and won't do detail work or curve as much as they should because it's almost as if my brain can't tell them how to do the positions, not that they're not able to. It's slow and uncomfortable. But I manage. I take a break, rest my eyes and head, and get back to it. :3

It's all about twice the focus for half the work. XD

Yep. In the beginning of this year I had the strangest thing with my hands. "can't tell my hands what they want them to do" would be the perfect way to describe it. It happened when I was trying to flip a spoon in my hand and my fingers just wouldn't go in the right direction, or when I tried to eat chips or operate a fork...anything that required a little more precision and coordination on my fingers' part. The doc's thought it was MS and did an MRI, but no :rolleyes: Then they did an XR of my neck and found that it doesn't have the natural curve to it, but is flattened, so hey said it probably pinches a nerve or whatever and it somehow affects my hand movements. I didn't buy that, but it kinda went away after a few weeks....