To Port Or Not To Port?

sandymbme

I just started IV fluid therapy three times a week. I think the fluids are doing me some good, but I am getting frustrated with how hard it is to get the IV started in the first place. I am a terrible stick and apparently have microscopic veins. The home health care nurse has suggested talking to my PCP about getting a port put in, and I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts or imput? I am just a little nervous about the idea....

I don't think that any centres in the UK advise IV fluids for POTS except for emergencies when you can't keep any fluids down because of vomiting or during surgical treatment.

I have friends who have gone through chemo, and one who has cystic fibrosis so has to have lots of IV antibiotics for chest infections. For chemo Hickmann lines are fairly standard but having a line in your chest means that you can't get it wet or take a bath. Having a port is a bit more invasive but because the port is under the skin when it doesn't have a needle in for access you can bath/shower as normal. The main risk of these long-term IV access options is infection - the plastics used are a natural breeding place for bacteria and line infection can lead to life threatening sepsis. It is a risk/benefit equation that you will have to discuss with your doctor in respect to your individual situation.

There is a sort of half-way option (still has the infection risks but is much less invasive) which is to consider a PICC line (peripherally inserted central catheter). A PICC is a very fine tube that is usually placed in the arm and reaches up into the central circulation inside a vein. It allows drugs or fluids to be given (slowly) and can be kept in place for several months.

Let us know what your doctor advises.

Flop

Miss Flop lays it out beautifully. Don't forget, with a PICC line, you still have to wrap it in plastic and protect it when you bathe. The few folks I know with PICC lines, who took every precaution, still ended up hospitalized with sepsis. It's a huge risk. I hope you figure out the best solution for you.

Julie

I'm going through the same thing....They want a port, as I get my fluids in a hospital....IV theraphy has talked to me for months about a port. I can't believe the places they use to access my veins... THE VASCULAR SURGEON, said we must wait till all infections are cleared up and then 10 days after extensive blood work would be done......I DON'T WANT ONE, but i'm to the point I have to have one.

I wish you the best of luck.... THEY ressured me they could take me to the OR and remove it right away if and infection set in.....and they would put one in that the could put in fluids/meds and a another to draw blood. I would have to get fluids the day before and be kept over night due to bleeding problems...

bellamia~