Burning Mouth & Throat

gertie

I use to get BMS (burning mouth syndrome) often there is a lot on the web about it. Some say dentists are good people to try.

Also hormones seem to play a role, and as I am perimenapausal that probably contributes.

I read one article that suggested BMS was related to "bracing" or tongue thrusting. in my case, that seemed plausible -- so I began to focus on relaxing my jaw, lips and tongue. I also tried the diet tips I found online.

Not sure what eventually worked ... but its probably been 6 months or more and it hasn't come back.

Good luck finding something that works for you.

Hey, please let me know if you get any help because I have this too! Last summer, I started to get burning in my feet which spread upward within a week to my hands, then face, then mouth, then entire body. Oddly enough, one easy treatment for the burning mouth for me is benadryl. Benadryl doesn't help the burning anywhere else, but I've read that excess histamine can cause odd taste sensations. My mouth tastes like metal. I've brought this up to my PCP, neurologist locally, and the neuro at Mayo and NO ONE HAS ANY HELP! Also, I've tried neurontin and lyrica which helped with the peripheral burning but not my mouth and throat. I told my PCP it's like I've just drank a scalding cup of coffee, all the time.

The Mayo neurologist was stymied when I brought it up and I think he just attributed it to neuropathy. I notice that during times of excessive adrenaline release (I have a mildly hyperadrenergic response to orthostatic stressors), the burning gets worse and benadryl helps although it takes over an hour to kick in. Now, often I take zyrtec for my hayfever but this doesn't help my burning mouth at all. Wierd!!!

I have the tingling burning lips and mouth, also the metal taste. I started on 400mg twice a day of B1 and haven't had it since. Now I hate to say anything is a direct relationship for us with ANS problems, but this has seemed to work for me for the past 4 months. Crossing my fingers it's stays this way. Good luck, and let know if you find something that works for you.

Alicia,

My Mom had this & found relief when she switched away from minty or strong mouthwashes and toothpastes. She switched to gentle herbals & the problem went away. Here is a link to more info. There are many different causes and treatments:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/burning-m...yndrome/DS00462

All the best-

Julie