Help! Instant Hives From A New Lipstick! And Burning!

iheartcats

I just put on a new Givenchy lipstick (not cheap and I wear their perfume)...I like a makeup treat once in a while.

Well, 5 seconds after putting it on I hived out all over my chest/torso. I scrubbed it off (my lips are burning, probably a combo from the reaction PLUS intensive scrubbing)...and I took a Benadryl.

The hives are improving, but feeling like crap now and I have stuff to do tonight (tired, shaky, dizzy...you know how this type of stuff sets off our POTS).

I read the ingredients...nothing out of the ordinary. Even the 'colors' are similar to what I usually wear. The only thing I can think of is the fragrance? No clue. I tried it on my hand successfully at the store, but as soon as I put it all over my lips - HIVES.

This was the worst hive flare-up I've had in a while.

I am due for my Zyrtec around 7:30pm and just took a Benadryl. I can't find my Benadryl box. You can safely take a second Benadryl 6 hours later, correct? I know once I take a Benadryl AFTER Zytect I'll zonk out, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I'm really stressing over this. LIPSTICK? CHEST/TORSO HIVES?

Doctor Office told me to just take Benadryl tonight and resume Zyrtec tomorrow - is this typical? They said I can take two Benadryl before bed (50MG) or one every 4 hours (say at 9pm and 1am)...

I guess I can take my Zyrtec a few hours early tomorrow then get back on my 6pm schedule. I don't want to take a Benadryl in the AM tomorrow. Will be too tired. :X

Benadryl makes me SO THIRSTY! Boo.

sorry to hear this..I was gonna just suggest benadryl.

I HATE FRAGRANCES as we never know what 'they contain' and frankly, I HATE SMELL in everything, especially my makeup..especially lipstick.

It's not one of those lip volume plumping deals is it? I've heard those can burn...anyway, I hate how Pricey or cheap make up has junk in it..even the ALL NATURAL stuff smells like perfume and I can't wear it.

Make notes and CALL the place where you bought it and ask for refund. If put on credit card, that gives you LEVERAGE for refund as well.

Sorry about the reaction. Hope the benadryl helps...HYDRATE!! that stuff is very drying :(

Benadryl is helping the hives...but of course not the POTS flare. I have a busy weekend. I wish I wouldn't have purchased this darn lipstick, but it was so pretty. I must stick to my main brands!

I'm still a little itchy, but tolerable.

It's so weird how some brands are fine, then another is a huge flare up of this magnitude.

Just wanted to add that I had my makeup put on for free at one of the cosmetic counters' makeup extravanganzas. I bought some stuff. It was not cheap. It all gave me a headache. I returned it all and got my money back.

Moral of the story: The price of the product has nothing to do with how I'll react to it.

Sorry this happened. Our environment is full of junk, and who's to say our POTS wasn't brought on by some of these chemicals? IMO, us POTsy need to be extra cautious in introducing substances to our bodies. We're already overloading with a malfunctioning ANS.

I had a (sortof) similar experience once with Herbal Essences shampoo. I used a trial of it, and my head immediately got really itchy and my throat felt like it was closing up. I must have been really allergic to something in it.

Needless to say, I stuck with my good, old, cheap Suave for years after that! :(

Luckily I found the receipt - I can exchange it for a product I use often for skin care that I'm halfway through. Something practical that doesn't give me rashes.

I'm glad I am not the only one who has flare-ups from random things. I think my family is a bit annoyed, but I can't make this up. Wish I was! But I was full of hives.

If your family gets too cranky, tell them you've developed a sudden allergy to THEM ... and go do something fun!

(Just kidding. Families can be trying at times, however.)

Amy

That's cute! I'm forcing myself to sit up and be social. Benadryl sure makes you drowsy and thirsty! I'll be glad to be back on Zyrtec tomorrow.

I noticed on the lipstick that the fragrance ingredient was in the middle (not toward the bottom) so whatever it was (and I found it somewhat stinky) might have really activated a bad allergic reaction. I think I'll email the company. I compared a lot of the ingredients to other things I use and the two big ones that stood out are fragrance and bees wax. Can one be allergic to bees wax?

I know it was the lipstick. It happened a few seconds after putting it on.

