Frightened... Waiting For The Doctor To Confirm Pit. Tumor

delphicdragon

I had an MRI of my pituitary yesterday and got a copy of the results for my records. I had one in 2005 and one in 2006 - both showed a slightly enlarged pituitary, but no tumor. Comparing the last MRI to the current one, there is a hypointense area on the pituitary gland that wasn't there last time. :-( I'm so scared. This is consistent with a microadenoma of the pituitary. (Yes, I'm not a radiologist, nor do I play one on TV - but I've gotten quite good at reading these things and this is a distinct change from last time)

I don't expect the doctor to get the results until Monday or Tuesday, but I'm running myself ragged right now. Granted, it would explain a lot of things, including why my POTS is getting worse as of late and I'm getting a lot of chest pain / nausea too. I just don't know what to do right now- other than wait - and it's something I'm very bad at doing. Any ideas as to what I can do to calm down until this is official? Has anyone ever had a hypointense area on their pituitary that wasn't a tumor?

Sara :-(

I don't know anything about pituitary tumors, but I just wanted you to know that I understand and sympathize with your fear. There's nothing worse than awaiting test results.

I hope you get answers soon. In the meantime, take good care of yourself. Do things you like to do. I know it's impossible advice, but try not to worry yourself sick.

Sending you a hug!

Amy

Hey Sara,

I have microadenomas & I've been told thery're no big deal. My sign was a slight leakage of my breasts. That prompted an MRI that showed an enlarged pituitary. I had one follow-up...no change. The leakage isn't bad- just a drop here & there. My prolactin blood work was always negative, but my gyn said it wasn't definitive.

I take ranitidine & that can exacerbate this conditon, BUT I must because of my MCAD. Other meds like reglan and domperidone can worsen microadenomas. Google it and see a complete list of drugs.

Even if it is a microadenoma, they're rarely troublesome. There are meds you can take to shrink them BUT the side effects are pretty bad. I bet your worsening dysautonomia is just coincidental. A good nuerologist should be able to help you straighten things out.

Let us know what you learn & I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs-

Julie

Hi Sara,

Like Julie, I also have some lumps and bumps in my head (pituitary and pineal.) My pituitary one is tiny and only a rathke cleft cyst. When I had my crash in '07, I was sure that it was a pituitary tumor, now I wish it was...it would have been fixed by now! According to my second pituitary specializing endocrinologist the internal carotid artery comes very, very close to there and if they catch the MRI slice just the right way, it creates a hypodensity. As far as surgery is concerned, if it comes to that, it is supposedly one of the easier brain surgeries, they go in through the nose. ;)

Anyway, they watch my head bumps with yearly MRI's and bloodwork. If it was huge, they usually call you same day. Relax till you see your doc, you have treatment options!

(((((((((((((((((((hug))))))))))))))))))))

Jennifer

Well, I have the results in hand, but have yet to hear from the doctor - even though the results themselves say "Clinical Correlation is recommended."

I'll copy it here:

IMPRESSION:

1. Area of asymmetric enhancement noted within the region of the pars intermedia with slight deviation of the infundibular stalk to the left. Although this finding is non-specific, differential considerations may include a pars intermedia cyst versus a small microademona. Clinical Correlation is recommended.

2. Otherwise, normal appearing MRI of the brain without evidence of focal mass, midline shift or acute intracranial hemorrhage. No abnormal enhancement is noted.

So I guess I do have a brain (always a good thing) and a tumor/cyst of some sort. NOW HOW DO I GET MY DOCTOR TO CALL ME????

Sara

Hi Sara,

I have a pituitary microadenoma as well. At first I thought "OMG! I am scared! What does this mean? Is it causing my symptoms?" I was reassured by my MD that it was nothing to worry about, maybe just monitor "every so often". Do you have visual problems or severe headaches? Do you have abnormal menstrual cycles or an elevated prolactin level? If so, these things might be related to the microadenoma. Let us know what your doctor says. In the meantime, think positive thoughts :)

~ Broken_Shell :)

I have to say my peace on the microadenomas. If it is just a prolactinoma, USUALLY they don't cause any problems unless they get above around 1 cm. However, a microadenoma CAN secrete pit. hormones and wreak havoc on your body. And in the opposite condition, they can make the pit. secrete less of a needed hormone, and also wreak havoc on the body. I have been on a Cushing's disease forum for years where people were gaining 100 lbs. or more and getting all of the other symptoms, and their pit. tumors were 5mm! I had sent my MRI to a top neurosurgeon in the south, and I had just "areas" that were noticed, nothing hardly noticeable, but he said just to watch my hormone levels. I guess that's what your radiologist meant when he said to correlate with the clinical picture of your symptoms. Don't let your doctor blow it off--test, test, and test often to watch all the hormone levels. And, to agree with the others, if you would need surgery, it is one of the better brain surgeries to have, from what I understand.

So, I would like to know how many other of us have microadenomas, or just "areas" that stand out and need to be watched.

:) Kind of makes me wonder....