baroreceptor reflexes

Guest tearose

Guest tearose

Part of my form of pots is due to denervation in my legs and abdomen. Does anyone know if there is any way to "re-innervate" our legs? Is anyone doing research in this area? Thanks, tearose

Tearose,

Mayo told me that exercising the leg and abdominal muscles is supposed to help heal (or compensate for) the damaged nerves. The nerves control the constriction of blood vessels in an upright posture. When the nerves don't work, it may cause pooling in the legs, low BP, tachycardia and fainting. Stronger muscles will pump more blood back to your heart and reduce these symptoms. They said it takes a few months to see the benefits of the exercises, but I figure there is nothing to lose.

-Rita

Guest tearose

Rita, what kind of exercise do you do?

Justin, I did a web search on the "yaz" where did you learn about them? I like having a sheet to follow but I'd need to do all these sitting down at least to start! Do you manage standing up to do all these?

Thanks for the feedback! tearose

Dear Tearose,

Even on my worst days I try to rock in my rocker, and yes it helps. On better days I try to walk 20-30 minutes a day, even try 10 minutes a few times a day. One of the exercises I was given by my cardio was to stand against a wall and

1 try to "sqaut", bend a little at the knees and lean your back against the wall for support, slide your back up and down the wall 2-5 times and sqaut

2 try to flex your ankles while your back is supported agianst the wall do what you can, I do about 25 a time

Repeat as often as is tolerable. Sometimes I can, sometimes I can't.

Blackwolf

Tearose,

Mayo told me to go to the gym and use the leg and ab weight machines. Since I'm not quite ready for this yet, (lol!) I bought adjustable ankle weights. I do leg lifts (keeping the leg straight w/o bending knee) lying on my stomach, back and sides, and leg kicks and circles lying on my sides. I mostly got the exercises from my pilates DVD, I just added the weights to make it more effective. Since everything is lying down, I haven't had any symptoms. You can do the same exercises w/o weights if you're just starting.

Good luck,

Rita