Thanks for everyone's advice and for listening. I didn't need this to happen this busy weekend but I'm starting to feel a bit better but very tired.

I'm so very sorry what happened to you....

I'm a real seneitive person.. hives on th lips would have sent me to the Er to be safe.

I take ALEGRRA24/7 and when anything starts to happen I take, BENADRYL 2, 50MG TO TREAT the breakthrough itching, hives,

I used to carry an eppie pen and will discuss this with dr. castells again. the er usually gives them to me...

THERE ARE TIMES If I DON'T take another med I'll rub my skin rught off espically my nose, legs then it's so red for days.

WHAT AN ITCH!

Be well all.....

bellamia~

Much to my Mother's dismay, I do not wear makeup of any kind. :( I could never tolerate the fragrance. Perfumes are a horrible trigger for me, I can smell lacquer thinner all day, but get near me with Este Lauder and I'll sneeze my head off and my eyes will swell shut and the roof of my mouth will itch! I use the same soap and shampoo that I have for the last 15-20 years and have learned not to change it! I have to have unscented laundry soap too, my husband bought the wrong type once and washed a load of clothes in it; I put on a shirt and ended up with full body hives! :o Obviously I don't wear perfumes either, if I don't hive up immediately from them, they end up smelling acrid on my skin...not nice at all! :)

Firewatcher,

YOU Are soooo full of helpful knowledge... I can't buy anything makeup products, perfumes until I have sampled them lightly and waited several days as for the reasons of major rashes and migranes. I've gone to those home makeup parties because I've felt committed in the past. (Pre pots dx but was still itching and a sratching) and was so put down by the host of the makeup products, wiith commets like, "you better buy now or you'll be sorry later!" How dare that grouchy "Itch sales person" tying to make a buck off of me. say thing like that. I'll bet my skin is way better than her's today and I barely wear makeup... LOL! :lol: Most of the Postie's I've met or seen have beautiful faces skin wise... how are all your natural faces?

Oh now please forgive me I forget how to spell your name, but about your aftershave remember you gave us good advice before and said avoid our triggers. It's painful when we want to smell a certain way and our body won't even let us. Grrrr.... I think witch hazel can be used as a natural aftershave and is very soothing, especially when kept in the fridge.I love to smell pretty, but not when it means a migrain all day long or being extra potsie.

Firewatcher, I gave up all the shampoos with all the sodium lauryl sulfate and Right now I can't remember the other sodium lauryl ingredinet that made a big difference. We have a whole Foods that carrys some great line of natural shampoos and if you don't like then you can return them same with Trader Joes as they sell some also. I was itching my head especially in the night like crazy. I was with some dumb, guy who is gone with the wind now who said I didn't wash my hair morning and night so that is why I itched but, then I did every day and that was too much for me.

I'm so tired that I can't go over the stairs but 2 time a week so in between I use good old baby power and brush it through my hair, just a small amount. Works like a charm for me. Anyone remember that dry shampoo in a spray bottle called Psst? Well, that what is was basically and it works great for me and gives my hair more fullness. When my son in his 20's son me one day and said what did you do to your hair it looks great mom? I said it's powder and don't laugh!!!! He Said I'm going to try it one day...LOL Anything to make life easier there days...

Enjoy this most beautiful day all of you,

xxx's,

BellaMia~ :rolleyes:

I have to test all my products, too...I know what brands/items tend to be OK for me overall and I should stick with them.

I can wear some perfumes. Some make me itch, sneeze and headache...but I have the handful I can wear. I love makeup and perfume. Always have. Some people aren't into it (waves at Firewatcher)...I know people like that and it's a personal preference.

I just don't want POTS to come between myself and something I really enjoy (I used to do make-up for amateur theaters, friends/family events, etc). It is kind of a hobby, I'd say.

I'd never had a product give me such a bad reaction. I wonder if the lipstick scent was partly an essential oil. I don't do well with essential oils (but am OK with some normal fragrance sprays and lotions).

Glad I'm not alone in this. I'm just not going to buy any more of that brand and carry on. Fortunately the Benadryl seemed to kick in quickly and I'm better now (about a day later). No more hives! Until something else bothers me! LOL

And I don't even take Benadryl when I get random hives from heat/eating something normal/etc. They just go away. These lipstick hives were a different beast.