Dysautonomia & Pots

gertie

I'm still confused. Are they the same? My PCP keeps calling my symptoms POTS but I don't pass out when I stand up. The dr that diagnosed me called it dys. My BP does fall some upon standing & I do have vasovagal syncope brought on by certain type pain. My worst symptoms are migraines, autonomic seizures, eyes not focusing, IBS, dizziness, tiredness, thyroid & adrenal problems, sweating, shaking, arrythmia, & I will pass out from exposure to chemicals, or from medications,& I get light headed if I stand too long, I could go on & on as nothing works as it supposed to.

When you say POTS does that mean that your main problems are fainting, BP dropping, heart rate, & blood pooling in legs? Sorry to be so dumb but I'm trying to understand if there is a difference. Thanks.

Alicia,

As far as I understand it, dysautonomia is an 'umbrella' term for different types of autonomic system disorders, which includes POTS. Please take the time to read about POTS and associated disorders on the DINET website, and look up the NDRF website as well. It sounds like perhaps some reading and research is the best way to answer your questions.

Take care!

Jana

You don't have to faint or have a drop in blood pressure to be diagnosed with POTS, although some POTS patients do. To be diagnosed with POTS you have to have an increase in heart rate of 30bpm or more within 10 mintues of standing.

Check out the main DINET website. There's a lot of information there about POTS. I think that will help you to understand POTS and dysautonomia better.

Rachel